Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To voltmod, or not to voltmod? That is the question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To voltmod, or not to voltmod? That is the question.

So it comes to this. I'm thinking of voltmodding my GPU. The 2 methods I am thinking are these.
    A.

B.

First example is 1.4V
    Second is 1.55V

Stock is 1.2V

Example results are:
    If anyones interested I did the 1.4v, 1.5v and 1.55v mods. The max for each were 650 for 1.4v and 685 for 1.5v, Not sure on the 1.55v max yet - still in testings.
    The above guy benched at over 700core @1.55V.

To this leaves me with the question, should I?

Thread thouroughly explaining it for those that care.
    There must be some kind of OVP in these cards. I tried 1.27V and it works great, but anything over that will cause black screen :mad: With 1.27V I can bench 615@1750. My old 7800GT did same with 1.84V--> so what is the problem here? I hope there is someone who can help us.

So what do you all think?

Re: To voltmod, or not to voltmod? That is the question.

Well as i said on AIM I say go for it... But be carefull. Put it this way you will have the fastest 7900GT on these forums though! LOL.

Comment

Why didn't I put this in hardware....

Mod please move at your convience.

Comment

some cards are easy to voltmod all you have to do is lightly pencil over the resistor that controls the voltage as the graphite (an excellent conductor) lowers the resistance to the electricity passing over the resistor so increasing voltages

this guy was telling me he had done this on a 7600gt and its clocked very high but produced extreme amounts of heat

however im not sure if this method will work with a 7900gt

im not sure its worth wasting a $300+ card just for a couple of fps your already gonna be getting great framerates with that rig anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Death Merchant
          some cards are easy to voltmod all you have to do is lightly pencil over the resistor that controls the voltage as the graphite (an excellent conductor) lowers the resistance to the electricity passing over the resistor so increasing voltages

this guy was telling me he had done this on a 7600gt and its clocked very high but produced extreme amounts of heat

however im not sure if this method will work with a 7900gt

im not sure its worth wasting a $300+ card just for a couple of fps your already gonna be getting great framerates with that rig anyway
          Um,. ok did you read the link? This is for a 7900gt and requires no soldering, only a conductive pen. I'm going to give it a shot later today.

Comment

Originally posted by lil_jimmy_norton
            Um,. ok did you read the link? This is for a 7900gt and requires no soldering, only a conductive pen. I'm going to give it a shot later today.
            why waste our time if you have already made up your mind?

Comment

Well I would say solder the link otherwise what happens if the link falls out?

Comment

Originally posted by Death Merchant
                why waste our time if you have already made up your mind?

At the time of the original posting I hadn't decided.

Originally posted by Sir. Eden
                Well I would say solder the link otherwise what happens if the link falls out?

Conductive ink doesn't fall out....

Holy ****! I did the mod and got some VERY good results. I'll post more details when I get done benchmarking.

Comment

Working...
                X