Windows 64, what's it good for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 64, what's it good for?

Ok, well, I don't want to put my system specs in my sig for a few reasons, but this is what I got:

MBoard: Asus A8-V Deluxe (with kick arse on board sound)
    Athlon 64 3500
    2x512MB Corsair dual channel rediculously low latency ram
    a DVD Burner (LG) seems pretty solid (I decided I like LG)
    a legacy of a floppy disk drive (it's black)
    AX700Pro 256MB Asus video card (I think it was meant to be overclocked)
    120MB Seagate HD (8MB Buffer) + 120MB Western Digital (8MB Buffer), both SATA running in raid 0

Oh, and I just bought the logitech Z-2300 speakers, and golly explosions are powerfull on those. I've heard the comparable creative ones (for same $$$) are better, but I like to feel it when things blow up.

Ok, well it's been time to upgrade. My 'puter hasn't gotten a lot of lovin lately, and needs some now.

I got meself Windows 64 and everything has got a driver (some in the second or third win64 version). Well, at least I didn't pay money for it, and I'm a guinea pig because of it.

Overall, on a fresh boot, on a sub 90-Ping server, in Battlefield2, everything functions better (Although with lower refresh rates?).

If I play another game like Civ4 (not really a hog) and go to BF2, there is insurmountable lag. Ridiculous.

On the way (tommorow):
    1 Gig (512x2) Corsair XMS ram (not ridiculously ultra low, but affordable)
    ATI R. X1800XT 512MB made by saphire, I think.

Well, golly, thanks for reading all that stuff. I tried to make it digestible. Now I have the questions.

1. I think I'm getting lower performance from RAID 0 (because of two drives from different manufacturers). But I haven't tested in regular XP. Whad'ya think.

2. Windows 64 is being marketed as "Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is designed to meet the demands of customers who require large amounts of memory and floating point performance in areas such as mechanical design and analysis, 3-D animation, video editing and composition, and scientific and high-performance computing applications."
    ---ZipZoomFly (quote of MS)
    is it woth the hype?

3.I've gotten better performance from my rig with WIN64 in a lot of other areas asides from gaming. I'm thinking I want to run some somewhat scientific tests on this thing under WINXP and WIN64 once everyhting is updated (mem+vidcard installed). Whad'ya think is gonna happen?

,Bingo953

Re: Windows 64, what's it good for?

2. do you run 64bit applications? if yes then go for it, if no then go for it anyway.

Although 32bit applications dont benifit from useing a 64bit OS you OS its self is faster as is any other 64bit programs therfore your 32bit program will experiance an increase in preformance.

Its up to you, Im runing XP64 and its great a lot of things are faster then normal 32bit windows.

Comment

Re: Windows 64, what's it good for?

Hey Sir,

Thanks for the reply, nice to talk to somebody with an arse . As for 64 bit apps, all I can find is IE64, and it is nice, but most web sites don't notice it. AND, if you need something from the site, they don't recognize you at all.

Got to mention, the last woman I was in love with was from the UK (woman keep their figures better there than thay do in the US). OH, my god, do I love fanny....I think that has something to do with a hard drive.

,Bingo953

Comment

Working...
      X