BF2demos crash my game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF2demos crash my game

Whenever I try to paly a bf2demo the game crashes to desktop, all the names of the demos are in red too. I put them in the right folder (C:\Documents and Settings\Foxtrot\My Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\Default\demos) and have tried about 10 different demos, and none of them work.

Anyone have any idea why it is doing this?

Re: BF2demos crash my game

I know exactly why.
    Because those demos are from earlier versions of BF2. They are trying to run old code that has been changed. This (predictably) results in a crash.

You can't run demos from a previous patch version.

Before you start saying how much it sucks, try to understand why this is the way it is. The .demos run the game engine and feed back all the inputs that the server got back to the player avitars from the original session. If the code changes, there's simply NO way to run those older demos reliably.

Still sucks, but there's a good reason for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wargimp
      I know exactly why.
      Because those demos are from earlier versions of BF2. They are trying to run old code that has been changed. This (predictably) results in a crash.

You can't run demos from a previous patch version.

Before you start saying how much it sucks, try to understand why this is the way it is. The .demos run the game engine and feed back all the inputs that the server got back to the player avitars from the original session. If the code changes, there's simply NO way to run those older demos reliably.

Still sucks, but there's a good reason for it.
      Ahh that makes sense, too bad

Thanks for the reply

Comment

What Gimpy says is correct. The old demos will display as red, trying to play these will crash the game. So don't try to play any demos that are red.

Our server runs BR so download a demo from a game you play and run it and see how you go it won't crash your game.

Comment

There is a way to play the previous version demos:

You just have to uninstall the whole BF2, then install the BF2 again and patch it to the demos' version. Then you copy the Battlefield 2 folder and paste in the EA GAMES folder (the same folder), lets said "Battlefield [v112]."

After this step, you can happily install the latest the BF2 patch and enjoy your online ownage .

DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU GOT LIMITED FREE SPACE, OR YOU ONLY GOT A
          FEW DEMOS TO WATCH ONLY! IS NOT WORTH IT!

Comment

Working...
          X