I wish to start a mod, but what mod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wish to start a mod, but what mod?

Hello all, some of you may know me from the First Strike forums, but this post has nothing to do with First Strike.

I've been thinking over making a total conversion mod for BF2, and I have had three ideas in my head that intrigued me, and as I'm not a very decisive person, I decided to ask the community which of the three they think they would enjoy the most.

When I thought of an X-Files mod, I was thinking of how cool it would be to be in a dark misty storage room with just your handgun and your flashlight. Generally, I think the handguns should be a one-shot-one-kill thing. I'm not sure what the plot would be, but perhaps the opposing force to the FBI could be aliens who have some sort of psychic power as a weapon... but idk.

The fantasy mod would be sweet, as who wouldn’t want to have wizards shooting lighting bolts at each other? :P The medic could be a mage that heals you with some sort of fancy spell, which would make it slightly more believable than the shock paddles that cure all in BF2, XD.

And my last concept was a Star Trek: The Next Generation mod. I've been displeased recently with the certain lack of FPS Star Trek games that stick true to the show (there is actually only one Official FPS Star Trek game, but it sucks). It would be so cool to have a mod in which you actually have that cool long phaser beam for all the guns in the game, and have the people jump backwards theatrically when they die, as in the show.

I will enjoy hearing your feedback, so please help me out here and speak up. I also do not mind constructive criticism, so if you think none of them will fly well, please tell me.

Re: I wish to start a mod, but what mod?

urgh!!! normally i would pick one of the options but i really dont find any of the above very interesting... sorry m8 :cry:

Unfortunately with those concepts you may find yourself encountering some issues. Recruitment (rather than the concept) is going to be your greatest challenge. in order to recruit an entire team a concept which is generally found interesting by a GREAT number of people is needed. Dont make the mistake of countless others wanting to start a mod - make sure you have a concept that will entice others to join and help, because that is the most important thing at the end of the day. A mod with one modeller and a coder with a skinner that helps when he can is no good and cant hope to achieve release. Especially when you are starting this late in the game, you want to have a concept that is pure dynamite.

Dont mean to be a neysayer. Its just i see these kind of threads all the time and they never really eventuate into anything. Mods need decisive people. And giving out a poll will not ensure that the option picked will have people lining to join

best of luck M8 - probably should have thought about doing this about 8 months ago

Comment

Hah, I didn't know how to mod in BF2 8 months ago.

The reason why I made the poll was to see if any of them are Dynamite. If I had to choose, I would probably make the Star Trek mod, as I'm a gigantic Star Trek geek , but I decided to see which one the community would enjoy, so it would be a bit easier to recruit this late in the game.

And I don't really want to join any of the exsisting mods, but if I did, it would be First Strike, and they don't seem to need my skills as a static mesh modeler..

But I mean, you wouldn't even want the Fantasy one? Come on, it will have WIZARDS! Perhaps I could take it another step and simply call it a Lord of the Rings mod, with Hobbits as engineers ,and Elves as snipers, and Dwarfs as Assault! AREN'T YOU PUMPED FOR IT NOW!?O.O.....meh, but I get the picture, its too late to start a mod...

"Recruitment (rather than the concept) is going to be your greatest challenge. in order to recruit an entire team a concept which is generally found interesting by a GREAT number of people is needed."
      Then the hardest part IS the concept.

Comment

Originally posted by clanotheduck

Then the hardest part IS the concept.

no - i really mean this - the recruitment will be your hardest challenge. a concept can be developed with ease over an evening with a lot of coffee. recruiting will take weeks/months and then you have to get that train moving efficiently (if you catch my drift). Having a good concept wont garuntee this will happen but it will certainly help.

first strike doesnt need a static modeller? Im sure there are plenty of mods that could use your help.

Comment

hmm, yeah, I tend to agree with you...

Anywho, I shall heed your words and give up... or like... wait for 2142.

Comment

Originally posted by clanotheduck

Anywho, I shall heed your words and give up... or like... wait for 2142.

no no no please dont give up on my accord - i think your answer is right there (2142)...

but dont "wait" start now - get researching, recruiting and modelling!!!

Comment

Mecha mod, GUMDAM SEED all the way

Comment

Originally posted by jimbob
                no - i really mean this - the recruitment will be your hardest challenge. a concept can be developed with ease over an evening with a lot of coffee. recruiting will take weeks/months and then you have to get that train moving efficiently (if you catch my drift). Having a good concept wont garuntee this will happen but it will certainly help.

first strike doesnt need a static modeller? Im sure there are plenty of mods that could use your help.
                IMO, the hardest challenge is actually getting the mod into a released state and then holding on to a fanbase. You may work 5 months on a mod and have a nice big team, but if your gameplay sucks the mod won't be played longer than a week. And that's a terrible feeling.

Comment

Well, I have to agree with jimbob, the hardest part is finding new members, I know thats the mayor problem with my mod, lot of testers and mappers, but not alot of modlers/skinner wish to join.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir. Elxx
                    IMO, the hardest challenge is actually getting the mod into a released state and then holding on to a fanbase. You may work 5 months on a mod and have a nice big team, but if your gameplay sucks the mod won't be played longer than a week. And that's a terrible feeling.
                    Actually getting your mod to release is less of a challenge as it is just sitting down and doing the work. If you have a good roadmap this ceases to really be an issue as you at least can gauge your progress. If your gameplay sucks then you didnt test it enough... and thats a no brainer really.

Recruitment is an entirely different story. as i said...

i really mean this - the recruitment will be your hardest challenge
                    and i'm telling you right now, as a man with his finger on the pulse of this "business", that you could put all your heart and soul into a recruitment drive and not recieve a single hit. Why? because this industry relies on the charity of others with there hard learnt skills, a very rare commodity. And with so many mods out there most of these charitable people have been snatched up - its quite frustrating really.

heck ^^^ as above mentioned - have a look how many and how long mods have been looking for skinners...

once you get your team together and get organised its all about doing the work - and that isnt really a challenge. Its more of a chore :laugh:

Comment

GL to ya duck

yes as you can see we have struggled finding people with certain skills. let us know what ya get into! and if ya need a hand just ask buddy

Comment

Working...
                      X