AT mines question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AT mines question

Somebody please explain how I can drive over some friendly mines (red skull alert) and not die but other times I see the red skull and die all in the same round. So it seems to be misleading--I shouldn't see the damn skull making me think that it's safe to drive over when in fact it is deadly. Does it have something to do if the vehicle was once occupied by the enemy? Perhaps the mine always thinks it's the enemy vehicle then?? Very confused/fustrated. When is it safe to drive over a mine? Seems like never. Even if you see the skull.

Re: AT mines question

I believe this is because AT mine friendly fire is off in that particular server. Im not sure however so someone please correct me if I'm wrong

Comment

I get killed by friendly mines now and then, on servers that have FF off for AT. Just a glitch. But there are times when the enemy's devices will show up on your screen, I think it has something to do if someone else has seen them before, like ran across them, maybe been killed by one of them.

Comment

If you are talking about seeing mines, but without red tags, that is normal. That is so the enemy can avoid them so it's not so easy to get the AT mine kill. You have to place the mines strategically where the driver will not spot them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar292
          ...I shouldn't see the damn skull making me think that it's safe to drive over when in fact it is deadly.
          Skulls don't mean safe, its warning you away.
          If friendly fire for mines is turned off, then you're safe. When on, they're as dangerous as enemy mines (Claymores, too).

The problem is Dice didn't think to add a line to the parameters displayed by the server while loading telling us whether FF mines is on or off.

Best bet is to treat them as dangerous no matter what.
          You say you safely drove over some, then got killed by "safe" mines in the same round.
          That might be trickery on the enemy's part: they can lay their mines over your teammate's so it looks friendly, then you drive over it...
          Or it could've been one of BF2's many glitches

Comment

I've always said since 1.0, the red skull truly does not mean "cookies here". It means stay away. I think that servers should have a scrolling message that tells you when it is on or not. It's a courtesy and the right thing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar292
              Somebody please explain how I can drive over some friendly mines (red skull alert) and not die but other times I see the red skull and die all in the same round. So it seems to be misleading--I shouldn't see the damn skull making me think that it's safe to drive over when in fact it is deadly. Does it have something to do if the vehicle was once occupied by the enemy? Perhaps the mine always thinks it's the enemy vehicle then?? Very confused/fustrated. When is it safe to drive over a mine? Seems like never. Even if you see the skull.
              Was a friendly charged with a Teamkill and did you have the option to Punish or Forgive?

The reason I ask is because sometimes as I believe others do, when I see enemy mines (not marked with skull and xbones) I will lay one of my mines next to it. This way when the enemy sees what he thinks are friendly mines, they will inadvertantly hit my mine and die.

Engineer is my main kit and I have seen many instances of "glitchy" action however. I have seen enemies run over my mines and keep on driving even though it exploded, I have seen myself charged with a team death from a mine of which I can only assume it took out an enemy and my friendly was too close when it went off, and just today, I had a strange one.

I was capping a flag with a few others and an enemy engineer snuck up and layed mines at my tank treads. I was able to see him before I moved and jumped out and shot him. I was AT Kit.

One of my teammates then jumped into the tank so I ran and grabbed the enemies engineer kit so the mines wouldn't blow up as I was under the assumption they would become my mines. Well unfortunately they didn't and me, along with the tank blew up when he started to move; so much for my attempt to save us!
              :cussing:

Comment

Originally posted by -=[R]=-SilentNite
                The reason I ask is because sometimes as I believe others do, when I see enemy mines (not marked with skull and xbones) I will lay one of my mines next to it. This way when the enemy sees what he thinks are friendly mines, they will inadvertantly hit my mine and die.

So, so smart. I love it.

Wolf mine in sheep mine's clothing.

Comment

I have seen enemies run over my mines and keep on driving even though it exploded
                  That's most likely because your mine is upside-down. Sometimes when you place them down they tip over, and if an enemy drives over them he only loses about 50% health - even in a Vodnik.

I have seen myself charged with a team death from a mine of which I can only assume it took out an enemy and my friendly was too close
                  If you're in a vehicle, and charge towards a friendly mine, but jump out right before you hit it, the momentum of the vehicle will lead to it hitting the mine. The mine will explode since no friendly soldier is in the vehicle. The splash then most likely killed him.
                  Also, if you're in the same scenario as above, but change to Gunner position, the vehicle also blows on friendly mines. The game only checks whether a friendly is in the Driver seat or not.

Comment

Working...
                  X