Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Having performance problems on a high machine? Look her for help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having performance problems on a high machine? Look her for help.

Ok this is my first post here so I'd just like to say high to everyone.

Anyways, one thing I noticed was people seem to be having a lot of problems with dual core systems. And at one point I shared the same problem. First let me give you my computer specs...

Athlon 64 X2 4200+ @ 2.4 GHz
    Asus A8V motherboard
    Geforce 6800 GS oced to Ultra specs and Unlocked
    2 gigs Kingston Hyper X DDR400
    Creative Audigy 4

Ok so I was experiencing alot of performance issues with battlefield 2 when I first upgraded to the dual core. During Battlefield at the beginning of every match the game would freeze up for about 30 seconds then either recover with bad performance or just restart my comp. For a while I thought this had to do with my dual core... and while some of it did the long freeze/restart had nothing to do with it.

It seems these days more and more people are trying to OC their components. In response to this hardware manufactures are putting in failsafes so that the N00b OCer doesn't try some rediculous overclock and burn out his GPU/CPU. Well apparently the new Nvidia cards can only be overclocked so far before performance actually decreases. The reason for this is that when you OC your video card farther then it should the nvidia driver will start to lower the clocks as the temp raises. When this happens in game you get that ohh so annoying 30 second pause. So if your getting long freezez/restarts and you have a GPU OC then download riva tuner and use the hardware monitor feature to make sure your Core speed isnt throttling down during game. If it is then you need to reduce the Core speed until you can play and the core isn't throttled.

Ok so that got the whole issue of freezing out of the way... But what about performance. I was getting low fps/ and stuttery gameplay. Well heres what I did to fix that...

Step 1.) Make sure you have a good set of mobo drivers

Step 2.) Download and install the nvidia 84.43 Beta drivers. These haven't been officially released, but they seem to have much better dual core support then previous versions. For ATi guys I would suggest that you download whatever the latest driver is. I don't have an ATi anymore so I haven't kept up with their driver updates.

Step 3) For Creative soundcard users Go here... http://forum.eagames.co.uk/viewtopic...52fe71c875c9c8 and follow the instruction to install the newest OpenAL driver. I know the guy starts off talkin about GRAW but later in the post he details what you need to do to install it in Battlefield 2.

ok... up to this point I hadn't had any luck getting rid of my weird studdering and low framerates, but the next step really did it for me.

Step 4) For AMD dual core users go to the AMD website and download the latest drivers for your dual core processor. DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE COOL AND QUIET ONE. I know that a microsoft hotfix exists but I currently am not using it. I suggest you get rid of it if you've already installed it and are having problems. Technically you can't uninstall it but you can disable the registry tweak you originally made by changing the "1" value to a "0"

For me the last step really did it. Gameplay is silky smooth and I play at
    1280X1024 with everything on High and 4XAA and 4XAF.

You don't need an extremely high end system to run this game on high. You just need to make sure everything is working right in your system.

Also... One thing I cannot stress enough is that this game needs 2 Gigs of ram. No matter what upgrades you make to your system if you only have a gig or less then their is no point. While your actual frame rate may go up the game will still stutter and take years to load. Ram is cheap and if your thinking of doing an upgrade for BF2 then the first thing you need to make sure of is that you have 2 gigs of ram. Then you can worry about a graphics card and processor.

Re: Having performance problems on a high machine? Look her for help.

Originally posted by Blink41990

Step 1.) Make sure you have a good set of mobo drivers .
    What are MOBO drivers???????????????

Step 2.) Download and install the nvidia 84.43 Beta drivers. These haven't been officially released, but they seem to have much better dual core support then previous versions. For ATi guys I would suggest that you download whatever the latest driver is. I don't have an ATi anymore so I haven't kept up with their driver updates..
    Is that the driver I'd use for eNvidia7600GT??

Step 3) For Creative soundcard users Go here... http://forum.eagames.co.uk/viewtopic...52fe71c875c9c8 and follow the instruction to install the newest OpenAL driver. I know the guy starts off talkin about GRAW but later in the post he details what you need to do to install it in Battlefield 2..

Step 4) For AMD dual core users go to the AMD website and download the latest drivers for your dual core processor. DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE COOL AND QUIET ONE. I know that a microsoft hotfix exists but I currently am not using it. I suggest you get rid of it if you've already installed it and are having problems. Technically you can't uninstall it but you can disable the registry tweak you originally made by changing the "1" value to a "0"

For me the last step really did it. Gameplay is silky smooth and I play at
    1280X1024 with everything on High and 4XAA and 4XAF.

You don't need an extremely high end system to run this game on high. You just need to make sure everything is working right in your system.

Also... One thing I cannot stress enough is that this game needs 2 Gigs of ram. No matter what upgrades you make to your system if you only have a gig or less then their is no point. While your actual frame rate may go up the game will still stutter and take years to load. Ram is cheap and if your thinking of doing an upgrade for BF2 then the first thing you need to make sure of is that you have 2 gigs of ram. Then you can worry about a graphics card and processor.

Thanks and with this system that I'm about to buy, any suggestions?

AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+
    1024 DDR RAm <-------- will get more later will get shot otherwise, girlfriend has been patient so far.......

ASUS EN7600GTR 2DHT 256MB
    ASUS A8N-E, nForce4 Ultra, sk939 ATX, SATA, 8ch, Glan, PCIe

Ayone want to tell me what the last one means? I think it's the motherboard with intergrated sound.

Comment

Mobo drivers are motherboard drivers... sry I got lazy and used the abbreviation. And yea those are the graphics drivers you would use for your eNvidia 7600GT.

As for the system your about to purchase... It will give you good performance and the 3800+ will likely overclock decently. As for the motherboard... from the looks of it, it has onboard audio, lan, and SATA.

Comment

Oh great thanks!

Lastly, what is SATA?

Comment

SATA is Serial ATA, its a connection that is now standard on all HDD (the old connection was ATA, then before that scuzzy (spelling ). Anyway.. its basically the newest connection, about 1.5 Gigabits per second, then there is SATA 2 (3 GB per second). So very fast. And i must say for a 1st post that is a grea tone.. and welcome to the forums! :hi:

Another thing, SMOKEJUMPER, look here and then post . There are a lot of Dual core system getting rated and configured by us and we are all to happy to help. But do look before posting as most of your questions wil lalready have been answered.

Comment

Sorry, I thought it would be alright to ask questions here as I'm asking questions directly related to his post. I'll try and keep it in mind in the future though.

Comment

But yea your system looks good, it should run very well. ANd ye=s the last one is your motherboard. The Asus A8N, i havnt heard of that edition though...

Comment

Without a doubt the people here have been far more helpful than any computer store tech here in Amsterdam. I just wish I could give you guys my commission rather than some lazy eurotrash. God I miss Canada…………………..

Comment

Ahahaha.. but its true, they are great here.

Comment

Seems that your problems were because of driver issues rather than hardware. Maybe it is an AMD/Nvidia problem. Im using Intel/ATi and had no trouble.

As ever, a set of good drivers can increase performance on good hardware.

Read my sig for my rig specs. Only just built this system and I haven't had any probs what-so-ever.
                    Using drivers from my mobo cd for chipset, (but can be dld from intel), and using the Omega drivers for ATi. All is stable with video card setting on full AA & AF,
                    in game setting on full AA, max resolution and everything set to high.

Get an average of 60fps, havent run any benches yet as BF2 runs soooo smooth and looks FANTASTIC that i cant be bothered!!

Comment

I'm glad your system is working so well for you. I just had to post because so many things in your system go against all of my computer beliefs! Intel, gigabyte, ATI, and Maxtor...ATI i might do some day, but Intel, Gigabyte and Maxtor BAD! hehe just have to give you some crap. Though for real about the hard drives, I work in the IT dept. for a bank, every time one of our Dell's craps out (we got Dell's before me and another guy took over IT and started custom building every machine including servers), its a bad hard drive, and you guessed it, always a Maxtor. The samsungs we find in some of them are always fine. It still blows my mind that people build awesome gaming machines, and get crap hard drives. Where are your Raptors? At least get a raptor for your c:\ for your OS and games/programs to run off of. I just got a 36gig to save me money and had bigger drives for storage.

Comment

He He He

Dont mind you giving me a bit of grief Each to their own.

I have used Maxtor drives for about the past 4 years & only had 1 go bad.
                        Guess that when custom building systems you go by your own experience, & in my own experiences i have found that Maxtor are good drives.

Comment

i use winlauncherxp to start BF2 using only 1 cpu so the other is free for anything else running

Comment

hello,
                            the download link on creative's website for the openal drivers doesnt seem to work. could you possibly rehost them on rapidshare or something? ive been trying to get these for a couple weeks now, and it wont connect to the ftp server. thanks.

Comment

Working...
                            X