CPU Usage on BF2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU Usage on BF2

Hi, my question is regarding the CPU usage while playing BF2. I have a two monitor configuration, so i tried keeping open the Windows Task Manager on my secondary device to keep track of the CPU stats.

I noticed that BF2 will never go above 55 or 60 % of cpu usage, while the system idle process uses up the rest of it. Is BF2 not using the CPU to its full capabilities ? Is it possible to allocate more CPU power to BF2 ?

BTW, I´m using the .bat file described on optimization guides to set the priority of BF2 to high, so I thought this would increase the CPU usage on BF2, but had no results.

Please shed some light on this matter, as I think I´m not beeing able to use the CPU to its full extent.

My config is the folowing:
    CPU Prescott Pentium 4 HT 3.2 @ 3.45, socket 478
    1.5 GB RAM DDR 400 CL3
    Windows XP Pro SP1
    GeForce 6600 GT 128 MB
    System Disk - WD 40 GB IDE 7200 RPM
    BF2 Disk - Maxtor 160 GB SATA 7200 RPM
    SB Live! Value
    MoBo MSI 848P Neo-V (MS-6788)

Re: CPU Usage on BF2

BF2 is just not a very CPU intensive game, it relies on the video card way to much, there is no way that i know of for making it use more of the Cpu... sorry.

Comment

Make it a high priority application?
      That's all i can think of.

Comment

when I play bf2 and go back to task manager after playing its all 100% all of teh time. I dont know if that is all bf2 or not, but it doesnt matter. it uses what it can and thats all. as said it is a more GPU and ram reliant game.

Comment

Probabably has to do with hyperthreadiing on your CPU and BF2 being only single threaded. Nothing you can do about it.

Just a guess.

Comment

What if I disable HT ?

Comment

Originally posted by cvitanic
              What if I disable HT ?
              I have no idea. Like I said it was just a guess.

Comment

Well, I just disabled HT on BIOS and guess what... CPU Usage went up yo 100% in game !!! I think I did get a performance increase but I´d like to know how to run a Demo or Benchmark within BF2 to find out if it helps at all. Anyone knows how ?

Comment

I doubt you'll really see a diffrence, probably just a placebo effect. Should be the same both ways.

Comment

Put it this way.. if its not using 100% of ur CPU then its coz it doesnt need to use ne more. I dont think that there is ne help in disabling the HT.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir. Blak_Pheonix
                      BF2 is just not a very CPU intensive game, it relies on the video card way to much, there is no way that i know of for making it use more of the Cpu... sorry.
                      Yes BF2 relies on GFX card alot but
                      I thought BF2 put most of its weight on RAM. It demands more than 1 GB to play on maxed out settings, and 1 GB to get decent frames in medium high.

Comment

bf2 mainly uses vid card. You will notice the cpu being used when you play singleplayer, not online.

Comment

My pc uses CPU on 100%, but RAM on 77%

Comment

Working...
                          X