Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crash to Desktop and RAM? Is it related?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crash to Desktop and RAM? Is it related?

I am running BF2 on a cheap system with a decent graphics card ATI Radeon X850 Pro, Pentium 4 2.4ghz, 512MB RAM, 80GB HDD, etc. but I sometimes experience a crash to desktop once or twice a week. Is this due to only having 512mb ram, or is it with ati cards? There have been several times where I have exited the game and a box comes up saying "system low on virtual memory". Also, I run the game at all med settings except for lighting that is low, 1600x1200 resolution and 6x anti aliasing. And yes, please don't say lower your graphics levels, ive already been there and done that...

Re: Crash to Desktop and RAM? Is it related?

Originally posted by 22viPer22
    I am running BF2 on a cheap system with a decent graphics card ATI Radeon X850 Pro, Pentium 4 2.4ghz, 512MB RAM, 80GB HDD, etc. but I sometimes experience a crash to desktop once or twice a week. Is this due to only having 512mb ram, or is it with ati cards? There have been several times where I have exited the game and a box comes up saying "system low on virtual memory". Also, I run the game at all med settings except for lighting that is low, 1600x1200 resolution and 6x anti aliasing. And yes, please don't say lower your graphics levels, ive already been there and done that...
    turn your resultion down..and yea more ram will help.

Comment

oh boy i need help, today i went to get 1.50gigs of ram, i start up bf2, get into the game ok, no lag, but then suddenly get a dump to the desktop, it goes by really fast, any sugestions?

Comment

There's no way you can run such high settings without more memory. 512MB of ram is just making your vid card impotent. You can raise the amount of virtual memory your system is using in the meantime but I'd recommend getting more ram. It's pretty damn cheap right now.

Comment

There have been several times where I have exited the game and a box comes up saying "system low on virtual memory".
          Defrag, free up space on your HD, and make sure your pagefile is adequately set. Here, from a google search on "system low on virtual memory"

Microsoft support is here to help you with Microsoft products. Find how-to articles, videos, and training for Microsoft Copilot, Microsoft 365, Windows, Surface, and more.

Your additional memory should resolve the problem, but you should still clean out your HD and defrag it if you want the best performance.

edit: here, another tip on what to do about your error:

Comment

I agree with megawampertoo,

Definetly do the clear page file, restart then defrag and set it again that way it clears any defragmentations in your page file. In general with 512mb of ram it is good to have around 1565mb, that way combined you have 2 gb of total memory (Physical and virtual), but dont think that is the same as having 2 gb of physcial ram.

This should solve the low virtual mem, but doing additional things like shutting down any background programs is necessary too.

Comment

Working...
            X