This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battlefield 2142 Features Revealed!

The May issue of PC GAMER has an exclusive article on Battlefield 2142. Here is a summary of the new features it revealed.

There are two factions: the American-European Alliance and the Pan Asian Coalition (Russia, the Middle East and India). The fighting takes place mostly in northern Africa.

DICE started working on BF2142 immediatley after BF2 shipped.

There will be enhancements to the physics and visuals.

During testing, every time a kill is a made, the sofware makes
    a note of where on the map it happened, the class of the
    shooter and the victim, the weapons used, and more allowing DICE to correct imbalances.

The guns shoot bullets (although the video shows laser/lighting effects).

Staying in the same squad will increase your points at the end of the round.

There are new RPG elements in the class system.

You can't attack while cloaked.

Squad leaders can deploy a homing beacon that lets the team respawn at their location even if the leader is killed. The beacon will have drawbacks however,and it can be destroyed.

The APC in the game is similiar to the one in ALIENS. It has
    EMP weaponry. There are hatches on top that look like a submarines ballistic missile bays but DICE won't say what they are.

This game will have a more realistic scale.

The Mech stands more than 20 feet tall and won't replace the tank. You might be able to knock them over. They have anti aircraft guns on top, shoulder mounted, mouse tracking anti tank rockets and two anti personnel mini guns.

EMP grenades scramble the vision of any vehicle and slow it down. The bigger the vehicle is the worse it will be affected. Multiple EMP grenades can bring a vehicle to a complete stop for a short time.

The Chaser anti-tank mines lock on to vehicles, hover, and chase after them. They can be outrunned by some vehicles and will track a new target if they pass close together.

Artillery is still in the game.

Bladeless hoverships are piloted like the VTOL strike fighter in vanilla.

Improved explosion effects.

There will be futuristic fighter jets but DICE isn't letting out any details yet.

No more parachutes (but they will be replaced by something-jetpacks, thrusters?)

The main menu interface is being rebuilt and will include a rank progression chart, favorite servers list and a buddy list (and probably won't work any better than the last one).

There is a vehilcle mounted railgun that is on the drawing board and may or may not make the game. Currently its too powerful and imbalances the game.

DICE is testing grappling hooks, night vision and other features in this game and may include some of them.

There will be new commander features and a new game mode (air based combat maybe). There will be co-op and more info/features will be release at E3.

KITS:

There are four basic roles with two sub categories in each that can be developed like an RPG.

Recon: includes snipers and special ops. These two have the cloaking ability which uses active camouflage. You'll still cast a shadow while cloaked. They also have a tracking bug that designates targets (some weapons will home in on it) and EMP granades.

Assault: a big gun with a grenade launcher. If the grenades don't hit a target they convert into proximity mines.

Support: Engineers and Medics are in this class. The engineer can deploy the hovering drone you see in the video. It self destructs when the engineer is killed. There will be 3-4 new mine types included in the game.

Anti-Tank: There might be anti-air and anti-tank rockets for this class. They will probably carry the rockets that track the spec ops' homing beacons.

Re: Battlefield 2142 Features Revealed!

I'm looking forward to it.

Comment

Some good stuff there, very interesting indeed! However I will probably be more drawn towards quake wars, depends on wether EA balls this up or not

Comment

Geez!!

Comment

Will be good to see how it works...I am sure most of us will take a look

Comment

:yay: :yay:

Comment

Yeah right, what we will really get is 5 things on that list and a promise to to fix everything.

Comment

Cool stuff. Very exciting.

Comment

i agree, but i think im going to quake ware(mostly to follow sir)

Comment

Who knows in reality, such hardware will be develop for better infrantry combat in the future. I say it is a variant of MechWarrior with more realistic elements. I am looking forward to it.

Comment

i still think they killed the concept .... besides its gonna need a lot of patches and a high end pc

Comment

this looks great... but im gonna wait for the demo and see wether all that beautiful stuff is in or not.

Comment

Artillery is still in the game.
                          well thats a bummer

Comment

It all looks good, Im still leaning towards Quake Wars though.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadlyMACD
                              No more parachutes (but they will be replaced by something-jetpacks, thrusters?)
                              Please let there be jetpacks like Tribes (and skiing) i would love a popular version (rip-off) of the tribes series again, T2 is still probably my overall favourite game of all time but the online numbers were always disapointing.

Comment

Working...
                              X