Artillery Attacks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artillery Attacks!

Ok...so I've been roaming around these forums and read all the things about Artillery and how ridiculously annoying it is. And I'm saying to myself, these guys are just being overexaggerate and the arty cant be that bad...:hmm:
    Well after ages of not being able to play BF2 since the demo first came out I finally got a chance to play yesterday and went on the map Karkand. And D**N! ya'll werent kiddin around:laugh: I've could've sworn that every 5 mins I was getting pounded by arty. And I'm just hauling my arse off lookin like a tard trying to run from it and seek cover, but I think I was just doing the opposite...running right into it

So I'm just wondering what do you guys do? Run like hell or just drop to the ground and stand still? lol or somethin else?

Re: Artillery Attacks!

Run like hell, and try and find a doorway or something to sneak in, failing that just grab a vehicle and leg it...

Comment

Move in teams, MOST commanders only shell points that have gone white-flag, so being alone you will die before the flags capped. In a team you can rape that flag and move on and laugh as the shells come as youre on your way to steal another :}

Of course, a good commander will see this via scan and have some waiting for you and your friends.

SOLUTION: go base rape the commander baahhaha

Comment

Dealing with Arty is where team-wide coordination comes in. Pre-emptively, if your CO and SL are coordinating well, you should be able to get a heads up that enemy arty is firing.

Example: Your team is made up of squads using VOIP and not lone-wolfs. Someone reports that they hear/see arty firing. The CO passes word to the SL's that it is not friendly. SL's inform their squad members that arty is firing and that they should scatter while maintaing tactical positions.

If that isn't how the game is working on that server, here is an alternative:
        If you see that your current location is a cluster of green and blue and there is a UAV overhead, I recommend spreading out away from the flag, choke point, or wherever else you may be.

And finally, if you are past all that and arty is already starting to fall near your position, I run to cover away from any perceived targets (arty never falls exactly where the CO indicates, it falls around it and then go prone to minimize my profile. No guarantees of course. If you are a medic and arty starts to fall, pull out your med pack while you run for cover, this may help if you are wounded.

Comment

I generally try to be commander, and yes I watch the enemy movement with scan...and place the arty before they get there so around the time the flag goes white, they go BOOM! Yay for BOOM!

Comment

Depends on the circumstances. If I'm in armour, I usually just ignore it since armour usually survives okay (although you can be killed if you're unlucky enough to suffer a direct hit). If I'm infantry, my first choice is to look for cover in an armour vehicle or under some hard shelter eg inside a building. If you're in a building, stay away from the doors and windows, because the shrapnel can still fly in.

Failing that, if the centre of the arty hit seems to be off to one side, run the opposite direction, or find a wall and go prone on the far side of the wall from the arty - even though that doesn't put anything solid over your head, you can still sometimes get lucky doing that.

If I'm in a transport vehicle, the tactic is always drive, fast. Obviously if you see artillery falling up ahead of you, pause and wait for the barrage to finish. Also, keep an eye on your minimap - some of the artillery you encounter may well be "friendly" (well, as friendly as it can be as it kills you), and incoming friendly artillery is marked on your map before the shells start to hit, giving you a heads up and a chance to make sure you're out of the way...

Comment

if I can't get out of the way or find a vehicle or get inside a building... I try to hug up against a building. or whatever other objects are around.... shielding myself from the shells and whatever splash damage I can.

Comment

Originally posted by Gav
                Depends on the circumstances. If I'm in armour, I usually just ignore it since armour usually survives okay (although you can be killed if you're unlucky enough to suffer a direct hit). If I'm infantry, my first choice is to look for cover in an armour vehicle or under some hard shelter eg inside a building. If you're in a building, stay away from the doors and windows, because the shrapnel can still fly in.

Failing that, if the centre of the arty hit seems to be off to one side, run the opposite direction, or find a wall and go prone on the far side of the wall from the arty - even though that doesn't put anything solid over your head, you can still sometimes get lucky doing that.

If I'm in a transport vehicle, the tactic is always drive, fast. Obviously if you see artillery falling up ahead of you, pause and wait for the barrage to finish. Also, keep an eye on your minimap - some of the artillery you encounter may well be "friendly" (well, as friendly as it can be as it kills you), and incoming friendly artillery is marked on your map before the shells start to hit, giving you a heads up and a chance to make sure you're out of the way...
                Thank you....for some reason, when I'm commander...NOBODY on my team seems to realize I've dropped arty....they run right inside the circle of death that is on their mini map....IDIOTS!

Comment

Originally posted by Gav
                  Depends on the circumstances. If I'm in armour, I usually just ignore it since armour usually survives okay (although you can be killed if you're unlucky enough to suffer a direct hit).
                  Vehicles or not I'm the one that always is unlucky enough to suffer direct hits.....always!

-arty magnet (claymores too!)

Comment

Originally posted by Zefram
                    if I can't get out of the way or find a vehicle or get inside a building... I try to hug up against a building. or whatever other objects are around.... shielding myself from the shells and whatever splash damage I can.
                    Yup, best way to do it. Splash damage doesn't go through static objects.

Comment

hmm, will arty still kill you if you're legs are sticking through a fence or wall? I try to not let that happen and playt it safe, but I always did wonder.

Comment

I try to avoid Arty in the following stages:-

a) Listening for the BOOM BOOM BOOM of arty is the alert for the next 10 to 15 seconds!
                        b) Check your minimap for nearby team-mates (close promimity to more than 3 or 4 more players is a prime target for enemy Arty) and get cover or run in a different direction to your team-mates
                        c) If you are capping a CP (greyed-out) RUN for cover until you are sure that Arty has passed and then return to continue with capping.
                        Failing all of these just C4 the Arty guns, the ONLY way to be sure!

Sometimes peace can only be bought about by WAR!

Comment

Working...
                        X