• Show
Clear All

• 512 MB RAM.. Ouch!

Ok so here are my specs...

2.4 GHz intel P4
    512 MB DDR RAM
    Nvidia Gigabyte Geforce 6600 Turbo force edition
    Acer 19 inch flatscreen LCD moniter

I was just wondering what I should run BF2 at. I have been running it on medium-low, and it gets alright FPS but it chops out here and there but I can live with that. I tried setting some settings to high like textures, and apart from taking a long time to load and chopping out at starting, it ran alright which surprised me because I only have 512 MB RAM. I would get about 30-50 FPS.

Anyways, what are some good settings to run with? I know most of you will probly say low low low, but I don't mind the random chop here and there. Anyways, thanks.

Btw, if I were to upgrade to a gig, would it help a lot?

Re: 512 MB RAM.. Ouch!

if the card is 256mb then medium with maybe like one or two on low. i can try to help with the other EXACCT settings for each thing later once i remmeber them.

Comment

Originally posted by sackynut
      if the card is 256mb then medium with maybe like one or two on low. i can try to help with the other EXACCT settings for each thing later once i remmeber them.
      Yea the card is 256MB, not 128 MB.

Comment

JUST GET MORE RAM! i went from 512 to 1256 and it was an amazing difference! its worth the $100-200 for the ram so just get it!

Comment

Just get 2GB straight ahead. They're so damn cheap now anyway. I went from 1GB to 2GB and the difference is amazing.

Why don't you also overclock that P4 a few hundred MHz while you are at it?

Good luck.

-k0nsl

Comment

Originally posted by k0nsl
            Just get 2GB straight ahead. They're so damn cheap now anyway. I went from 1GB to 2GB and the difference is amazing.

Why don't you also overclock that P4 a few hundred MHz while you are at it?

Good luck.

-k0nsl
            Ok, I went out and bought 2x512 sticks of RAM today. I got Azenram PC2700 DDR I think... it was like 100 bucks for both. I dunno if its good or bad RAM, but my computer seems to have started with it in so thats good. I have yet to try BF2. I am gona right now. Anyways, thanks for help.

Btw, how would I go about overclocking my P4??? Thanks.

EDIT: Just tried BF2... When I first enter game, there is A LOT less choppyness. I am pleased. Loading time a lot less too.

Frame rate is still the same though... :/.

Comment

thats good..unfrotuantely it costs like $200+ to upgrade my ram...cant wait till i get a new comp that takes cheaper ram

Comment

Ram will not increase your fps. Only makes it more steady.

Comment

Look up what your motherboard is and perhaps you have such options in the bios, otherwise you can try using a tool called 'systool' or 'clockgen', if your motherboard is listed (or PLL).
                  Overclocking can give a nice boost; just make sure that the system is fully stable before you start gaming.

Perhaps that memory isn't the best one for overclocking. You should've got PC3200 rated memory, I think. It doesn't matter much if you aren't going to overclock anyway. Good that it runs and feels faster.

-k0nsl

Originally posted by MadRopes
                  Ok, I went out and bought 2x512 sticks of RAM today. I got Azenram PC2700 DDR I think... it was like 100 bucks for both. I dunno if its good or bad RAM, but my computer seems to have started with it in so thats good. I have yet to try BF2. I am gona right now. Anyways, thanks for help.

Btw, how would I go about overclocking my P4??? Thanks.

EDIT: Just tried BF2... When I first enter game, there is A LOT less choppyness. I am pleased. Loading time a lot less too.

Frame rate is still the same though... :/.

Comment

Originally posted by k0nsl
                    Look up what your motherboard is and perhaps you have such options in the bios, otherwise you can try using a tool called 'systool' or 'clockgen', if your motherboard is listed (or PLL).
                    Overclocking can give a nice boost; just make sure that the system is fully stable before you start gaming.

Perhaps that memory isn't the best one for overclocking. You should've got PC3200 rated memory, I think. It doesn't matter much if you aren't going to overclock anyway. Good that it runs and feels faster.

-k0nsl
                    Well I have this ECS P4VXASD2+ 1.0 board. From what I have read on some websites, it is a piece of crap. But if it can be overclocked, let me know. Btw, the ECS website is very unhelpful. I couldn't find anything I was looking for.

Comment

I would do some more research on RAM next time. You have no idea how big a difference quality RAM vs generic RAM can make. I had 2 gigs of crucial before switching to Corsair XMS 2 gig dual channael kit, and it improved bf2 loading times significantly. I always used to go with value RAM, but not after the performance gains I have received with Corsair...

Yea when in doubt add RAM, remember xp 32bit wont support past 4 gigs. If you can go dual channel with 1t timings you'd be straight!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X