Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What internet connection required for BF2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What internet connection required for BF2?

First off, I'm not sure where this is ment to go so sorry if it's in the wrong place.

We are upgrading to broadband which has around 128k upload and 3.5mg download with 10 gig cap. Will this be sufficiant for the speed and how many mb per hour (using BF2 or BF2:SF) will I use?

Also, if this speed will be good, how well will it run? Will I get much lag?

Thanks

P.S sorry if this is wrong place.

EDIT - OK, another question. If we got 2mbs up and down with 10 gig cap, will it still run BF2 without lag?

Thanks

Re: What internet connection required for BF2?

I believe that should work, just to tell you, next time this should go in the tech support forum.

Comment

That will work. I ran on that until a few months ago and had plenty of bandwidth. At time I had myself and my 2 sons on at the same time, no lag. Since my 3rd is starting to discover on-line gaming I upgraded.

Comment

OK, thanks for info. Sorry this is in the wrong place.

Last question though, how many mb per hour does it use and how many hours per month will I be able to play BF2 before the 10gig cap runs out?

Thanks

Comment

you can play bf2 for 720 hours or 744 on most months...

hardcore guys can play 240 hours.

I get maybe 60-90 hours a month.

casual gamers maybe... 15-30.

Comment

Originally posted by Zefram
            you can play bf2 for 720 hours or 744 on most months...

hardcore guys can play 240 hours.

I get maybe 60-90 hours a month.

casual gamers maybe... 15-30.
            I think you misunderstood me, I ment how many hours can I play until I use up the 10gig cap. Sorry about that.

I have to go for a bit, please leave any info here

Comment

I'd suggest at least 256 down/128k up minimum. BF2 actually uses about 78 kbps (kilobits per second) on the download side and about 24 kbps on the upload side. You should be good to go, although it may get laggy if you run BF2 with programs like aim or Xfire.

Comment

Sounds as If you are purchaseing your inter net in blocks. Im not sure how that works, However I would bet that if you were to mention your provider (with the moderator or admins approval of course) that someone here uses that service and could answer you.
                Just as a guess though I will take 10 gig and divide it by 78 meg, which are both numbers listed above, and come up with 128 hours and 13 minutes per month, roughly. Which over a 30 day month would average out to about 4 hours and 10 or so minutes a day. Just so this number means something, I orignally planed to play BF2 no more than one hour a day on some days. My current average is about (according to my stats) 2 hours and 40 minutes everyday since I bought the game. Woops! That includes the days I dont play at all. Its that addictive. Hope this helps. . . . . . .Red

Comment

10Gb is perfectly fine, I play BF2 with a 6GBcap and I have plenty left over to spair.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir. Eden
                    10Gb is perfectly fine, I play BF2 with a 6GBcap and I have plenty left over to spair.
                    Could you please tell us on average how many hours a month you play?

Thanks

Comment

OK, another question. If we got 2mbs up and down with 10 gig cap, will it still run BF2 without lag?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Hmbdrwd
                        OK, another question. If we got 2mbs up and down with 10 gig cap, will it still run BF2 without lag?

Thanks

Dont get xdsl just for battlefield. To have 2 up stream and 2 down stream you would have to go with xdsl rather than adsl. It is very expensive to do that. The connection you have is fine. 2 meg down is plenty to avoid lag. If you connect to servers on the opposite side of the world you might suffer lag but just stick to your own country.

I have 22 meg adsl2 connection and I even suffer on some american sites for example my pings will be over 140 but I usually stick to uk sites ( where I live ) and I get a good ping of about 22 average.

Comment

Yes, Rancid is correct. You should always try and connect to a server with the lowest ping. Some servers are going to lag no matter what and there will be certin times of the day that most servers will have lag (usually about the time school lets out for the day for around 2 hours). Be sure to add the good servers to your favorites list and keep notes on the bad ones so you dont waste time going there more than once. Oh, and dont forget to bring any other questions here as well (I like these kinds of threads better than the whiney ones). Good luck. . . . . . .Red

Comment

Originally posted by rancid_elf
                            Dont get xdsl just for battlefield. To have 2 up stream and 2 down stream you would have to go with xdsl rather than adsl. It is very expensive to do that. The connection you have is fine. 2 meg down is plenty to avoid lag. If you connect to servers on the opposite side of the world you might suffer lag but just stick to your own country.

I have 22 meg adsl2 connection and I even suffer on some american sites for example my pings will be over 140 but I usually stick to uk sites ( where I live ) and I get a good ping of about 22 average.
                            What we are getting is not xdsl, it is broadband and is cheaper than adsl.

Comment

Originally posted by rancid_elf
                              Thats probably because bandwidth has nothing to do with ping.

Comment

Working...
                              X