Why is Special Forces not integrated with BF2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Special Forces not integrated with BF2

The main reason I didnt purchase Special Forces initially was the fact that it was not part of BF2 and was essentially a different game. EA/DICE protest to this day that integrating them is impossible

The problem is this is a lie - It is possible.
    if you havent played Karkand on Special Forces with EU vs Insurgents with ziplines and all yet then you are missing out big time

How to do it
    1. You need Battlefield 2 1.22, Special Forces and Notepad
    2. Create a folder called 'Level Abuse'. Copy and Paste a map for example the Strike At Karkand folder from BF2's level folder (bf2->mods->levels) to the level abuse folder, that's copy, do not cut.
    3: explore by right clicking on server.zip or alternatively unzip the contents in Level abuse
    4: Open the "init.con" file with notepad.
    5: Click edit, find and replace. For example if you want to have China on Karkand, Find 'MEC' and replace all with 'CH'

USMC = US
    MEC = MEC
    China = CH
    Euroforce = EU
    SAS = SAS
    Insurgents = MECSF
    6. Save the init.con in Level Abuse
    7. Go back to the explorer window of server.zip and delete the init.con there and replace it with the newer one in level abuse. It must have the same name and move it by dragging it or copy and paste. Alternatively if you unzipped the contents into Level Abuse simply zip into server.zip. Delete anything in Level Abuse other than server.zip, client.zip, "info" folder and "Archive.md5". DO NOT TOUCH THE LATTER THREE FILES.
    8. Create a New Folder in the Special Forces Levels folder (Call it in this case Strike_at_Karkand for example) and copy the 4 files in Level Abuse directly to it
    9. Load up Singleplayer in Special Forces and play the new map!

This isnt worth the effort of doing for Special Forces maps because you have to copy the entire levels folder so stick to the original BF2 maps. You can change alot of things by simply varying the team name variables - For example have a Chinese soldier with the Insurgent Weapons or Russians with British accents! Sky.con can be replaced by the same file in another map to change the skybox as well - if you are ever unsure just open another map folder and see what the codes are there just remember not to do something stupid like save over existing game files and maps

The code should look like this for Insurgenst vs Russia for example
    Code:

gameLogic.setTeamName 1 "MECSF"gameLogic.setTeamName 2 "Spetz"gameLogic.setTeamLanguage 1 "MEC"gameLogic.setTeamLanguage 2 "Spetsnaz"gameLogic.setTeamFlag 0 "flag_neutral"gameLogic.setTeamFlag 1 "flag_mec"gameLogic.setTeamFlag 2 "flag_ru"gameLogic.setKit 1 0 "MECSF_Specops" "mecsf_soldier"gameLogic.setKit 2 0 "Spetsnaz_Specops" "spetz_soldier"gameLogic.setKit 1 1 "MECSF_Sniper" "mecsf_soldier"gameLogic.setKit 2 1 "Spetsnaz_Sniper" "spetz_soldier"gameLogic.setKit 1 2 "MECSF_Assault" "mecsf_heavy_soldier"gameLogic.setKit 2 2 "Spetsnaz_Assault" "spetz_heavy_soldier"gameLogic.setKit 1 3 "MECSF_Support" "mecsf_heavy_soldier"gameLogic.setKit 2 3 "Spetsnaz_Support" "spetz_heavy_soldier"gameLogic.setKit 1 4 "MECSF_Engineer" "mecsf_heavy_soldier"gameLogic.setKit 2 4 "Spetsnaz_Engineer" "spetz_heavy_soldier"
    Special thanks to Citizen One - she made me get back into doing it after my early modding desires when the game came out!

the real question is why EA have not integrated BF2 and Special Forces when it is clearly possible

Re: Why is Special Forces not integrated with BF2

Hehe, nice.

You should warn people to back up ANYTHING and EVERYTHING they modify. Tweaking this stuff can lead to not being able to play on ranked servers.

I don't know if this means that SF could be integrated, tho. Seems to me the extra physics for doing the ropes wouldn't exist in standard BF2. It's also quite likely that they didn't figure out how to add extra protected content to BF2 until after they'd started on SF and before they desided to go with booster packs for future releases.

*shrug*

How's Kark with hooks? Hehe, I'm gonna have to try that.

Comment

Of coarse it is a lie they managed to make Euro forces intergrated in to BF2

I am not sure why they did not intergrate SF in to BF2 i think it would have been a better idea

The only problem with EF is you cant use the new guns on any map so maybe thats what they ment by it not being possible but they managed to add new weapons to unlock which work on any map and the SF guns work on BF2

I think it is just poor planning or lazyness in devolpment either way it is ashame:cry:

Comment

Originally posted by Wargimp
        Hehe, nice.

You should warn people to back up ANYTHING and EVERYTHING they modify. Tweaking this stuff can lead to not being able to play on ranked servers.

I don't know if this means that SF could be integrated, tho. Seems to me the extra physics for doing the ropes wouldn't exist in standard BF2. It's also quite likely that they didn't figure out how to add extra protected content to BF2 until after they'd started on SF and before they desided to go with booster packs for future releases.

*shrug*

How's Kark with hooks? Hehe, I'm gonna have to try that.
        well the thing is it works perfectly - ziplines and grapples work perfectly on the non Xpack maps - there are no issues with physics at all which just shows that this was content that could have been in BF2 to begin with
        The way the could have integrated it was by copying all the exisiting maps stright into Special Forces - result being that BF2 and SF are one game

Comment

As I said, I think it's a matter of they didn't know how at the time. I further suspect that it would be an utter pain in the arse to try going back to do it now. That would cost money and dev time that they could be spending on other things (patches, more boosters, maybe some free content? Please?).

If Dice was to do some "Charity" work, I'd rather get another map than have SF integrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Wargimp
            As I said, I think it's a matter of they didn't know how at the time. I further suspect that it would be an utter pain in the arse to try going back to do it now. That would cost money and dev time that they could be spending on other things (patches, more boosters, maybe some free content? Please?).

If Dice was to do some "Charity" work, I'd rather get another map than have SF integrated.

I agree new free maps would be more appreciated than having SF intergrated now but lets face it they are not going to give us free content wake island was a 1 off unfortunatly:cry:

Comment

Originally posted by $kelet0r
              well the thing is it works perfectly - ziplines and grapples work perfectly on the non Xpack maps - there are no issues with physics at all which just shows that this was content that could have been in BF2 to begin with
              No it doesn't. Remember, you're just running an old BF2 map with the SF engine. It doesn't mean standard BF2 can run the physics.

Glad to here it works tho. I'll bet Kark roofs are full of holes.
              The way the could have integrated it was by copying all the exisiting maps stright into Special Forces - result being that BF2 and SF are one game
              If you were to run a SF server with BF2 maps, owners of standard BF2 only couldn't join. That's the issue. They couldn't verywell give away the ropes and hooks for free, either. You can't play SF without 'em as they are part of that engine.

Originally posted by menace-uk-
              I agree new free maps would be more appreciated than having SF intergrated now but lets face it they are not going to give us free content wake island was a 1 off unfortunatly:cry:
              I wouldn't expect either... just making a point.

Comment

Glad to here it works tho. I'll bet Kark roofs are full of holes.
                not a chance - all the rooftops are accessible
                I doubt that SF and BF2 are different engines at all - there is no official or even non official (modmaker) information to prove that

If you were to run a SF server with BF2 maps, owners of standard BF2 only couldn't join. That's the issue. They couldn't verywell give away the ropes and hooks for free, either. You can't play SF without 'em as they are part of that engine.
                a simple code change would fix that - remember EF is integrated with BF2, people without the maps are kicked

congrats on your promotion btw Wargimp

Comment

Nice!!!

Anyone played winter wake island? Thats MEC againts China, and it looks sexy too!

Comment

Every building i've seen while in commander mode has roofs... Nice twist on Vanilla though... I'd love to play Sharqi with Hooks and Z-Lines or any of them for that matter

Comment

Originally posted by darkangel-CM-
                      Nice!!!

Anyone played winter wake island? Thats MEC againts China, and it looks sexy too!
                      What sky did you use? Great Wall or Daqing?
                      the real benefit is playing with the Special Forces content like the RPG and the Grapple/Zipline
                      And Karkand with the Insurgents looks the part as well

Comment

It'd be really cool and beneficial to EA/Dice if they released a patch to integrate the two. I'm sure it is entirely possible, given EF and AF, it'd probably just cost too much for them.

SF should've been integrated from the start, it makes sooo much more sense and keeps people playing in the same servers and keeps the BF2 community unified. I never play SF because I don't like half the maps and I hate switching back and forth. What a bunch of tools.

Comment

i wonder why they made all 3 expansion packs for bf1942 integrated and not sf with bf2

Comment

I followed your instructions, but whn I run SF, the new level doesn't show up. I edited the init.con, rezipped server.zip, then created a folder called Karkand2 in the SF levels folder and copied the 4 files to it. But then I fire up SF, go to Single Player, and only the standard maps are there.

Comment

You must keep the same map name. Rename it to Strike_at_Karkand.

Never mess with the BF2 mod directory. Just create a new mod folder and copy the contents of the xpack mod or BF2 mod into it. Then you can edit the maps or download new ones into your new mods.

This way it will not affect your online play.

Comment

Working...
                              X