Getting your own server ranked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting your own server ranked

Rather than paying hundreds of dollars for leasing a server, why can't you host your own server thats ranked? I don't understand this... If one has a dedicated server with 100MBit connectivity, why cant they host their own ranked server?

Re: Getting your own server ranked

EA will gouge you for money any way they can, perhaps you've heard of booster packs?

Comment

Yeah... I have... but its not only EA...

EA selects 3rd party hosts to host ranked servers... obviously they are capable of letting others host ranked servers.

(for example... Clanservers.com is a cheap 3rd party host... 5 dollars less per slot than ea themselves...)

Why select these hosts, while not giving this option to the public?

Comment

Because EA can't enforce the ROE if they can't monitor the server

Comment

Hell... I dont care if they monitor my server... I just want to get a ranked battlefield 2 server without paying hundreds of dollars per month.......

Comment

Yeah, there's the possibility of someone modifying the ranked server software to give people free points or stats, so EA keeps it tightly controlled.

Or at least that's what they want you to think

Comment

I heard somewhere and I'm sure to be corrected, providers that host private ranked servers must host official public ranked servers as well. That way EA doesn't have to house all the servers themselves.

Is this true?

Comment

Because the company's that host the ranked servers have to pay for the "ranked" information for said server hosts. The means that EA just dosn't make money per unit sold, its also per server setup sold, they are a coorperation that has the same goal as everyone else, to stay out of the red and put a little coin in their pocket. Can ya' really blame them? This is just like "honor" servers in America's Army or any other game with a ranking system that makes you pay. (I'm unsure on other games that I have not played)

Comment

Originally posted by QuikSilver
                  Yeah... I have... but its not only EA...

EA selects 3rd party hosts to host ranked servers... obviously they are capable of letting others host ranked servers.

(for example... Clanservers.com is a cheap 3rd party host... 5 dollars less per slot than ea themselves...)

Why select these hosts, while not giving this option to the public?
                  This is called doing business. Can you say kaching? All of these server farms pay a fee to EA to connect to the stats servers and to run ranked server software. They in turn pass along these fees plus a markup for their own profit to people that want to host their own server. You are free to negotiate with EA to participate in this same business model. So if what you're really asking is why doesn't EA allow you set up a ranked server for free, the answer is quite simple. They are in business to make money.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightning20
                    Because the company's that host the ranked servers have to pay for the "ranked" information for said server hosts. The means that EA just dosn't make money per unit sold, its also per server setup sold, they are a coorperation that has the same goal as everyone else, to stay out of the red and put a little coin in their pocket. Can ya' really blame them? This is just like "honor" servers in America's Army or any other game with a ranking system that makes you pay. (I'm unsure on other games that I have not played)
                    OMG! Another company trying to MAKE money?! You capitalist pig bastards!!! You die! You die and you go to hell!

(/sarcasm)

Comment

Originally posted by [ak]Nuts
                      I heard somewhere and I'm sure to be corrected, providers that host private ranked servers must host official public ranked servers as well. That way EA doesn't have to house all the servers themselves.

Is this true?
                      That actually sounds about right. I know in the very beginning, EA called them "trusted partners". Only a select group of server providers were selected by EA themselves. EA does host their own ranked servers, you cans ee them in the list as "EA WC 09 Ranked" or something. Meaning it is West Coast server #08.

Comment

Originally posted by Revoluti0n
                        EA does host their own ranked servers, you cans ee them in the list as "EA WC 09 Ranked" or something. Meaning it is West Coast server #08.
                        But are they EA's servers or just hosted by a Partner?

Comment

I think they are EA's actual servers, as far as I know.

Comment

Working...
                          X