Do you use a mic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you use a mic?

I don't use one right now, but I have been thinking about starting to. What are your thoughts about advantages/disadvantages to using a mic in the game?

Re: Do you use a mic?

If you're referring to a headset, the advantages are huge. Better sound, having a headset on vs. speakers (can be as loud as you want, and you'll pick up on the little things easier - footsteps/etc..).

Pretty much all clan-play / competitive gaming is done w/headsets.

Having a mic in pub play is nice if you get into squads on VoIP servers, or Command (I try to command only on VoIP servers).

Comment

voip is crucial when you're commanding or squad leader

Comment

what they said

Comment

I dont use one, but i like people that do, especially a squad leader or commander that does. Clear advantage in being able to tell people specifically what you want them to do and where youd like them to go. Could be an advantage to answer back but i find voice enabled squad members turn it into a democracy and orders tend to be questioned and debated rather than just getting on with it. I suppose as with most things that it depends on the people you play with.
          What i hate about it is you tend to get confusing messages and people telling you in voice about a tank coming from a vague direction rather than spotting it for all to see. Also you get people that want to commentate on everything there doing which is just annoying.

Biggest disadvantage is the risk of being commited to a mental institution for apparently talking to an inanimate object for hours on end.

Comment

use it like 66.66% of the time..

Comment

Only on occasion if I feel like shrieking into it

Comment

The best is when I'm squad leader and the commander doesn't have a mic and is doing a pathetic job at commanding... I like to start screaming at him, yelling profanities and such, all while incessanty Tking him.

J/K But I do speak my mind when they do a poor job.

Comment

I use it all the time, i use Ventrilo though

Comment

I don't think I'll ever use a mic because if people say even half the crap they type....I don't think I want to hear that -- let alone respond to it.

Comment

When I go in a game I usually mute everyone, if I'd use the mic I'd use ventrillo but when people talk in the actual game with the v button or whatever it mutes everything else in my game out and all I can hear is them talking.

Comment

Originally posted by Eternal-Souljah
                        ... but when people talk in the actual game with the v button or whatever it mutes everything else in my game out and all I can hear is them talking.
                        That is a good point. I use VOIP quite a bit, but there are occasions when squad members just won't shut up and I can't hear what's going on around me. I play very instinctly based on sound before sight, and I hate when I'm getting shot at and can't hear where it's coming from. Listening also helps avoid someone sneaking up to knife you.

Comment

I'm in a clan so mic use is necessary. I enjoy the game much much more and it's easy to say "APC heading to xxx flag" as opposed to typing it in only to get lost with commander spamming or n00bs complaining.

Comment

if there are decent people to talk to.. and enjoy the game the way it suppose to be, yes I do use it from time to time.

Comment

ALL the time
                              form a squad with me and mates and usually chattin n joking a bit but mostly were on about the game.

The only thing that annoys me about voIP us when other players try to order you about even tho u ahve told em to sod off :P

Comment

Working...
                              X