4 gig of RAM....wtf??? losing FPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 gig of RAM....wtf??? losing FPS

I just bought another 2 gig of ram (2x1gb sticks matching pair) to add to the 2x1gb i already have...same brand Corsiar value select (nothing special all timings are 3 i think). Wasn't expecting much...maybe little faster load times in BF2...However, i am losing FPS big time..the game runs terrible now 10-20 fps at best, when i was getting 60-70 previously with just my 2 gig of ram...tried 2 differnt servers and the same........took the extra 2 gig out and now back to normal (e.g 60 odd FPS). Is there some configuration i am doing wrong to optimise the RAM??? in dxdiag it was showing 3327 Mb was expecting 4096 mb. i cant believe it appears i have wasted my money...What do u think???

Re: 4 gig of RAM....wtf??? losing FPS

Are you using Windows 64bit edition? Windows 32Bit can only allocate up to about 4GB, but it cant get quite there, im not sure of the exact number, but it sounds like it may be it. But i wouldnt have thought that it would cause a slowdown.

Comment

I am using windows 32bit........so will be maxed out at 4gb.......At the mom i have just the 2 gig in...running dxdiag shows system as having 2048 mb (which is correct) when i put the other 2 in...it shows it as 3327 mb (i was expecting 4096) so maybe something is wrong with it...i dunno. its exactly the same as the stuff i have already in there. will swap it out for another 2 sticks to see if that fixes it.....any other ideas??

Comment

Check that when u add the other sticks of ram it doesnt knock your FSB down, as i think it does this when u use all ram slots on most motherboards as a "safety feature"

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel=UK=
          Check that when u add the other sticks of ram it doesnt knock your FSB down, as i think it does this when u use all ram slots on most motherboards as a "safety feature"
          How do i check that???? sorry i'm a bit noobish

Comment

Get sumit like this CPUZ from here (1.33.1 near the bottom) http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php click the exe and when its loaded click the tab called Memory the frequency of your ram should be 200mhz, if its 133 or 166mhz with all the sticks in then it means it has knocked the speed down.

Comment

With 4 Gb of ram remember to switch off your page file as well

Comment

Actually. Answer the following-

Are you using a 64-bit cpu; Is it AMD?; if so what core.

Only certain AMD cores allow for the memory controller to handle up to 4gb of ram. Others will simply dock down to 3gb due to the memory controllers limit-

Cores that support the 4gb would be-

San Diego, Venice, etc.

Comment

windows can only use ~3.5GB, and BF2 only uses about 1.5GB, so if I were you return the extra 2GB, your not really going to ever use it.

Anyways im not quite sure what your problem is, but it more than likely has something to do with windows getting overloaded with more ram than it can handle.

What you should do is try the 180day Free trial of XP-x64 edition and see if that fixes your problem. Otherwise try to find some 4GB specific advice on some hardware forums. WIsh I could help but 4GB is really uncharted territory right now, a very limited few people have that much ram.

Comment

Yep, your FSB probably went down. In addition they are not going to run at double rate timing if you have four sticks-they'll run at half the frequency, so they are going to run slower than with two sticks on both accounts. That said, your performance hit sounds like substantially more than you should be seeing.

First thing ascertain is whether you have a bad stick in the mix. I would rotate them around to see if they all perform equally when you have only two sticks installed. That is the easiest way to see if one of them is bad. You could also download and run Memtest, but that is a bit of a pain in the arse as you you'll need to create a boot disk and run it before windows loads.

FYI, I would not advise ever turn your page file completely off, regardless of the amount of ram you have.

Comment

most mobos have got 4 memory slots, but if install more then 2 sticks, most mobos arent able to run the ram in dualchannel modus and you loose alot of performance e.g. in games or 3d bench marks. these mobos only got 2 memory controllers each of them provides two memory slots, but the memory controller only supports dualchannel, when 1 stick per controller is installed. on most mobos you´ve got 2 colours for the memory slots, make sure that the 2 sticks are on the same colour, otherwise both sticks will be accessed over 1 memory controller.

if you want to have 4GB with dualchannel support, you´ll have to get 2x2GB sticks or a mobo which supports dualchannel, even if all 4 memory slots are used (dont know if a mobo like this is available).

Comment

Windows 32-bit will only recognize 3.12 gigs of RAM. To get full use you need to be running 64-bit. Also as others have stated, you need to have some pretty serious hardware to match your serious amount of RAM. You are probably bottlnecking in more than one location. When set up right 4 gigs of RAM will help in BF2, mostly just in load times. I currently run an AMD 4000 "San Diego" on a ASUS a8n-SLI deluxe with dual 6600gt, and two 160gig seagate sataII in RAID 0, with 4 gigs of OCZ platinum. I have yet to join a game that I am not the first person in. Thats not to say I have the FASTEST load times.....I live only 3 hours from all the Dallas based servers so that helps too!

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel=UK=
                          All 4 Ram slots are full on my motherboard at 2 gig(4x512) and running dual channel. (ASUS P4-800-E)

Comment

Originally posted by [LB]-Weasel
                            Actually. Answer the following-

Are you using a 64-bit cpu; Is it AMD?; if so what core.

Only certain AMD cores allow for the memory controller to handle up to 4gb of ram. Others will simply dock down to 3gb due to the memory controllers limit-

Cores that support the 4gb would be-

San Diego, Venice, etc.

You are so wrong it's not funny. The reason is as stated in twsmit's post. 32bit windows cannot address more than 3327 MB of ram. It has nothing to do with the revision of the CPU. Please do not spread false information like this. It one person believes it, then tells two more that believe it, it really gets out of hand...

Originally posted by Betageek
                            Yep, your FSB probably went down. In addition they are not going to run at double rate timing if you have four sticks-they'll run at half the frequency, so they are going to run slower than with two sticks on both accounts. That said, your performance hit sounds like substantially more than you should be seeing.

Nope wrong as well, as I said above please don't spread false information, it confuses people. DDR will ALWAYS run at double data rate, not mater what. You may be thinking of the speed drop from 400 to 333 that occours with the older cores.

Originally posted by Flakstar
                            most mobos have got 4 memory slots, but if install more then 2 sticks, most mobos arent able to run the ram in dualchannel modus and you loose alot of performance e.g. in games or 3d bench marks. these mobos only got 2 memory controllers each of them provides two memory slots, but the memory controller only supports dualchannel, when 1 stick per controller is installed. on most mobos you´ve got 2 colours for the memory slots, make sure that the 2 sticks are on the same colour, otherwise both sticks will be accessed over 1 memory controller.

if you want to have 4GB with dualchannel support, you´ll have to get 2x2GB sticks or a mobo which supports dualchannel, even if all 4 memory slots are used (dont know if a mobo like this is available).
                            Sorry also wrong, any even pait of sticks can be run in dual channel. YOu may be thinking about having to switch to 2T timing with 4 sticks, but that does not involve dual channel.

Comment

lol.. hence why i added the -->

Next time ill be sure, to add j/k at the end.

Btw - im well aware of how it all works. im a chemical/electrical engineer and have also been working in and doing computer repair for 15+ years. Im also MCSE, CCNA, etc, etc...

as stated though... next time ill add J/K...

l8r

Comment

Working...
                              X