new (not really )vid card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new (not really )vid card

I just got another fx 5200 (same as mine, except it was free) except the only diff is that it has a dvi thingy..but i hav a few questions:

how do i exchange vid cards (do i need to uninstall drivers and stuff cuz its the same card basically)

and does dvi improve performance in any way?

Re: new (not really )vid card

If your monitor supports DVI it will give a sharper picture. If it doesn't it won't make a diffrence at all.

It would be a good idea to reinstall the drivers even if it is the same, it won't hurt anything.

Comment

so wat are hte steps to changing vid cards?
      uninstall drivers...pull out old card..put in new card...install new driver..and we're all set?

and also..i heard from my brother that if u have dvi...theres a feature in the 82.12 drivers which converts lower resolutions to higher ones while still being at the lower resolution..

Comment

One thing that would be a good idea before switching them, check the specs for both and see if one or the other has 64 bit or 128 bit memory. If they are both the same, then there will be little to no difference between them. If one of them has 128 bit memory and one 64, go for the one with 128 (referring to the memory interface, not how much memory on the card).

Comment

how do i check the "bit memory"

Comment

You will need to know who made each card (Nvidia only makes the chips, not the card), and go to the manufactures website and check the specs. There should also be a sticker somewhere on the card with the specific model number on it.

Comment

Originally posted by ConscriptVirus
              I just got another fx 5200 (same as mine, except it was free) except the only diff is that it has a dvi thingy..but i hav a few questions:

how do i exchange vid cards (do i need to uninstall drivers and stuff cuz its the same card basically)

and does dvi improve performance in any way?
              I responded to your 'other' thread regarding the exact same problrm, Why did you post 2 threads in 2 days with the same issue?

Simply put, even if your 5200 has DVI support, it will do you no good if your Norwood doesnt have a DVI input ok?

and even if both had DVI, it would make a difference, but only slight.

Next time, post one thread per problem

Comment

It should not be nescessary to uninstall and reinstall drivers since both cards are Nvidia with the same GPU. The driver will detect the correct amount of ram on your new card. DVI is a digital connector. It transfers the signal digitally to your LCD monitor. This should give better image quality than using the RGB connector.

Comment

Working...
                X