Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bfg 7800 gs oc agp bad FPS

I got a BFG 7800 GS OC, my setup is as follows
    Intel p4 2.8 Ghz (pulled out of a dell dimension 3000)
    Asus socket 478 p4p800 SE motherboard
    BFG 7800 GS OC
    two HD, one Samsung 80 Gb (pulled out of dell dimension 3000) and one Maxtor 300 Gb HD.
    Antec Truepower 480 W PSU
    1.7 Gb of RAM (2X512 MB Kingston paored up, 1X512 kingston and 1x 256(pulled out of dell)

I play bf2 at 1024X768 and I tried to set everything on high with 4Xaa and the frame rate is like 15-30. I should be getting more then this. Any ideas why? I have all the latest drivers and updated BIOS for MOBO. Is it the processor holding me back?

Re: bfg 7800 gs oc agp bad FPS

Replace the 256mb with another 512mb, you should run ram in pairs.

Comment

What he said^^^^

Comment

yar what they said, right now if would probably be better if you just pulled that 256 out and ran with 1.5

also youre using a 7800 with agp?

i didnt realize they made one fore agp

Comment

There's a GS in AGP, but the GTX is PCI-E only.

Comment

actually that's the benefit of the gs, is that it's agp for people that haven't yet upgraded to pci-e...

you definately have a problem somewhere, i know variable just got a bfg 7800gs and gets 70-80fps...don't remember how much ram he has, maybe he'll chime in here

Comment

The processor aint top of the line man. My friend has that setup with 2 gigs of ram, but with a 6800 and an Intel. Intel pretty much sucks for games. If you have the money, upgrade to an AMD. I think it is the Inel that is holding it back.

Comment

Theres not that big of a differnce when useing Intel. i am useing a Intel 2.8 with 1 gig of ram and a 9800 pro, It runs geat. So if u like Intel stick with em.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir. Blades
                  The processor aint top of the line man. My friend has that setup with 2 gigs of ram, but with a 6800 and an Intel. Intel pretty much sucks for games. If you have the money, upgrade to an AMD. I think it is the Inel that is holding it back.
                  as much as i like amd that is quite the unsubstantiated comment...an intel processor of equal speed to an amd isn't going to perform noticably worse, infact you probably couldn't tell much of a difference at all...it's quite likely that you won't acheive as good FPS results, but as far as one being greatly better than the other, it's not going to happen...

Comment

Originally posted by xZeler8
                    actually that's the benefit of the gs, is that it's agp for people that haven't yet upgraded to pci-e...

you definately have a problem somewhere, i know variable just got a bfg 7800gs and gets 70-80fps...don't remember how much ram he has, maybe he'll chime in here
                    Yea, 60-85 fps about 90% of the time. I have pretty conservative settings, though.

Here's my setup:

- Pentium 4 3.0E (Socket 478)
                    - BFG Geforce 7800 GS OC AGP
                    - 2 GB Corsair XMS PC3200 DDR400
                    - SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
                    - Some hard drive
                    - ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe mobo

The real performance increase came from opening the AGP Aperture to 256 MB and disabling almost all of the on-board mobo functions (like audio and NIC).

Comment

That video card is not ment to be run @ 4AA al HIgh with 1280x1024. And your CPU is also bottleneck here. Try clock your CPU to 3.5 ghz at least

Comment

Using ram in pairs is better because of overclock potential and stability. It is better you drop your 256mb and leave the slot open or better yet add another 512mb so you get a balance memory. Double sided memory in pairs runs at 400mhz (x2 FSB = 800mhz in Intel if DDR1) better than 3 double sided ram which would run at 333mhz not 400mhz. This is the reason most will have issues overclocking a 3 sticks ram, it should come in identical pairs.

Comment

Working...
                        X