No announcement yet.

High quality shadows-what's the point?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High quality shadows-what's the point?

Who notices a difference between high and medium quality shadows? The only difference I notice is about 200MB more memory usage + a severe hit in my fps. To top it all off, BF2's shadows look bloody awful no matter what setting you use.

Re: High quality shadows-what's the point?

Eye Candy.

They indeed make a difference. Real time shadows are simply beautiful, as you see them move and pivot around their source in regards to the sun's position relative to the vehicle. Only problem I can find is that the shadows are never perfectly smooth nomater what amount of AA you have enabled, but this is the same for most games with real time shadows; they are always jagged.

Comment

Dynamic shadows is a luxury I can't afford on my 6600GT :-(

Comment

Me neither.

However by mistake I left something turned up the other day. I think it was either lighting or effects, and damn me, but Muzzle Flashes!

Looks pretty neato too.

Gonna have to leave that turned on.

KBK

Comment

That would be dynamic shadows.

Problem is with this constant developments in gaming, you constant need to upgrade, that why i stopped with games.
          Real life games are much more fun guys.
          Try to get 4 star General in real life.

Comment

6600GT can't handle a single shadow, if you are a bit interested in Game programming you'll know how hard shadows are to implement. i can't even write a crude shadow engine

oh yea i'm in high school not a 4 star general yet

Comment

i think the difference between high and medium is that shadows are cast up walls and on to other objects like mounted mg's and the aa's and stuff like that when on the higher settings but when they are set to medium or low they are just on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by SgT.uK
                i think the difference between high and medium is that shadows are cast up walls and on to other objects like mounted mg's and the aa's and stuff like that when on the higher settings but when they are set to medium or low they are just on the ground.
                call this wall hack, you see shadows of people thru walls lol

Comment

Originally posted by Killa4live
                  That would be dynamic shadows.

Problem is with this constant developments in gaming, you constant need to upgrade, that why i stopped with games.
                  Real life games are much more fun guys.
                  Try to get 4 star General in real life.

i played it in real life also been there done that in the first gulf,
                  but if your giving up playing pc games then ehy are you posting here?
                  its a gaming forum for bf2 :P
                  have you guys seen the dynamic shadows on the new game CRYSIS that game is goin to own all fps next year.

Comment

Originally posted by SgT.uK
                    Neh for me low,medium only on static objects. High on the ground and all around.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayback
                      Me neither.

However by mistake I left something turned up the other day. I think it was either lighting or effects, and damn me, but Muzzle Flashes!

Looks pretty neato too.

Gonna have to leave that turned on.

KBK
                      Yeah muzzle flashes are cool, it's activated with lighting on medium.

Comment

Originally posted by KillSm1
                        6600GT can't handle a single shadow, if you are a bit interested in Game programming you'll know how hard shadows are to implement. i can't even write a crude shadow engine

oh yea i'm in high school not a 4 star general yet
                        Wierd, I play w/shadows on - have a Saphire 9800pro 128mb card, a step or two down from your 6600, surprised u cant run them.

I have most settings on low, with a few on med, and shadows on as well...helps w/spotting guys above you

Comment

Originally posted by The_Misfit
                          Wierd, I play w/shadows on - have a Saphire 9800pro 128mb card, a step or two down from your 6600, surprised u cant run them.

I have most settings on low, with a few on med, and shadows on as well...helps w/spotting guys above you
                          Do you run high shadows? I have a 6600GT and I don't even use high shadows. I COULD do it but I need more memory to be able to use them. Even then the game runs slower. Kinda funny that that ultrashadow or whatever technology that nvidia touts so much is really just crap in disguise.

Comment

low shadows... I have terrain, textures, and effects on medium, all else on low.... Card does get hot when I game for long periods, but fps is playable. Looking at either a 6800 or a x800 as a replacement in a week or so..

Comment

I run mostly on high but dynamic shadows on low, the difference does not justify the performance cost. As long as I can actually see a shadow being cast then I am happy with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X