Is the J-10 considered a delta winged aircraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the J-10 considered a delta winged aircraft

I was wondering if the J-10 is considered to be a delta wing... but it looks different from other planes like the Mirage and etc.

Re: Is the J-10 considered a delta winged aircraft

I would classify it as a delta, it's also god compared to the F35 and the MI-29

Comment

It is a delta wing since it has no tailplane.

Comment

Originally posted by PBAsydney
        It is a delta wing since it has no tailplane.
        That was what I just wanted to say

Why do you need to make a new thread about this? Can you use google?

:locked:

Comment

Course it's a delta wing... Other (non-delta) aircraft don't all look the same, so why would you expect deltas to do so? Concorde, Eurofighter, Mirage, they all look different to me... and yet they all share the delta wing layout.

Comment

I believe the little auxilary wings in front of the main ones are so the plane can maintain a Mach 0.99 flight or something, as fast as it can without going supersonic, not sure, but I think so.

EDIT: Nope, just read that they are called Canards, and are just giving extra lift to the aircraft

Comment

Also on another note the J-10 is not a chinese plane, its Swiss.

Comment

Originally posted by [GU]LIZARD
                Also on another note the J-10 is not a chinese plane, its Swiss.
                /me slaps [GU]LIZARD

lol

Comment

The canards are to do with the agility of the aircraft, not the speed. On conventional aircraft, the tail is used to control pitch. If you want to climb (ie tilt the nose up), this is achieved by deliberately sacrificing lift off the tailplane so that the tail sinks and the nose rises. To dive, you gain extra lift off the tail, lifting the tail and pitching the nose downwards. This is all done by altering the angle of the tailplane.

But isn't it inefficient to deliberately sacrifice lift from the airframe to make the aircraft climb?? Surely it makes more sense to do it the other way around - to increase lift when you want to climb? That's why they invented canards - by putting the "tailplane" on the front of the jet rather than the back, when you want to climb, you do it by gaining lift off the canards, which is more efficient. Instead of "pushing the tail down" to climb, you "lift the nose up", if you see what I mean.

The other bonus is that, when the jet is climbing, a conventional tailplane can sometimes be rendered ineffective because of the "wake" coming off the wings which then disturbs the airflow over the tail. With canards however, because the canards are smaller than the wings, the same thing does not happen.

And canards aren't even that new. They've been around for quite some time and on more than just the J10 and the Eurofighter, such as on the Saab Viggen and the Raffale.

Comment

Originally posted by Gav
                    The canards are to do with the agility of the aircraft, not the speed. On conventional aircraft, the tail is used to control pitch. If you want to climb (ie tilt the nose up), this is achieved by deliberately sacrificing lift off the tailplane so that the tail sinks and the nose rises. To dive, you gain extra lift off the tail, lifting the tail and pitching the nose downwards. This is all done by altering the angle of the tailplane.

But isn't it inefficient to deliberately sacrifice lift from the airframe to make the aircraft climb?? That's why they invented canards - by putting the "tailplane" on the front of the jet rather than the back, when you want to climb, you do it by gaining lift off the canards, which is more efficient.
                    Ditto

Comment

I was going to say something... but when I saw your location as "Pax River", I think that tells me all I need to know! US Navy pilot, I presume? I learned this stuff at uni - I did quite a lot of aeronautical bias on my mechanical engineering degree...

Comment

Originally posted by Gav

But isn't it inefficient to deliberately sacrifice lift from the airframe to make the aircraft climb?? Surely it makes more sense to do it the other way around - to increase lift when you want to climb? That's why they invented canards - by putting the "tailplane" on the front of the jet rather than the back, when you want to climb, you do it by gaining lift off the canards, which is more efficient. Instead of "pushing the tail down" to climb, you "lift the nose up", if you see what I mean.

The other bonus is that, when the jet is climbing, a conventional tailplane can sometimes be rendered ineffective because of the "wake" coming off the wings which then disturbs the airflow over the tail. With canards however, because the canards are smaller than the wings, the same thing does not happen.

And canards aren't even that new. They've been around for quite some time and on more than just the J10 and the Eurofighter, such as on the Saab Viggen and the Raffale.
                        I also believe that they make stalling the plane harder because of the increased lift.

Comment

The delta wing makes it "harder" to stall the aircraft, not the canards. Stalling a plane is not like stalling your car (ie the engine stopping). In a plane, a stall is where the wing suddenly loses lift because the airflow separates off the upper surface because the angle of the wing is too great for it to stay attached.

Conventional wing layouts can only generate lift up to around 15 degrees angle of attack (that is the angle between the centreline of the wing and the oncoming air - not the same thing as the angle the wing makes with the ground (that's angle of incidence)). Deltas are good up to around forty degrees AOA or so before they stall.

Comment

Incidentally, one variant of the 'standard' Delta layout is the double-delta, as used in the Saab Draken.

Comment

I believe the little auxilary wings in front of the main ones are so the plane can maintain a Mach 0.99 flight or something, as fast as it can without going supersonic, not sure, but I think so.

EDIT: Nope, just read that they are called Canards, and are just giving extra lift to the aircraft
                              Not much lift, mostly for maneuverability.

I also believe that they make stalling the plane harder because of the increased lift.
                              Also very true. MUCH harder to stall a plane with a Canard. Some of them won't stall at all they just "nose over".

Comment

Working...
                              X