Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frontlines: Fuel of War, Unreal Engine 3 modern combat FPS from Desert Combat devs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frontlines: Fuel of War, Unreal Engine 3 modern combat FPS from Desert Combat devs

This latest issue of Game Informer (the one with the Red Steel cover story) had revealed that the team behind the Desert Combat mod for BF1942 have formed a new studio called Kaos Studios and are working on an Unreal Engine 3 powered modern combat FPS called Frontlines: Fuel of War.

According to the article, the aim is to create an immersive world like Call of Duty 2 with the open world, non-linear gameplay of the Battlefield series. To aid in this, the game will have an actual singleplayer campaign as well as the expected multiplayer componenet.

The game will feature the usual sides (US/EU versus Russia/PRC) with over 60 weapons and vehicles available. The gameplay will feature a "front-line" that will move forward or backward depending on the territory captured by the opposing sides (kind of like a real war right?).

For the singleplayer, you won't play as one single character but as a division. You will have a squad at your disposal.

The game is scheduled for release in summer 2007. Looking at the graphics, it doesn't look like every other Unreal Engine 3 game we've seen so far (ie, no sci-fi soldiers in bulky armor) but they don't look quite as good as what we've seen in Quake Wars - of course the game is still in the early stages of development.
    Thanks to SFLUFAN from the IGN insider boards

Re: Frontlines: Fuel of War, Unreal Engine 3 modern combat FPS from Desert Combat devs

hmmm.....interesting

Comment

Re: Frontlines: Fuel of War, Unreal Engine 3 modern combat FPS from Desert Combat devs

Sounds like it should be a good game, now we just wait.

Comment

sounds cool

Comment

Re: Frontlines: Fuel of War, Unreal Engine 3 modern combat FPS from Desert Combat dev

[Mr. Burns]

excellent :drevil:

[/Mr. Burns]

Comment

cant wait to check it out. will it be relaesed as a retail game or a mod

Comment

I hope the new Unreal engine is harder to hack than the old 1.

Comment

It will more than likely be a game in and of itself. They designed BF2 or most of it if I am not mistaken then they got the boot. That is why they are now known as KAOS and not Dice.

Comment

Sounds awesome

I just hope they wont pick EA as their publisher

Comment

[Bill and Ted]

excellent!

[/Bill and Ted]

Comment

sounds cool. the Unreal engine 3 is insane. hopefully they can make another good WW2 game. (btw, Brothers in Arms for the xbox360 is a WW2 game that already uses the same engine)

But I think Ill wait for the project offset engine to come out

Comment

Well, for those who do not have the magazine, aherm.

*points to signature*.

Yes.

The only thing that bothered me was that they said it would only feature 32 players online. I'm not sure if this is due to limitations with the engine, or a design decision. While I personaly have never enjoyed a full 64 player server, I would still like the ability to allow more players, for things such as the Sir. Community, and other large groups of specialty gamers. (On good days, there would be no way we could have everyone in the server at the same time.) Otherwise, it has always been my opinion that the optimal amount of players for gameplay to flow properly is 16 to 32.

Comment

I thought the desert combat people got hired by Dice and helped make BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Sir. Hoppum
                            I thought the desert combat people got hired by Dice and helped make BF2
                            hehe no. they were around for the intitial stages of development but the hard yards were done by dice Sweden.

hopefully this clears this up once and for all....

Comment

I guess they work for THQ now, this is from February:

Major U.S. headquartered publisher THQ Inc. today announced the opening of the New York-based Kaos Studios, founded by veterans of Trauma Studios, creators of the Desert Combat and Battlefield 2 R&D projects, as a new internal THQ studio.

Kaos' first project is an original intellectual property for next generation consoles and Windows PC scheduled for release in 2007, according to a company statement.

Trauma Studios was originally set up by the creators of the at that time non-professional Desert Combat mod, and was purchased by Battlefield 2 creator Digital Illusions CE back in September 2004. However, following Electronic Arts' success in its concerted efforts to build a majority holding in DICE, Trauma was closed in June 2005, with DICE saying only that the conditions and the future plans of the company differed considerably following the EA majority shareholding.

Comment

Working...
                              X