Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I make our server in my bedroom an online one for all

Hi,

Our small clan has a server we play together on via a LAN.

We want to expand and make it an unranked server that you see listed on the BF2 multiplayer page when selecting what server your going to log onto.

We don't want to hire one, waste of time owning our own then.

How do we do this?

Any help or advice greatly apreciated?

Mickey

Re: How do I make our server in my bedroom an online one for all

go on the BF2 website and go dowload the server utilitary in the download section. just follow the instructions after.

Only 1 thing: are you sure you have enough upload space (download speed is asymetric: for exemple, i get 5 mbs/s download (towards me) and 1 mb/s upload)? its necessary to ensure lag-free gameplay. Also, it might get a lot of you upload quota so make sure you have enough space.

Comment

Youll need....,

A Router for all your port forwarding needs.
      Possibly a Static IP or at the very least a persistant IP.
      512k Upload speed minimum.
      A spare machine thats good for the dedicated server requirements.

That should be it..., a tip tho dont make your server machine wireless, its much more fun having 5miles of Cat5e running around the house :P

I think thats it..., oh no youve got to purchase a chip to put on your shoulder thats 6yds wide since your now a server admin.

Comment

@ A Smith, I can look at getting a faster conncetion if need be,its no prob.

Didnt understand what you ment by 'upload quota' [searching after this reply]

Thanks fella

@ Frazzman Ha ha, 6 wide

A router as in my BT one that does cat 5 and wireless?
        Won't my home connection be a static IP?
        What are the dedicated server requirements?

Thanks for your reply

Mickey

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey123

A router as in my BT one that does cat 5 and wireless?
          Won't my home connection be a static IP?
          What are the dedicated server requirements?
          - Router yep that will do, always good to have a server "hardwired" as it were rather than wireless, more reliable.

- Dunno bout your connection youll have to check with your ISP some offer it some dont, plus id check if you have any bandwidth limitations on your home line too coz itll chew it up like no-ones business.

- Dedicated server reqs are on teh EA official pages somewhere.

Comment

thanks mate, your advice greatly received!! :]

Comment

W00t .. do i get my Driver ability points now???

hehehe nps hope you get it up and running.., its an eye opening experience running your own home server

Comment

One other thing....you router probably has some kind of firewall on it. You may have to open up certain ports on your router to get BF2 going. Either that or do some port forwarding.

Back in the days of me playing Unreal, I usually just placed my machine on the DMZ and it worked great. Of course this effectively makes your server not have a firewall, but a software one on your box will work...

Comment

Cheers Modmaven. I beleive have to port forward re Emule and getting a High ID? Is this the same thing your on about but for the surver of course.

Comment

Is this a home internet connection? It's probably not going to work that well anyway to make the effort to make this a public server.

Comment

It is at home conectioin mate but Id upgrade it to a business conection if / when this goes ahead.

Comment

Working...
                      X