Setting Refresh rates to 180

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting Refresh rates to 180

So how can I set my in-game montior refresh rate to 180 hz? It only goes up to 75, and I think I remember it going up to 180 before I reinstalled the game.

Re: Setting Refresh rates to 180

Originally posted by Animalmother
    So how can I set my in-game montior refresh rate to 180 hz? It only goes up to 75, and I think I remember it going up to 180 before I reinstalled the game.
    Have you installed drivers for your monitor? If you use MS plug&play drivers for monitor, I doubt you get anywhere over 85Hz. A often overlooked point, as ppl almost always use default Windows drivers, when they can get much more out of their CRT if they just used the correct drivers.

My monitor can run 200Hz in 800x600 and 160Hz in 1024x768 so I'm guessing you are using a low resolution like these?

If you set it to 180Hz remember that BF2, has game.lockFPS to 100, so this would needed to set to 180 too or the 180Hz is pointless. Alternatively just settings Hz to 100, would suffice, I doubt you would notice the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Animalmother
      yeah put it at 180, burn out your poor monitor. 180 is overkill.

Comment

180....why would u ever do that to ur monitor..

Comment

Originally posted by ConscriptVirus
          180....why would u ever do that to ur monitor..
          More Hz means more FPS. No matter what your FPS counter says, if your Hz are less than the amount of FPS your video card is producing, you will only get the amount of FPS the monitor is capale in Hz.

Most ppl don't give a damn about their monitor, when in fact it is just as important as the gfx card. A good CRT means higher resolutions at higher Hz.

LCDs are a bit different, but are still limited by their response time, which is comparable to Hz, in way of the factor that limits its FPS.
          For a LCD the amount of FPS it can max produce is 1000/response time, e.g. 1000/16ms = ~60 FPS MAX. FPS on a LCD is kinda wrong as it isn't frames rendered on a LCD, but how fast one liquid crystal can change.

Comment

In other words, if you Refresh at 80Hz and BF2 says you are getting 120fps, then you can only ever see 80 of those 120 frames per second!!! That means, you could spend a fortune on the latest motherboard, CPU, RAM and video card, only to have half that value wiped out by plugging it into a crappy monitor. Unfortunately, most PC sales people have no idea about this however, so they can claim [sarcasm] ignorance [/sarcasm] of this whole issue.

Comment

yeh but over 35fps is playable for me and 50+ is flawless

"The exact rate varies depending upon the person, their level of fatigue, the brightness of the light source, and the area of the retina that is being used to observe the light source. Few people perceive flicker above 75 hertz or so".

so as you can see its pointless to have over 75 hertz because your eyes pick up as 75 hertz is a maximum probably less for most people

older consoles like the n64 and ps1 used to run around 20fps it was only later when i went back to it that i realised how low the framerate really was

Comment

Originally posted by Death Merchant
                yeh but over 35fps is playable for me and 50+ is flawless

"The exact rate varies depending upon the person, their level of fatigue, the brightness of the light source, and the area of the retina that is being used to observe the light source. Few people perceive flicker above 75 hertz or so".

so as you can see its pointless to have over 75 hertz because your eyes pick up as 75 hertz is a maximum probably less for most people

older consoles like the n64 and ps1 used to run around 20fps it was only later when i went back to it that i realised how low the framerate really was
                That varies a great deal from person to person, and the hardware. There's no limit to how many FPS/Hz a person's eye is able to differienciate from.

You can look here for articles here where they mention the above:

Above 72 Hz the annoying flicker should stop and not strain your eyes anymore (CRT only) like you mention.
                But I can still detect if my CRT runs only 85Hz, and I percieve it as flicker and thus low for me. My personal preferenece is above 85Hz, e.g. 100Hz.

There's a difference in what ppl are able to detect in Hz, and in how many FPS in a game they see as fluid enough for proper gameplay. Eventhough I might see 85Hz flickering on the desktop, I might see a much lower FPS count in a game as being fluid.

Comment

i run at 75hz no problems at all

my monitor goes to 85hz at 1280x1024 but i honestly cant see no difference

anywhere below 35 it seems in slow motion and after an hour or two of this i get migranes/headaches

Comment

Working...
                  X