new graphics card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new graphics card

i have a bone stock dell demension desktop with a nvidia geforce fx5500 i can barely run BF2 i gatta run everything at low and its still choppy i got 500 whitch graphics card and other stuff should i get?

Re: new graphics card

Whats your other specs?

Comment

That was a mid-range card two years ago. Yes, you should replace it. But I think everyone here is going to want to know the specs for the rest of your machine before making any definitive suggestions. After all, buying a new card could amount to putting lipstick on a pig if the rest of your system is antiquated.

Comment

Wait until DX10 cards come out, then upgrade.

Comment

Yes...things you should give include:
          What processor type/speed you have - this is so we know how fast your pc is running. Typically, this will be in the form of Pentium 4 1.8GHz or AMD Athlon 1800+.
          How much RAM you have - if this is a standard spec PC, you will probably have 512MB or 1GB of RAM
          What expansion slot types you have - what we're looking for here is PCI, PCI-Express, or AGP. This is so we know what kind of video card you must purchase.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Comment

my memory is 510 MB
            bus type is PCI
            my prossesor is GenuineIntel Family 15 Model 3 2.8 GHz Stepping 4

Comment

PCI?? Ouch, time for a new mobo...and more RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShowTheWord6
                my memory is 510 MB
                bus type is PCI
                my prossesor is GenuineIntel Family 15 Model 3 2.8 GHz Stepping 4
                Well, you have an AGP slot that your current card is plugged into. Any AGP card you buy now will only be serviceable for the life of your existing motherboard as AGP is all but dead. If you can upgrade your memory to 1 Gig as well, then I *might* think about a new card. You'll get

BUT, you can put together a very decent gaming rig for $800-1000 that will seriously blow the pants off your current hardware and be upgradeable in the future. The $200 or so that you'll dump into your existing machine will be lost value.

Comment

well the fx5500 could be either pci or agp

firstly if you can suffer the lagg till september-october i would new proccessor and graphics cards are going to be released

but if you cant you can proably get a good amount of parts for $500 i would reccomend firstly

download a tool that tells you about your pc e.g

1. new motherboard (with pci-e slot) something that doesnt cost too much youll have to find one that will fit your proccessor too

2. new graphics card your probly looking in the $200 range for a decent graphics card

3. more ram with any luck you will have 2 or more ram slots free and you can add more ram 2x512mb would be good

youll probly have some $ to spare too

Comment

If you are up for buying a new processor (to move from Intel to AMD 939), this is a great deal.

The EVGA motherboard is a very, very good board and getting it for free is pretty sweet. True, the 7800 series is is now old hat, but this card will run any game out there respectably at the very least. You would also be able to build a whole new system around these two componants. The EVGA mobo even has SLI, even though it is 8x not 16x.

HOWEVER if you buy a new motherboard, you may need to buy a new power supply as well. Dell has used proprietary, non-ATX format mobos and PSUs, even though they look standard, down to the connectors they use. The actual pinouts are different and will not work with standards-based equipment.

And then you would need to buy new RAM as well. Slippery slope. Me? I would just buy a new, open standards machine and move forward from there. I would not even wait for new processors/cards later this year. You can spend you whole life waiting and never buying in the computer hardware industry given the pace at which new products are released.

Originally posted by Death Merchant
                    well the fx5500 could be either pci or agp

firstly if you can suffer the lagg till september-october i would new proccessor and graphics cards are going to be released

but if you cant you can proably get a good amount of parts for $500 i would reccomend firstly

download a tool that tells you about your pc e.g

1. new motherboard (with pci-e slot) something that doesnt cost too much youll have to find one that will fit your proccessor too

2. new graphics card your probly looking in the $200 range for a decent graphics card

3. more ram with any luck you will have 2 or more ram slots free and you can add more ram 2x512mb would be good

youll probly have some $ to spare too

Comment

Originally posted by ShowTheWord6
                      i have a bone stock dell demension desktop with a nvidia geforce fx5500 i can barely run BF2 i gatta run everything at low and its still choppy i got 500 whitch graphics card and other stuff should i get?
                      Wait till you have $800 and build a new PC. Your computer is really crappy and there's no reason to put make up on it.

Comment

Working...
                      X