Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help w/video settings 6600GT 128MB..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help w/video settings 6600GT 128MB..

Many moons ago, before patch 1.12 (? I think it was?) I was 100% satsified with my BF2 performance.. but since then the same settings never played smoothly.. After a BF2 lay off of many months I have reinstalled, determined to get it running smoothly again, so that I can join the lads in the fray..

My trouble now is video lag. In particular I suspect lack of video ram being an issue since 1.12 (?) because I get 50fps generally, but (only) whenever I turn suddenly 180 degrees to look in a new direction there is bad stuttering. I imagine textures are being re-loaded via the AGP port which of course is very slow. This means I am constantly getting my ass whooped when people flank me. No chance whatsover.. =(

Anyway I am looking for those with 6600GTs to help me tweak my video settings to get the best comibination of looks and performance.

This is my system: Athlon 64 3000, 1GB RAM, Asus 6600GT 128MB AGP (540/1.1 ghz OC), Audigy 2. FYI defragged, fresh install BF2, latest drivers, no background processes except vital windows ones, pagefile on seperate physical drive.

Before patch 1.12 I was getting ~50fps with these settings:
    Resolution : 1152x864
    Terrain : High
    Effects : High
    Geometry : High
    Textures : Medium
    Lighting : High
    Dynamic Shadows : Low
    Dynamic Light : High
    2xAA, 2xAS, 75% view.
    Now I cannot get it totally smooth unless textures are set on Low, which just seems wrong to me...BF2 is the only game I have ever played where performance has decreased with patches..=(

I have tried many of the various tweak threads without much success. Any ideas are much appreciated from those with very similar systems... I wonder if it has something to do with more textures being added in patches for extra weapons etc..(?)

Re: Need help w/video settings 6600GT 128MB..

What is your AGP aperture size?

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkenPirate
      What is your AGP aperture size?
      You champion! THANKYOU! It was set to 64mb. I changed it to 128Mb and Voila! 60-70fps and smooth as silk. OMG. Here I come!!!!

PS Drunken Pirate for President!

Comment

Yea, I had a feeling it was that.
        Happy gaming.

Comment

Hey, I have the same problem this guy did. How do you change the aperture size?

PS. Sorry for reviving a dead topic! :hmm:

Comment

Originally posted by datakillx99
            Hey, I have the same problem this guy did. How do you change the aperture size?

PS. Sorry for reviving a dead topic! :hmm:
            you need to go in to youre bios and look though the options untill you find agp apature size and change it using page up/down(well on mine it is)

hope this helps,goodluck

Comment

I have almost an identical system, however i have the PCI-E version of the 6600GT 128 MB made my e-vga.

Is there an aperature setting for the PCI-E slot as well, or does this apply to the AGP only?

Im trying to find a good setup currently I am running using
              Resolution : 1024x768
              Terrain : Medium
              Lighting : Medium
              Dynamic Shadows : High
              2xAnti Ailiasing
              100% view distance

I would love to run at a higher res or even 4x AA, but no matter what i try, anything more than what im using now, it seems to lose too much fps when i turn, or fire in game. Also, I am not sure what exactly each of the fields will affect, therefore it is hard to determine what I want set high, and what i can do without.

Any suggestions for a smoother, cleaner picture?

Comment

Originally posted by Nlghtwolf
                I have almost an identical system, however i have the PCI-E version of the 6600GT 128 MB made my e-vga.

Is there an aperature setting for the PCI-E slot as well, or does this apply to the AGP only?

Im trying to find a good setup currently I am running using
                Resolution : 1024x768
                Terrain : Medium
                Lighting : Medium
                Dynamic Shadows : High
                2xAnti Ailiasing
                100% view distance

I would love to run at a higher res or even 4x AA, but no matter what i try, anything more than what im using now, it seems to lose too much fps when i turn, or fire in game. Also, I am not sure what exactly each of the fields will affect, therefore it is hard to determine what I want set high, and what i can do without.

Any suggestions for a smoother, cleaner picture?
                you could try tuning the shadows down and dynamic light ,that's a killer.
                it should let you run a bit smother.

2gb of ram would help smooth things out aswell.

Comment

Originally posted by blade.verzilli TF

2gb of ram would help smooth things out aswell.
                  Yeah so would a 7900GTX, but like most people who play games too much, i am poor :laugh:

Thanks for the tip though, i will try dropping those down to low, and maybe up my res or AA one level and see how it does. In fact now that i think of it, most of hte videos i have seen seem to lack detailed shadows, or even a shadow at all on players and vehicles, yet the grahics still look good. Seems like most people are dropping the shadows at least so they can run higer on the rest of the settings

Comment

when u set ur agp aperature to 128mb..i recommend setting it to 256mb
                    i use to be scoring at around 1060s in 3Dmark03 with my setup but when i changed the aperature to 256...i gained about 100 points which is pretty good..but u mite not notice much perfomance diff ( i didnt)

Comment

Working...
                    X