Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any drawback when playing on a server that doesn't verify client data??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any drawback when playing on a server that doesn't verify client data??

I heard sometime ago that if you play on a server that is Linux or something other than windows, I believe, they don't verify client data thus decreasing time it takes to load up a map. So I tested this and played on a Linux server and it went right through VCD process and I was able to play. Im wondering now if there i any drawback or disadvantage of playing on a server that doesn't VCD. ( VCD= Verify client data)

Re: Any drawback when playing on a server that doesn't verify client data??

Good question, bump.

Comment

Why did DICE put VCD on windows servers and not on linux servers? Why o Why?

Comment

From my understanding Linux does verify client data, it just does it alot faster than windows.

Comment

wow this is an interesting thread i never knew this.

Comment

Originally posted by papi4baby
            From my understanding Linux does verify client data, it just does it alot faster than windows.
            That was also my understanding.............

Comment

The drawback is a higher risk of haxxorz.

Comment

Originally posted by ||bfa||variable
                The drawback is a higher risk of haxxorz.
                True if there was no verifying. But like i said, i was told that Linux does verify, just is very efficient at it.

Comment

i heard linux verifys faster but not as carefully

Comment

Yeah, I'm pretty sure all servers do VCD, but Windows is not very efficient at it, why not I don't know.

Comment

You have to manually create/copy some files from the win32 server client, to make pure_1 (Client data verification) work on Linux, which is quite a hazzle.

Of course, not every server admin can be bothered with this, so most Linux server run on pure_0 (meaning no VCD) and therefor let the client connect faster.
                      Windows servers can also run pure_0, but its rather an exception.

The difference between pure_1 and pure_0 (client data verification) is that you, as a client, can do ANYTHING to your BF and you wont get kicked from the server.
                      With ANYTHING, i mean stuff like your M16 doesnt do 30 dmg per shot, but 60.
                      Your PKM doesnt have 100 rounds per chain, but 50000.
                      Your M95 only takes 0.1 second to reload.
                      You dont have 100 Health, but 500.
                      Your knife is not a melee weapon, but you can kill anything at 500 feet range.

just examples of what you can do on servers that dont have CDV.
                      They dont check if you have altered your BF in any way.

This hasent been known for long, but now, every good league forces you to have pure_1 (client data verification) on your server.

Comment

ive never had any probs on a linux server... but the VCD does only take like half a second

Comment

You have to manually create/copy some files from the win32 server client, to make pure_1 (Client data verification) work on Linux, which is quite a hazzle.

Of course, not every server admin can be bothered with this, so most Linux server run on pure_0 (meaning no VCD) and therefor let the client connect faster.
                          Windows servers can also run pure_0, but its rather an exception.

The difference between pure_1 and pure_0 (client data verification) is that you, as a client, can do ANYTHING to your BF and you wont get kicked from the server.
                          With ANYTHING, i mean stuff like your M16 doesnt do 30 dmg per shot, but 60.
                          Your PKM doesnt have 100 rounds per chain, but 50000.
                          Your M95 only takes 0.1 second to reload.
                          You dont have 100 Health, but 500.
                          Your knife is not a melee weapon, but you can kill anything at 500 feet range.

just examples of what you can do on servers that dont have CDV.
                          They dont check if you have altered your BF in any way.

This hasent been known for long, but now, every good league forces you to have pure_1 (client data verification) on your server.
                          Wow, I never knew this, thx for the information
                          I was watching a bf2 video one time and this guy was killing poeple with his knife 20 feet away and off of roof tops. He also was shooting 20 rockets out of his SRAW like it was automatic or something. He could have been playing on a server with no VCD and exploited it.

Comment

That wasnt a real hack ^

Comment

If you want to play on windows ranked servers with no "VCD", all you have to do is go to a server that does not have battlerecorder. This is signified by the small green screen on the server menu. The servers without battlerecorder have virtually no VCD and will load up fairly fast for low end computers.

Comment

Working...
                              X