Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FPS dropping lower and lower each day...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FPS dropping lower and lower each day...

Hey guys,

I am playing this game since January and was always able to maintain a steady framerate of 45-65. But since a month or so... the FPS as dropped to 15-20... the game is unplayable now !!! I always play on Max settings except AAx2 instead of x4.

My PC is a P4 3.4 GHZ
    1GB of RAM
    Asus 6800GT

My GPU used to go to like 75degrees max but now it always go to the 90s.... my video card is new since january...

I suspect that my video card has an issue...

Any ideas ?

b0ub0u

Re: FPS dropping lower and lower each day...

spyware/virus checks, defragg Hd the normal stuff and you could be having a heating issue.

Comment

My PC is clean I just re-installed it like a month ago.... VirusScan is disabled when I run bf2...

Heating issue... is that normal or should I call Asus to get my card replaced ? Because it WAS working fine for about 3-4 month in a row !

Weird... and frustrating !!!

Comment

get liquid cooling or something, that might help maybe a case fan stopped workin and u just dont know

Comment

Buy a can of compressed air and clean it.
          Sounds more like you turned up the resolution.
          Assuming you have updated all drivers, and not changed any settings you should contact ASUS and see what they say.

Comment

Your cpu is fine and your RAM amount is sufficient. I would first update video card drivers, reflash bios, find out ASUS 6800 GT MAX operating temp, dl coolbits 2.0 and when running bf2 check task manager to disable unecessary system resouce usage (like symantec). Make sure your gpu is running under normal specs, if not RMA that bad boy QUICK. If it is working fine, I would pick up a decent oem gpu cooler, install coolbits 2.0 from guru3d and tweak your memory and core values to maximize performance without spending a huge buck. You dont need to go liquid cooling with your rig. Lastly, if you have a lil cash to spare invest in a 1gb stick of solid RAM and you should be flying through karkand on a magic rug! Good luck mate!

Comment

How can you check FPS? is there a console command or something

Comment

Originally posted by Zer0-
                How can you check FPS? is there a console command or something
                Download and install FRAPs or

Renderer Commands
                renderer.drawHud [0,1] - Turns the Heads Up Display (HUD) on or off.
                renderer.drawConsole [0,1] - Turns off access to the in-game console if set to 0.
                renderer.drawFps [0,1] - Displays the current and average frames per second (FPS) in the top left corner

Comment

YOUR CARD IS TOO HOT. 10 more degrees C and you could stick an egg on top of it for 3 min and turn your pc into a ~$1000 frying pan.

Something is seriously wrong with your cooling. The fan may be clogged with dirt/cat hair/dog hair. There may be an electrical problem. If you can't "clean your temps" down with a can of compressed air, then you need to contact your GPU mfg and find out what to do about an overheating card. You are seriously close to warping silicon at 90C.

Short version : Fix yer' heat sichee-ay-shun
                  --or--
                  RMA the smokin' card. You may not want it after it's been cooking at 90C, anyway.

Edit: open your comp (carefully) and verify that the fan comes on when you clean it (soon).

Comment

Have you added any new hardware to your rig recently? Your PSU could be getting overloaded causing the system to overheat. Check this NOW before your system goes into meltdown.

Comment

Hey guys,

Guess what... to rule out any software issue I re-installed Windows XP yesterday so it is a really fresh installed. I ran 3dMark 2005 and I scored only 3000 !!! I checked and for a 6800 GT I should get around 5000.

There is definitely something wrong with my card... I will RMA it today. I found out that it is the first version of the board for that card (1.01) and that they had some issue with the design. Like one of my heatsink was always falling off when I bought it so I put some cooling glue to fix it (I had returned a card with the same issue so it was all of the batch that was like that)

It is ridiculous on the 3dmark 2005 I was like going 10 FPS MAX and most of the time 3-5 FPS.

So is it possible that the high temp have permanently damaged my card ?

b0ub0u

Comment

Working...
                      X