Decline of interest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decline of interest?

So, is it just me or are you getting rather bored with the game? Don't get me wrong, I wait approximately 2-3days and I start to feel withdrawal, but it seems more peeps that are playing are more interested in getting a coupole quick kills, then the actual formidable combat most were ready to give or die trying!

All I see now, including on community forums, is either a drop in meaningful and fun online experience, or lack of interest within the game itself.

I really hope the mods being released aren't posing too much more of a wait on the community, I think it's time we refresh our interest in the game by playing something new. Maybe EA/DICE were correct in assuming some or even most of us would have gotten bored of the game after a year. (BF 2142 planned for a couple months after the 1 year mark)

Am I the only one that feels this, as it wouldn't surprise me the least. I'm very inclined to purchase games I stop playing or rarely play, and only a hand picked few seemed to captivate me and keep me around for hundreds of hours, and BF2 has been one of them.

Special Forces had promise, but couldn't deliver the punch it needed to reel more players in. EuroForces and Armored Fury are a failed attempt at offering the community and gamers more content for a price, rather than offer them this same content free of charge. I'm already predicting A.F. to be low on user downloads, however if they would have included in their patch, I feel that there would be an increase in player interest.

I know some of my statements are purely speculative, but I'd rather find if others feel the same as me, and what they do to either have fun again, or which games they also play to give themselves a little variety.

Clean and respectful comments are appreciated, rude and stupid ones aren't necessary.

PEACE

Re: Decline of interest?

Well the games been around for a while, some bugs are yet to be fixed, and there is no free extra content like mods or more maps from DICE. That'll be why. Human nature involves a declining return of interest on anything.

Comment

Sometimes I do but then I just try and concentrate on doing something different.
      There are many options available to people in this game from lone sniper to medic whore to jihad jeeping.
      Just go sniper for a while and stab some peeps in the face.

Comment

I think you are right. I've noticed more servers with less people. In January, it was tough to find a good server with an empty slot, now there is always room.
        I think that Euro Forces only offered 1 good ground pounding map in Great Wall. In general it seems that map is for snipers, where Operation Smokescreen is mostly for Engineer and Anti-Tank kits. It's not that they are unbalanced, rather they are tailored for certain kits. The lack of free content has undoubtedly damaged the community. You can olny do so much despite the various kits and vehicles. Instead of providing the community with new content, EA seems to have unintentionally divided the community with their booster packs. If you don't have it, then you get kicked unless you pay $10? Wow, no thanks I don't like those strong arm tactics. I sure would have prefered EA to fix the pervasive bugs in the game rather that give me a useless vehicle drop. I mean, what were they thinking?
        The one thing I am convinced that has done exrordinary amounts of damage to the community is the way the game has changed. If the changes would have been server side options like the jump and shoot, the squad hopping, splash damage of the Black Hawk guns. The "Global" and irreversible changes limit the game play to a large extent. People have and will no doubt say, "The game has changed, adapt to it" Why couldn't the community accept the game the way it was using the same logic? It's hypocritical to only look at things from one position.
        In short, I don't think I am going to be buying Armored Fury. I was pretty let down by

Comment

My interest has been declining over the past few months, but i still find myself playing from time to time for a quick thrill of knifing some sniper in the back. I think it most has to do with the lack of free content, I get bored of the same old maps and I dont feel like I should have to pay money to get a new map or too. Yes there are the mods out there, but I would rather play the same content with just a few new maps or modes (ctf or supply etc)

However, I am very suprised that I have played 275 hrs on one game. Obviously I have gotten my 50 bucks worth. Still, the lack of support also drags me away as some of the same bugs still exist that have been there since launch, not very professional in my opinion.

Comment

I've been tired of the same maps over and over again and I dont have nearly as many hours as some of you do. But I am looking forward to the US Intervention Mod.

Comment

I used to play alot and now i can only play on weekends so that is why i dont much now. and because i lost 60k in points so it is kind of a strike to your pride because you donmt have alot of points anymore,.

Comment

It's not so much that my interest in the game has dropped, but rather that I'm tired of the constant gameplay changes and the attitude I'm getting from other players.

Comment

Originally posted by PantsLlama
                  I've been tired of the same maps over and over again and I dont have nearly as many hours as some of you do. But I am looking forward to the US Intervention Mod.
                  Me too, I cannot wait. It would be the shizzle if DCON and USI would team up and release a full on game. WOW!!! That would probably put BF2 in it's grave for sure.

Originally posted by Sloi
                  It's not so much that my interest in the game has dropped, but rather that I'm tired of the constant gameplay changes and the attitude I'm getting from other players.
                  True dat!

Comment

Originally posted by Sloi
                    Some players and attitudes tweak me off no end, but I'm happy most of the time playin on my home server so it's not a big deal.

The gameplay changes, on the other hand, have had the reverse effect on me than you. I find they tend to keep things fresh. It's interesting figuring out new neuances and tactics after each tweak.

Hehe, I remember when everyone thought that attack choppers were a dead issue after they'd been nerfed. I think we've gotten over that one, eh? I had to radicly alter the way I use Blackhawks too. Then came learning to deal with the uber-PKM for awhile. That was fun. Now I'm enjoyed being able to safely play support without being called a whore and having a G3 that's actually effective.

Of cource, I'd love to have new maps et al, but in lue of that a dynamic, evolving gamescape doesn't strike me as a bad thing.

But then again, I'm wierd (so they tell me, anyway).

Comment

I have 1000 more points to go to get the next promo and the last unlocks, and after that I'll cool off for a while. Maybe permanently.

Comment

I still enjoy it, only when I play with my friends. When Im playing by myself on some pub server it does get alittle boring.

Comment

The game is definitely not as fun as it used to be. Here are a few of the reasons, as far as I'm concerned:

1. Squad Play is Dead. Squad play is almost non-existent now on ranked servers. Sure, people still join squads. But that feeling of teamwork and shared challenges that you get when you are in a really good squad is just way too rare these days. When was the last time you heard anyone chime in on VOIP? NOBODY uses VOIP in squads anymore.

2. Tactics are Dead. Sure, there are always new 'tricks' and new ways to annoy / kill the other guy. But for the most part this game boils down to desperately trying to get two or three kills any you can before you are killed by spawn campers, the new sniper rifle, or armor whores (at least on the busy city maps). Trying to use anything like 'real-world' squad tactics is a waste of time.

3. The Quest for Points is Everything. The points system in the game totally rewards point whoring for yourself and yourself only. That's fine. It is a game, after all. But there is very little reason to try different maps, kits, or to sit back and sacrifice points to be a good squad leader. The truth is, these things just get boring quick. Everybody wants to see their name near the top of the charts at the end of a round. The only way to do that consistently is one of the time-honored point whoring methods: Armor, Medic, Chopper, etc. So, you are either whoring - which gets old; or you are 'experimenting', which means low point totals and usually boredom. I wish they could figure a way to reward team play better.

4. People are too Good. Let's face it: There are a LOT of really good players out there now. And it's a lot harder than it used to be to really own a map or a round. Everyone likes a good challenge, but..

So, yeah. I guess you could say I agree with you. I'm not as interested in the game as I used to be. But I keep HOPING that will change!

Comment

Originally posted by derrtyd
                            I still enjoy it, only when I play with my friends. When Im playing by myself on some pub server it does get alittle boring.
                            Exactly. I have my buddy list set up on bf2tracker.com and when I see a couple of my buddies online I'll hop on and I know I'm going to have a blast just playing with them. Otherwise I'll just fire up a single-player game of Diablo II and go monster slashing. :P

Originally posted by Bkelso8
                            1. Squad Play is Dead. Squad play is almost non-existent now on ranked servers. Sure, people still join squads. But that feeling of teamwork and shared challenges that you get when you are in a really good squad is just way too rare these days. When was the last time you heard anyone chime in on VOIP? NOBODY uses VOIP in squads anymore.

2. Tactics are Dead. Sure, there are always new 'tricks' and new ways to annoy / kill the other guy. But for the most part this game boils down to desperately trying to get two or three kills any you can before you are killed by spawn campers, the new sniper rifle, or armor whores (at least on the busy city maps). Trying to use anything like 'real-world' squad tactics is a waste of time.

3. The Quest for Points is Everything. The points system in the game totally rewards point whoring for yourself and yourself only. That's fine. It is a game, after all. But there is very little reason to try different maps, kits, or to sit back and sacrifice points to be a good squad leader. The truth is, these things just get boring quick. Everybody wants to see their name near the top of the charts at the end of a round. The only way to do that consistently is one of the time-honored point whoring methods: Armor, Medic, Chopper, etc. So, you are either whoring - which gets old; or you are 'experimenting', which means low point totals and usually boredom. I wish they could figure a way to reward team play better.
                            See, I kind of felt the same way as you until I hooked up with a bunch of regulars on the servers I play at like I mentioned above. They all use VoIP, always use squad tactics, always help each other out, they're in it to win it - not to whore points. As long as I can find people like that to play with the game would probably never lose its appeal.

~Wolfgang

Comment

Guess I'm the exception to the overall opinion in this thread. I have played a total of less than 30 min in a squad, but have over 500 hours in the game. I'm having more fun than ever. Seems that most people in squads, do what their supposed to do, the problem is its always the same thing. If I did that all the time I would be bored for sure at this point.

If you go solo, you can do all kinds of fun stuff. Jihading is a total blast. Staking out the airstrip playing AT is fun as well. APC/Tank whoring is a blast. Playing sniper on some maps is really fun.

I know you can do all these things in a squad, but when you're squading, all you want to do is cap the flag, and then storm the next base. If you don't care who wins, then the game completly changes. Their are plenty of times my mission is to secure a win, but I'm not bound to a squad, so its complete freedom. If your squad sucks, then the games is not enjoyable, so don't squad. I suggest those who are bored, DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT

Comment

Working...
                              X