Why does BF2 run like crap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does BF2 run like crap?

BF2 runs like crap on my computer. I upgraded like 3 months ago from a Radeon 9600 to a GeForce 6800 128MB. I thought this was going to make a difference. It made no difference. I still have to run the game on lowest settings. Yet, in other games like CoD2, Americas Army, CSS, HL2, HL2 Death match, I can literally run those games on max settings. I mean, really, max settings. CoD2, max settings in DX7.

GeForce 6800 128MB
    1 Gig Ram
    AMD 2200+ ~1.8GHz (I think this is the problem)

I’m thinking of building a brand new computer again. But I’m also thinking of giving up gaming on the computer, and move back to consoles. Why? CAUSE THERES NO UPGRADING! You know, when you’re playing online with someone, you both have the exact same advantage. You don’t have to worry that your opponent has a GeForce 7800, while you have a 6800. You don’t have to worry that the guy you’re trying to kill is getting 125 FPS in a map full of smoke, while you’re getting a crapy 25 or 20 in karkand.

Only reason I’m still in computer gaming is because, I’m a FPS player. I only really play FPS games; my collection is probably every single popular FPS game out there since 2001. From Medal of Honor, to CoD2...

Are there any sort of tweaks that i can probebly do to make BF2 run on better settings? I understand that it might be because the maps are so much bigger, but come on. 800x600, and everything low. Im sure i can do better than that.

Re: Why does BF2 run like crap?

Not sure, what kind of problem are you having? Did you check fps b4 and after the 6800 install? What graphics settings are you using?

That processor is close to minimum, and only 1gb of ram doesnt help either.

As a comparison, I'm running in low, with 3 things in medium, and have shadows on, all on a 9800pro. However, I have a 2600+ that's oc'd to 2.2ghtz and 2gb of ram.... Some more info regarding performance and settings will help...

Comment

Hmm. Have you tried Ctrl-Alt-Del and then disabling all your background programs (it tells the directions for this in your BF2 manual)? IK that helps a lot. Also, maybe try upping your virtual memory. Do you have a good internet connection? That is a huge problem most of the time rather than system specs. Finally, if worst comes to worse, I would just upgrade the processor if your motherboard allows it. But I personally HATE using analog controllers for FPS (which is one of the only types of games I play) so I avoid consoles almost at all costs. Besides, computers have that nice all-around use

After reading The_Misfit's input: Yes 2 gigs of RAM helps a lot but I personally wasnt able to upgrade to 2 gigs because my motherboard did not support it. So be sure to check this before you try to buy the upgrade. I run CS:S and HL2 on medium settings all around (No AA or AF) with high textures and thats with using a Geforce 4 MX420 lol.

Comment

are you serious? im running bf2 with a celeron 2.8 and a 9800 pro in a simulated AGP slot... everything low 1024x768 90% view. the game runs better in higher resolutions

Comment

Your game runs like crap because you only have 1GB of ram and your swap file is most likely still enabled. I can run all maxed out minus shadows (set to med) at 800x, no AA and BF2 takes up about 1.34GB of memory. You're gonna need a memory upgrade before you can even hope to run BF2 at max settings. Make sure you disable the swap file, that's the most important bit. You're gonna get some nasty stuttering if you try to crank any settings. With my swap file disabled I get absolutly no stuttering at all.

Comment

All the more reasons im thinking of going consoles. Stupid upgrading, every few months, i gotta get something new... Once PS3 comes out, im gone. I cant imagine having to buy another ****ing graphics card, another stick of ram, a new CPU, and a brand new motherbaord to support it all. Thats to much. This is the 3rd or 4th time i had to upgrade the whole damn computer. Im sure i spent over $2000 upgrading. 2K that could have been used to buy a new ****ing car or something.

I already tried the alt+ctrl+del, I do it all the time.
            And what is swap files?

Comment

how can u use a 101keyboard and mouse, and think that moving to a controller on a console is better?

swap file = OS settings, like virtual memory.

Comment

Ive played console before, i played alot of of FPS games on the PS2. Im a decent player on FPS console shooters. Better than most, as i am in PC FPS games. I can get use to console again like before. Especially when i know that my opponent is going through the same things im going through. Same hardware, probebly diffrent TVs and a chair, but thats it.

Anyways, how do i turn that off then?

Comment

Youre biggest problem is that your video card is only 128mb . Need to upgrade to 256mb or play a different game .

1gb of ram is fine , not great but fine .

Comment

Dude thats not the prob, i have 128mn vid card and only 1 gig of RAM i run it basically all medium at 40fps

Comment

BF2 runs like crap in general because it isn't coded well. I mean, even alot of people with really nice comp setups have serious trouble running alo of sf maps, and in general, with most mid range comp setups like what I have (2.4 p4, 768m ram and 9800 pro) the game still runs like crap...while I can run FEAR at much higher settings...

Comment

I played the game just fine with a 128MB 6600GT at medium/high settings and 1280x1024, so the video RAM has little to do with it. In fact, a lower end card with 256MB does not have the horsepower to make use of all that texture memory at higher resolutions anyway. Don't give the guy wrong information.

If in doubt, reinstall the game and reapply all the patches in order. Your setup should be fine for medium/high settings at 1024x768 or 1152x870, so something is definitely out of order, and it's probably not your hardware. Also make sure you're running the latest drivers for your 6800.

Comment

I tripled my fps when upgrded to 3700 amd from 2400, still same 128 9800 pro

It's your processor which is problem.Bf is very hungry for it.

maybe new windows install also

Comment

WTF 1GB RAM Should be enought.

Comment

I recently reformated windows, re-installed it. And, im trying to figure the problem with the performance before i re-install bf2 again. But now, im trying to install it, and a error comes up. It keeps saying during the installation:

Failed to install Battlefield 2, try again from the beginning. I tried twice, and this is my thrid. What the **** is wrong with this game. This is ****ING ******** and its really ****ing me off. Now the game wont ****ing sitnall, what happaned to my freaking 50 bucks? Gone? This is total ********!

Comment

Working...
                              X