Saitek X52

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saitek X52

I know there are a few threads about joysticks, but thought I would post my opinion about the X52.

I just bought the X52 this morning and have not tried it in multiplayer yet, but holy cow in single player, this thing kicks B_UTT!

Now it’s not just a plug and play like some of the others I have had, however after you get the stick programmed (profiled), there isn’t much this thing can’t do!

I am still getting used to physically operating the throttle with my left hand, rather than my fingers. However, the throttle and the joystick seem to work a little more precise than any of my other joysticks.

If any of you have one of these and have programmed some of the radio key, I would like some help in finding out where in the BF2 file you have to look for the radio key info (or maybe you can post the info here).

I have been able to program Page up, Page Down and Enemy Spotted. But I would like to get “Bail Out” programmed.

Re: Saitek X52

Originally posted by -=TxG=-Phoenix
    I know there are a few threads about joysticks, but thought I would post my opinion about the X52.

I just bought the X52 this morning and have not tried it in multiplayer yet, but holy cow in single player, this thing kicks B_UTT!

Now it’s not just a plug and play like some of the others I have had, however after you get the stick programmed (profiled), there isn’t much this thing can’t do!

I am still getting used to physically operating the throttle with my left hand, rather than my fingers. However, the throttle and the joystick seem to work a little more precise than any of my other joysticks.

If any of you have one of these and have programmed some of the radio key, I would like some help in finding out where in the BF2 file you have to look for the radio key info (or maybe you can post the info here).

I have been able to program Page up, Page Down and Enemy Spotted. But I would like to get “Bail Out” programmed.
    Hello,

Im considering getting myself that thing aswell. But I have a few questions I want to ask. The most important one- throttle control

How good is the throttle control with X52 in BF2? Is it better than keyboard? Is it precise? faster? Better? Describe it a bit. And is it comfortable?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Redfield
      Hello,

Im considering getting myself that thing aswell. But I have a few questions I want to ask. The most important one- throttle control

How good is the throttle control with X52 in BF2? Is it better than keyboard? Is it precise? faster? Better? Describe it a bit. And is it comfortable?
      I've had one for about a month or so now, and let me tell you, it's my first HOTAS and the BEST joystick I've EVER had.

It is EXTREMELY comfortable and as the OP said, it can do what ever you want it to.

However, once again as the OP said, it is NOTsimply plug it in and start gaming. You MUST use the right drivers and software, and you must take a few extra steps to ensure that it will work properly.

I'd definitley recommend it.

To the OP:
      How were you able to program "Enemy Spotted"?

Also if you have any technical issues with it, let me know, especially if yours has the "Blinking Light Syndrome"!

Comment

I am still getting used to the throttle. As far as it being like a keyboard? Well first off, a keyboard only give you "Off and On" switching, where as joysticks in general gives you graduations of "Off and On" and is more Precise (I hope that makes sence).

As for faster than a keyboard, some say yes, some say no! I just think it's better and smoother. I know after I get it all tweeked, I should be able to be much smoothers in heli's and harder to catch in planes

To the OP:
        How were you able to program "Enemy Spotted"?
        I used the profile editor and programed the <Q> and the <Left mouse button> to my "Fire C" button on the joystick.

I found this using the search. If the author is still with us, can you post any other tips that may help?

Originally posted by Lith1um
        I recommend going into game controller properties and increasing the sensitivity of the x,y, and z axis.

Click on the "deadzone" tab and move the outer sliders inwards to narrow the response curve. Not the center slider which creates a dead zone, the outer sliders near the corners.

With the default settings the controls felt too lazy imo(in bf2).

Good luck with your new stick.

p.s.

There is a x52 section in the saitek forums. To see it you have to register and log in. I found the above tweak there.

Comment

is it better than the Saitek X36F? I guess my question is... is it MUCH better... worth an upgrade?

Comment

I agree...I have this joystick and it works really well in BF2...I fly plane and helo with it and love it.

As far as the comms go...here is what I do...(you have to have the mouse driver installed so you can use the mouse stick/button on the throttle).

I mapped the right direction of the 8-way button on the throttle to the "q" comms rose and the left direction to "t" squad leader comms rose...these are your two comms channels (also mapped page up and page down to this button so if you're flying and want to vote yes or no or acknowledge CDR you can do it without taking your hands off the stick). When you press the button left or right and hold it, it will bring up your comms channel...then you can use the mouse on the throttle to select what you want to say...then click the mouse button on the throttle and it will say it...(basically it emulates the process as if you were using the keyboard + mouse).

You have to do it quick and be careful...because when you have the comms window called up, your plane/helo isn't receiving control commands from the joystick...no big deal if you only take a second to send your transmission...

Other than that...I'd recommend searching thru these forums...I've read some forums about people making macros and such to accomplish this...but this way works good enough for me so I never messed with it.

Comment

Yea, my friend has one of these, they are amazing, I was thinking about picking one up.. After I upgrade my system of course.

Comment

never mind sorry

Comment

i'm boycotting saitek for life

thank you,

troybob

Comment

I got the X-52 when they first came out and love it. Used it for a Flight sim called LOCK-ON. Great joystick and still good as new. BF2 has been awesome with it on controlls work great. Definitly worth it.

Comment

Here is a screen shot of the x52's properties page. You can see how I increased the sensitivity of the stick and throttle axis by narrowing the bands.

I like tight and snappy flight controls. The default was wayyyy to sloppy for my taste. The twist axis in particular is a prime example, tweaked up it makes a huge difference in helo's.

Like I posted previously, there is a x52 forum which you can only see when logged in as a registered user at saitek.

This is the x52 forum, http://www.saitekforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=119

In that forum "Drayu" has BF2 x52 profiles stickied,

Drayu has mouselook and the commo rose profiled.

If you have any specific questions, let 'em fly.

Comment

Originally posted by troybob
                        i'm boycotting saitek for life

thank you,

troybob
                        Mind giving a reason?

Comment

Originally posted by exho
                          Mind giving a reason?
                          i've owned 2, and they both lost the extremes for certain axis's

and the last one i had would invert if you pulled it back all the way (on the calibrate screen, you'd pull back and the dot would sink but right before it would hit bottom it would fly to the top - Saitek customer support took 2 weeks to even provide an answer that didn't work, then they closed the case)

Comment

Thanks for the SS Lith1um! I have about two hours of single player and am about to go live!

The nice thing about the profile editor, you can share them with other X52 owners!

FWIW, I have owned the Cyborg Gold, EVO and a custom made Cyborg Gold EVO and I like this one the best

Originally posted by troybob
                            i've owned 2, and they both lost the extremes for certain axis's

and the last one i had would invert if you pulled it back all the way (on the calibrate screen, you'd pull back and the dot would sink but right before it would hit bottom it would fly to the top - Saitek customer support took 2 weeks to even provide an answer that didn't work, then they closed the case)
                            LOL, I bought the 4 year warranty for 35+ dollars! If it takes a dump, I just get another one for free (almost)!

Comment

i got a saitek ST290 PRO
                              handles like a virgin. Made flying my dream... even though i dont do it much on my new account.

Comment

Working...
                              X