New gaming rig loads BF2 slow! Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New gaming rig loads BF2 slow! Help!

Recently I upgraded to the AMD 64 platform. My p4 3.2 (32 bit) gaming rig connects to the BF2 account server nearly immediately whereas my new amd 64 rig (running in 32 bit mode) takes up to 2 min to connect! Anyone know of why thie might be? Both machines have 1 gig of ram. As a side note the amd machine takes just as long to connect to the account server running win x64.Thanks in advance

Re: New gaming rig loads BF2 slow! Help!

If you changed the graphical settings at all, that will increase load times over your old system, if for instance your P4 was all on low settings.

Load time is mostly ram related, and if your using more ram than before (higher settings) that would explain your slow load times.

That being said, my computer (see sig) connects in 30+ seconds, somewhere in that ballpark, its no where near instant. This is on 64 man maps.

Maybe your remembering wrong? or maybe you only played on really small maps with your P4?

Comment

Let's clarify things a bit. When you say connecting to the account server I assume you mean the first order of business when you start the game. You are NOT talking about loading maps when you start a single player game or join a multiplayer server, correct?

Once you are logged in, are you experiencing any other differences in performance from your old system, either in loading a map or any other aspect? Knowing this may help us to diagnose the issue faster.

If you are indeed talking about logging into to your account first thing, then yes, 2 minutes indicates something is wrong or misconfigured. I'm on an AMD system and logging in takes approximately 5 seconds, give or take a few seconds.

I have no idea off the top of my head what might be causing this. It sounds like a network issue rather than a processor/system issue. I'm assuming you have logged in more than once and that this is not a caching issue. How many times has this happened?

Comment

I wouldnt worry, Im having the same problem (sort of) logging onto the account server atm takes anywhere between 5seconds and 30seconds. Might be a problem @ EA's end.

Comment

Are you perhaps using the "Play BF2 Now" shortcut? If you are, don't use it anymore. Your problem definitely has nothing to do with your processor.

Logging in takes 15-25 seconds for me.

Comment

Ok let me clarify a few things. The problem I am describing occurs only at login to the account server.Loading times between maps are about the same on both machines. I have 2 computers, both of which are set up as gaming rigs. (1 is a p4 3.2 and the other is an AMD 64 4000+) The pentium rig connects to the account server between 5 and 10 seconds. The amd machine takes between 1.5 and 2 min to connect to the account server. . Both gaming machines have Win XP Pro (32 bit) loaded. I have tried to use Win XP 64 bit for the AMD rig but have problems with BF2 crashing to the desktop when using the 64 bit OS. Hope this helps clarify a few things.

Comment

Here's what helped me speed my loging in to the account server. I was getting long connections times too (to the account server). Now it's almost instant. There are some lines you need to clean out of a bf2 file where it keeps a list of all the servers you've ever played on. Probably trys to query them all as you're logging in.

Oh, and two gigs of ram will definitely help map load times and smooth out your game play.

Comment

Working...
              X