Video Card/Memory Problems Please Help :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Video Card/Memory Problems Please Help

see thats what i thought the problem was in the begining... hmm so what should i get/how do i change that in BIOS so that my computer will alot more memory to the Video card?

Comment

Originally posted by Unsung_Drifter
      see thats what i thought the problem was in the begining... hmm so what should i get/how do i change that in BIOS so that my computer will alot more memory to the Video card?

It's not that it's alloting memory to your graphics card. The Aperture is not how much memory the card has on it.

This explains it in more detail.

Please note that the AGP aperture is merely address space, not actual physical memory in use. Although it is very common to hear people recommending that the AGP aperture size should be half the size of system memory, that is wrong!

The requirement for AGP memory space shrinks as the graphics card's local memory increases in size. This is because the graphics card will have more local memory to dedicate to texture storage. So, if you upgrade to a graphics card with more memory, you shouldn't be "deceived" into thinking that you will need even more AGP memory! On the contrary, a smaller AGP memory space will be required.

t is recommended that you keep the AGP aperture around 64MB to 128MB in size, even if your graphics card has a lot of onboard memory. This allows flexibility in the event that you actually need extra memory for texture storage. It will also keep the GART (Graphics Address Relocation Table) within a reasonable size.

Comment

lol ok so... back to square one again.... just get a better power supply and maybe up the ram if i want?

Comment

power will not increase fps

if it runs now without random reboots or shutting down then the power will be fine

with price of ram its a great investment to buy 2x1g if u have the cash
          if not 1 stick of a gig will make gameplay better

ill assume you are not a computer expert as you dont know what a mobo is it means motherboard

hit cntl-alt-del look under processes if you over 30 running then you can afford to end some of them but becareful what u end google search the filenakme to see if its needed to make windows works
          also try playing single player to see if its as choppy as well if it's not could be internet lag on your side look for spyware and adaware good program is called spybot search and destroy

Comment

HAHA wow.... i cant believe i didnt put Mobo and motherboard together...
            oh and yeah i wish i could get 2 gigs... for the price i would just go ahead and get it but i can not... my computer only has two slots and right now they are being taken up by a 2x256MB and it is only expandable to 1gig. .... 2x512MB but i was thinking that if i dont see a signifigant increase in my gaming from 512 to 768 (50% increase) then going from 512 to 1 GB wouldnt do much...
            so that leads me to my next question of is it bad to have uneven amounts of RAM say... a 256 and a 512?

Comment

HAHA wow.... i cant believe i didnt put Mobo and motherboard together...
              oh and yeah i wish i could get 2 gigs... for the price i would just go ahead and get it but i can not... my computer only has two slots and right now they are being taken up by a 2x256MB and it is only expandable to 1gig. .... 2x512MB but i was thinking that if i dont see a signifigant increase in my gaming from 512 to 768 (50% increase) then going from 512 to 1 GB wouldnt do much...
              so that leads me to my next question of is it bad to have uneven amounts of RAM say... a 256 and a 512?
              I was in the same boat as you like 3 days ago. Not this mobo problem, but not being able to afford RAM. Then, I borrowed some cash from parents (lol borrowed :P), and went and bought 2x512. It made huge difference. No choppyness at all.

Comment

Originally posted by MadRopes
                I was in the same boat as you like 3 days ago. Not this mobo problem, but not being able to afford RAM. Then, I borrowed some cash from parents (lol borrowed :P), and went and bought 2x512. It made huge difference. No choppyness at all.
                Thanks a bundle man ... helps me feel better

Comment

Like many have said previously, YOU NEED MORE RAM. Don't assume that you can play the game with 512mb - you won't. The game is very demanding on RAM and as they continue to patch, I feel that having even 2 gigs will be pushing the low limit soon. Roomy is playing with a 6600GT and 1 gig of RAM and he is at med./low settings. He can't even touch high settings. Go mow some lawns, deliver pizzas, wash cars, rob a bank... errr, well, don't do the last one, but I highly recommend getting more RAM before anything. I've gone through your problem and the RAM issue was pretty much the overwhelming cure-all.

Comment

(Small other problem/question... Now for some reason on my desktop if i have an icon of a saved Notepad document like say "Cool Links" my computer puts a ".txt" on it so it looks like "Cool Links.txt" under the icon... and if i try to rename it so only "Cool Links" is visible on the desktop my computer will come up with a prompt message saying that "If you change a file name extenstion the file my become unstable!" ... i dont know how to tell my computer to just change the "icon name" and not the extension of the program also what is weird is i can open the same text document many many times and each one will come up as its own running file.... so there will be like 5 on my taskbar .... never had this happen before until that stupid "you can rename files" thing showed itself....... any suggestions?)

Comment

(Small other problem/question... Now for some reason on my desktop if i have an icon of a saved Notepad document like say "Cool Links" my computer puts a ".txt" on it so it looks like "Cool Links.txt" under the icon... and if i try to rename it so only "Cool Links" is visible on the desktop my computer will come up with a prompt message saying that "If you change a file name extenstion the file my become unstable!" ... i dont know how to tell my computer to just change the "icon name" and not the extension of the program also what is weird is i can open the same text document many many times and each one will come up as its own running file.... so there will be like 5 on my taskbar .... never had this happen before until that stupid "you can rename files" thing showed itself....... any suggestions?)
                      Get a good spyware and virus scanner and run it ASAP...

Comment

Working...
                      X