Ground AA user manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ground AA user manual

1.21 was like heaven on earth and hell in the air. We had ‘point & click’ missiles.
    Now all is changed, almost the other way around.
    We need some easy to follow rules, some ideas on how to use efficiently this AA weapon we were given post 1.21.
    Choppers are too weak now, hardly a challenge to a competent AA ground unit, so here are some thoughts against jets:
    1-Don’t stay too long in it or you’ll become a primary target for every enemy pilot.
    2-If you see a plane coming strait at you, run! There is almost no chance you can hit him before he hits you with his cannons (unless he’s a newbie).
    3-Acquiring the target is the most important thing. Don’t shoot without a lock on.
    4-Wait 2 seconds after hearing the ‘lock on’ sound before you shoot. Somehow I noticed this to make the difference between a hit and a close miss.
    5-Don’t shoot both missiles at once. Wait for the first missile to hit, then for the second missile to lock on again.
    6-Shooting from behind increase the chance to hit.
    7-Expect flares, so wait for it to dissipate and then shoot. But don’t expect too much, or jets will leave your area.
    Feel free to add simple rules to this list, so everybody could benefit from our collective experience.

Re: Ground AA user manual

Actually i think the AA is pretty balanced except i have real trouble hitting J10's .... I can take out a BH pretty easily as long as he isnt attacking in coordination with ground forces as he should be.

Comment

Originally posted by =IMO=THJones
      Actually i think the AA is pretty balanced except i have real trouble hitting J10's .... I can take out a BH pretty easily as long as he isnt attacking in coordination with ground forces as he should be.
      I’m not saying AA is unbalanced; I just want everybody to learn from other people’s experience on how to use it efficiently. I feel this could help the game become more fun for all.

Comment

Originally posted by Batausu
        I’m not saying AA is unbalanced; I just want everybody to learn from other people’s experience on how to use it efficiently. I feel this could help the game become more fun for all.
        It takes more then 2 stinger/igla missile hits to take down a chopper.

Comment

Originally posted by Eternal-Souljah
          It takes more then 2 stinger/igla missile hits to take down a chopper.
          for an ah to stay alive when the other team has good players it needs to keep moving in an evasive manner. Unless the pilot and gunner are very good chances are by the time it gets to the aa it has taken some 50 cal shots and can be brought down with 1 or 2 aa shots. ( but then I am spoiled i work with a good team)

i should say I am sooo happy that i dont shoot down my own ah anymore like when aa missles prefered to hit freindlies over enemy

hint to aa users if you have fired one missle fire the second so you will be reloaded with 2 missles for your next encounter

Comment

I have a couple diff strategies I use, it just depends on the pilots I am up against. I rarely play on servers with jets anymore so this is basically AA vs choppers I'm talking about.

I will either get lock, wait for flares, then fire both missiles in rapid successtion or if the chopper is reasonably close I will fire IMMEDIATELY after getting lock. A lot of pilots will wait a few seconds before they flare because they think they have time to spare so you can catch them with their pants down with 2 fast one. Also if the pilot is good you are only going to have lock for a couple seconds before he ducks behind something so you have to make the most of your opportunities.

After you fire, get out of the turret immediately... don't just sit in that thing waiting for them to hammer you. If the chopper is still alive 90% chance he is coming for you now. Hide somewhere within range of the AA and wait for him to show up. When he looks around and can't find you/hit you he will fly off to do something else and thats when you shove 2 more up his exhaust.

Just in general, don't sit in the AA unless you are firing. Try to spot your target outside of it, get in and fire then get out. Being mobile increases your chances of survival vs pilots.

Make use of the different AA stations across the map, don't just use one. If you shoot him down from 1 location, move to the next one then when he respawns and comes looking for you at the original AA station you can fire on him from range.

Remember it's not always about getting the kill in the AA, it's about making the pilots life miserable. If he has to keep repairing over and over then he is not shooting up your team.

Comment

Dunno if someone has said this but...

Only get in when the Jet/Chopper is facing away from you. This is so they can't just gun you down. Also don't sit in their all day becuase once you are manning that AA the bombing sights on the Jets light you up like a firework. Stay away from the jet if its facing you, as soon as it passes over the AA site get in and do your thing. It's just like attacking a tank, you don't fire rockets at it when the turret is facing you, do you?

Remember that the gunner in an attack chopper has 270 degrees (or something aroundt that number) of movement. So watch out.

Comment

Originally posted by Batausu
                1.21 was like heaven on earth and hell in the air. We had ‘point & click’ missiles.
                Now all is changed, almost the other way around.
                We need some easy to follow rules, some ideas on how to use efficiently this AA weapon we were given post 1.21.
                Choppers are too weak now, hardly a challenge to a competent AA ground unit, so here are some thoughts against jets:
                1-Don’t stay too long in it or you’ll become a primary target for every enemy pilot.
                2-If you see a plane coming strait at you, run! There is almost no chance you can hit him before he hits you with his cannons (unless he’s a newbie).
                3-Acquiring the target is the most important thing. Don’t shoot without a lock on.
                4-Wait 2 seconds after hearing the ‘lock on’ sound before you shoot. Somehow I noticed this to make the difference between a hit and a close miss.
                5-Don’t shoot both missiles at once. Wait for the first missile to hit, then for the second missile to lock on again.
                6-Shooting from behind increase the chance to hit.
                7-Expect flares, so wait for it to dissipate and then shoot. But don’t expect too much, or jets will leave your area.
                Feel free to add simple rules to this list, so everybody could benefit from our collective experience.

Good post- But the AA is way out of wack-any competent pilot can avoid AA now---they aren't very effective aginst undamaged copters either-1.21 was the only game version that balanced the table for ground forces- Now we are back to BF2 "Air Whore" like before

Comment

I don't agree with this one.
                  I always shoot both missiles at once and feel I have a better kill ratio because of it.
                  I wait for lock-on, readjust for flare drop and fire both at once. Then Jump out (See your #1 for that reason).
                  Usually if the first one is going to hit the second has a good chance too.
                  Waiting to use the second shot just leaves for time for you to become a target.

Comment

Agreed.

Fire both and get the hell out.

Comment

if im AT i try to hit the chopper with a rocket before ill get into the AA and finish him off

getting proficient with the AT really helps and can help your team...most chopper pilots will go get the chopper repaired after a large hit such as AT so it gives the ground pounders more time to hit up a flag

sharqi is one of the best maps for AT fired tows at choppers IMO

Comment

Working...
                      X