do new drivers help old video cards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do new drivers help old video cards?

Ive heard some ppl say yes and theres no harm, and i heard that new drivers on older cards (ie my fx5200) can make bf2 slower? cuz i havent changed my comp hardwarewise and my game seems to be getting slower and slower (demo too) and i keep my drivers updated usually..

Re: do new drivers help old video cards?

i have the same card and i think that drivers just update for the newer l33t cards.

Comment

It depends on the game and the card much of the time. Personally I would just use the newest ones, no harm in it, and its always updated for the newest games. Any performance decrease wont be much.

Comment

I've got the same V card, bf works at about 15 fps. Haven't seen a change from newer drivers.

Comment

Usually yes. With newer card expect performance increases with newer games. With older cards such as yourself expect compatibility fixes, and bug fixes etc...

9 times out of 10 except for rare documented problems, its always best to have the latest drivers regardless of your video card's age.

Comment

When new drivers are released its worth reading through the release notes to see what has been fixed. It may not be worth while updating drivers for older cards as the newest drivers are updating things that the older cards do not support. Sometimes updating the drivers may lead to performance drops. For example, in my old PC I had a 6600GT and I got the drivers that were released for the 7800's. This lagged my bf2 something awfull, so I went back to my older drivers.

The best thing you can do is experiment with the drivers untill you get something that works for you.

Comment

Working...
            X