Decline of interest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Decline of interest?

I stoped playing after 2nd patch came. because it was so bugged out and on this machine it made the gfx worse. so I did other stuff for about 6 months. now I'm back and I'm playing like I did when I got the game. it's fun again and I love it. But I dont play regular vbf2 now. I just play PRMM.
    Sometimes I join vbf2 for some m95 sniping, which I just started to do, in some urban maps. Other then that it's PRMM all the way because it's a fresh and fun mod and it's hell of alot better all in all then vbf2.

Comment

I was a hardcore BF2 Gammer for awhile, however the flame is dying. The only hope the game is bringing for me is AF...which is coming out when pigs fly The comments about the sniping are right on...Its still fun to go as lone sniper/Knifer

Comment

if you get get bored try one of the BF2 gameing tournament e.g. 21CW http://www.21stcenturywarfare.com/index.php

This will give you a fresh interest in the game i can almost 100% guarntee it.

Or failing that, play for the time being the Project Reality Mini Mod. I downloaded it the other day and ive been playin that like it was the first day i ever got BF2.

Comment

I still love to play. It's much more likely now though that I will quickly disconnect from a server if there is poor play. In the old days I would stick it out and try to turn it around. I'll pop in from time to time but new games will draw my interest this year. Nothing lasts forever and I find it easier now to set BF2 aside for a few days at a time.

Half of my 300 hrs are as AT and I'm tired of dying so much. However if they brought out at least 3 maps with zero armor/copters/planes, just jeeps/buggies then I'd be in a lot more- just soldiers humping it. More city maps and jungles. Or even the existing maps with new goals like capture the flag or something.

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys.

Personally, since the beginning, I've never been much of a gamer to play by my lonesome, which is why I love BF2 so much. I mean, they implemented squads to make the game more interesting, but after 500hrs it just doesn't feel the same.

The same maps gather tha same kits. The same tactics are used over and over again. The weapons seem dry and weary.

I have talked with a couple buddies and we finally found a good Soldner server to play on, less than 100 ping...which is very rare considering it is mostly Euro and eastern servers.

I'm expecting and hoping for the mods just as everyone else, I just have a feeling it won't be the same as mods were when BF 1942 and Vietnam were released. I mean, as someone mentione, the ranking system is the key to dragging out people's interest in a game, unless all you want is more points, etc.

I'm a big fan of winning, I have always been a sore loser. When I jump on at the random times I do, I normally get on so I can offer my support as an excellent helo pilot, or offer some kind of ground support by being squad leader and being at the right place and at the right time.

I have other interests, hobbies and games I play, but it's only the Battlefield series that get me ansy to play. The mods offer a much larger surface area to play on, and when playing with jets, helicopters and tanks/jeeps, you are almost in absolute need of large terrain to fight on. I hope POE, USI and other groups decide to do just this.

As for all the suggestions, that's just it, I've done and tried most of all the suggestions, am very proficient at offering my team help of being a source of attaction to the team (since I'm so damn hot). I just don't find the same kind of enthusiasm as I used to have, and it's a good thing summer is around the corner, and short skirts, my GF in a bikini and plenty of outdoor activity will keep me away from the PC. The PS3 and Nintendo Wii are being released previous to Christmas, so I hope that will peek my intrest for gaming once the nice weather is gone.

I'm not a big fan of mini-mods either. I like complete overhauls, make me feel like I'm playing a brand new game. So far, POE2 is bringing this project to light, and I hope they offer the large maps they are so famous for.

All in all, thanks for all the great replies, it's really nice to see a little involvement and encouragement within the community. Things were becoming a little stale..hell, even DrunkenPirate's post on asking people for more pictures in regards to the POTD. I mean, to a point, nothing makes me laugh except for photoshopped pictures, especially like the one with the C4 detonator and the nuclear explosion in the background: Still by far one of the best and more original pictures ever!

PEACE

Comment

After 800h I'm still amused by the game. I have changed my gaming method during this past year when I start to get bored with some role. I have never played any flight simulator before this at all, but now I just can't get enough of flying with copters and planes. I guess it's the evolving that keeps one thrilled. First I played mainly as assault mainly due noob tube. I liked that weapon pretty much when it was effective. Long shots with a kill were the thrill of it. Now it seems to be waste of time and I don't bother anymore. Then it was spec-ops due good old G36C for it seemed to be only good weapon that shoot where it aimed. Now it's wasted, but it's sister version E is pretty handy one. Irritations of those spray guns that are not accurate lead me to the world of sniping and that's really fun still. Love the gun that shoot where sights point.

After sniping I took a task to learn how to fly. After few hours I managed to take of and vaguely land with BH. After those euphorically moments I've become a pretty good pilot. Next task is to become marksman with the missiles. I'm not too bad at the moment but far from a master of missiles.

My advise is to take tasks and change your way of gaming. This extends life time of any game. In my opinion there are not better choices in the market if one wants to play fps shooter in large scale.

Comment

Yeah, it does seem people are losing interest in the BF series and I am too, kinda. I just started playing it February, lol and Im already kind of bored of it. But like someone suggested, just start playing as a different kit or just use only pistol and knife, lol. But I try not playing for a day or two, but I just feel the need to play.
                Another thing that spice the game up a bit, is join a clan if you already haven't. Being in a clan, makes a lot of stuff seem fresh and you learn new things. Or try and get on a league team, that's always fun. But yeah people are losing interest.
                But material things don't bring happiness.

Comment

Originally posted by mlkmnz
                  Well the games been around for a while, some bugs are yet to be fixed, and there is no free extra content like mods or more maps from DICE. That'll be why. Human nature involves a declining return of interest on anything.
                  right on the money, lack of free content to keep the game fresh ie new maps... the fact that the new stuff is segragated from the vanilla, the fact the arcade style players bounce from game to game and the realism players are heavy into the mods that offer more realism has caused a decline...

cure??

If EA release a cool infantry only map and a ptch that truely stopped dolfin diving and bunny hopping you would see a resurgance, fact is most people i know get frustrated by these things and take weeks at a time off..

for the starter of this tread... no one i know personally is going to buy 2142 because they already have futuristic games they will probable just play more cod fh poe red orcastra ect ect 2142 is not really in the niche the bf series has been filing and after many poles i find 40 to 50 % of the bf community wont go near it...

Comment

BF2 desperately needs total conversion mods. And I suspect we're not too far away from seeing those.

Comment

I think my interest will wane when I get the last unlock. Joined a clan that works a lot on squad tactics and teamwork. They're not uptight and keep it fun. That's the kind of experience that will keep me coming back. Try an organized, fun clan; use Teamspeak, socialize. BF2 does get boring when you realize that all the bunny-hoping, Halo/Unreal morons who will NEVER work as a team have finally found out where you've been hanging out all this time. Doesn't have to be that way, though.

G.

Disclaimer: Halo and Unreal are fine games that I enjoy at LANs. It's just a bummer to have to resort to playing that crazy lone wolf stuff when BF2 has such potential on the team level.

Comment

I've tried clans, definitely not my thing. I have to admit I did have fun, and for the most part the clan was all about fun. When you start getting into arguments however, it seems redundant to dispute online with anyone else, or hearing it, reading about it, etc etc.

To prove however that I did have fun, the two to three guys I befriended within the clan have been my friends since 2000. Pretty rare for two strangers to become friends without having met each other. I realized it had to do with respect, and well, I don't feel 99% of the Internet population deserves my respect ....hehehe (love the irony?)

Either way, I stay active in the community because of the interest in which some of you have, it's what keeps me around and "Alive". To see there are still some with hope, some that will continue to play the mods, then there is a reason to continue playing.

As for the futuristic game mention, I think BF 2142 will be a welcomed game. I'm not sure why, maybe it's EA/DICE's wicked level 45 "attract spell", but I will most likely buy this simply to ride a mech! Well, being invisible for short periods of time has always been a favorite of mine to. Either way, I feel it will be a "different" kind of futuristic game, but I also know there will be a ton of competition, such as: Unreal Tournament 2007, Huxley MMORPG, Crysis, ET: Quake Wars, and as the genre continues its grandure in the FPS scene, more will come and most will dissapoint.

Thanks for the replies guys.

PEACE

Comment

Originally posted by Bkelso8
                          The game is definitely not as fun as it used to be. Here are a few of the reasons, as far as I'm concerned:

1. Squad Play is Dead. Squad play is almost non-existent now on ranked servers. Sure, people still join squads. But that feeling of teamwork and shared challenges that you get when you are in a really good squad is just way too rare these days. When was the last time you heard anyone chime in on VOIP? NOBODY uses VOIP in squads anymore.

2. Tactics are Dead. Sure, there are always new 'tricks' and new ways to annoy / kill the other guy. But for the most part this game boils down to desperately trying to get two or three kills any you can before you are killed by spawn campers, the new sniper rifle, or armor whores (at least on the busy city maps). Trying to use anything like 'real-world' squad tactics is a waste of time.

3. The Quest for Points is Everything. The points system in the game totally rewards point whoring for yourself and yourself only. That's fine. It is a game, after all. But there is very little reason to try different maps, kits, or to sit back and sacrifice points to be a good squad leader. The truth is, these things just get boring quick. Everybody wants to see their name near the top of the charts at the end of a round. The only way to do that consistently is one of the time-honored point whoring methods: Armor, Medic, Chopper, etc. So, you are either whoring - which gets old; or you are 'experimenting', which means low point totals and usually boredom. I wish they could figure a way to reward team play better.

4. People are too Good. Let's face it: There are a LOT of really good players out there now. And it's a lot harder than it used to be to really own a map or a round. Everyone likes a good challenge, but..

So, yeah. I guess you could say I agree with you. I'm not as interested in the game as I used to be. But I keep HOPING that will change!

#3 is the main reason, everyone plays for points and not winning the map...now more than ever, i see commanders playing trying to get more points.

Comment

Originally posted by mlkmnz
                            Well the games been around for a while, some bugs are yet to be fixed, and there is no free extra content like mods or more maps from DICE. That'll be why. Human nature involves a declining return of interest on anything.
                            Not really, Counterstrike, Diablo 2, Warcraft, hell....STARCRAFT are still MASSIVE. If a game is great and polished to "perfection" people will play it for a long time. I know I'm still not sick of Counterstrike for example. Even though I play it less thesedays. To me it's like chess or something. It just won't go away, it's a classic!

Looking at gamespy stats, I don't think BF2 is failling in popularity, it's still strong as it stands.

Will BF2 have longevity though? Not in it's current state. It's still buggy, still feels unfinished, still has a terrible menu system that should be gutted. Still 73 expansion packs are being churned out when people still just want to enjoy the *regular* game.

Comment

Working...
                            X