Spyware Problems...???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spyware Problems...???

I recently got a lot of spyware on my computer (dont ask how), but I managed to remove most of it using Hijack This, Adaware, and Spybot Search and Destroy. There is one thing that they didn't remove, and that is this annoying popup that keeps coming up saying "Your current settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. As a result, the page may not display correctly" This appears in a Popup box titled Microsoft Internet Explorer, but it happens at anytime, while browsing the Internet, listening to music, while playing bf2, and it makes my game crash or exit to desktop sometimes. I have tried to find ways to get rid of it. It pops up about every half hour, and it just won't stop. I can almost set my watch to it. I'm pretty sure it is spyware as it appears regularly and happens when doing anything on the computer. Does anyone know how I can fix this? Its just a major hassle thats wrecks gameplay. For some reason it wont let me attach the screenshot though... hopefully the verbal explanation helps. Thanks.

Re: Spyware Problems...???

You sure it's not:

Menu> CTRL PANEL> Internet Options> Security> Custom> Security settings?

Comment

I wouldnt recommend turning back on the activex controls without figuring what is triggering that message.. (he did say it even pops up when he is doing other things offline)

Comment

did u try a virus scan? my virus scanner (symantec) usually picks up spyware and stuff

Comment

Ive` found AVGfree(virus) and A2 (A squared)(spyware) to do the job, even detected a trojan in a Bf2 mod!

Comment

yah my norton antivirus is messed right now, subscription expired and it wont let me scan and stuff its weird. Im pretty sure this isnt a virus, it must be embedded somewhere if it keeps popping up on my screen...

Comment

Housecall

This is a free online spyware scan. Use it, it will scan and delete all spyware that you have.

Comment

Originally posted by 22viPer22
                There is one thing that they didn't remove, and that is this annoying popup that keeps coming up saying "Your current settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. As a result, the page may not display correctly" This appears in a Popup box titled Microsoft Internet Explorer, but it happens at anytime, while browsing the Internet
                That message is based on your security settings for the Internet Zone in IE. If you change the security settings to make that go away you are likely to open yourself up to additional spyware. Take the other dudes advice in this thread and try out some other spyware removers than what you've tried already.

Then the best advice I can give you is to quit using IE completely. It is a complete piece of garbage and I avoid it at all costs. Try FireFox or Opera instead.

And stay away from P2P file sharing sites (Kazaa, e-Donkey, etc). They are almost nothing but virus havens these days. Spend the 99 cents and buy from ITunes or somewhere else to get your music.

Comment

Originally posted by cheesewz
                  That message is based on your security settings for the Internet Zone in IE. If you change the security settings to make that go away you are likely to open yourself up to additional spyware. Take the other dudes advice in this thread and try out some other spyware removers than what you've tried already.

Then the best advice I can give you is to quit using IE completely. It is a complete piece of garbage and I avoid it at all costs. Try FireFox or Opera instead.

And stay away from P2P file sharing sites (Kazaa, e-Donkey, etc). They are almost nothing but virus havens these days. Spend the 99 cents and buy from ITunes or somewhere else to get your music.
                  Ditto, ditto, ditto. Particuarly on dumpting IE. You are just ASKING for trouble using it. Last summer I witnessed my wife infect her father's computer by typing in a misspelled URL (www.runnerswold.com or something like that). The misspelled URL came up and BANG, that computer became unusable it was so borked with spyware. I had to do a complete reinstall to get it working again.

Regarding your current issue, I would recommend a complete reinstall. If your stuff is organized and well backed up, it should be relatively painless, if time consuming. However, how much time could you invest in tracking down the existing problem? Potentially as much as reinstall takes...

The other option is to take your HijackThis log and post it over at MajorGeeks.com and have those guys look at it and step you through the removal of the rest of your ad/spyware.

Comment

You can also use an auto-analyzer (may not flag everything correctly) like this one here:http://hjt.networktechs.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X