Graphics Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphics Card

What is a good graphics card that'll let me run BF2 at higher settings?
    Right now, I have 1gb ram, but I lag considerably when I play with high settings. I'm looking for a cheap graphics card. Anyone have suggestions?

Re: Graphics Card

depends... what kind of graphics card do you have now... you might be better served upgrading to 2Gbs of ram.

Comment

AGP or PCI-ex?, and yes, 2 GB of RAM may help a lot too...

Comment

I would suggest you also up your RAM to 2 Gigs. This made a HUGE difference in improvement.

For higher settings, you would want at least the 6800 or 7800 video cards from nVidia (could an ATI fan please post corresponding levels from ATI?). For High settings, you're looking at over $350. For ultra high, it'll be over $400.

More specifics would be forthcoming, but we need your vide card set (PCI, PCI-Express, or AGP).

I run AGP with an nVidia GeForce 7800 GS, which is a 256 card .

Comment

if you want a good video card, it won't be cheap. if you're using AGP, it's definitely not cheap. you'll have to upgrade your motherboard, new power supply (for most) maybe a new cpu, new PCI cards in PCI-e format, and a PCI-e video card (which also probably needs a new powersupply with 12v: 20+ amps. stay away from thermaltake. NONE of those will work.)

Comment

I'm not that wise with computers, but I think I've seen the phrase AGP displayed on my computer when I was messing around with it. But the best I know is that this card came with the computer.

Thanks for the help btw. But I'll be lucky if I get $30 for SF. =(

Comment

if you're looking for Ati ... an AGP X850XT will probably run a few hundred dollars and you can run on all high depending on your resolution.

But depending on your card... I still might go with more RAM instead.

Comment

Yeah...RAM is most important here...and might be cheaper to upgrade depending on what RAM you use. Do that first and see how your PC performs.

Comment

Geforce 4 MX 440..

Comes at a blistering 64mb!

Comment

Is it difficult to upgrade and stuff? Cause I don't want to mess up my computer.

Comment

You got scotch tape?

It's just a matter of plug-n'-play. Remove the old, uninstall drivers, put in the new, reinstall drivers.

Comment

ram and video cards are a pretty simple upgrade, if you can put together furniture from IKEA you should be able to add more ram or swap video cards.

Comment

I got the AGP ATI x800 xt platinum edition and 1.5gb ram, I run it on 1024x768, I have everything on highest setting accept Anti Aliasing, which I have off, it can handle it at 2x but the improvement isn't noticeable so I turn it off. This cost me £170 off ebay, I think you're looking at over £200 new. or about £150 for PCI-e.

Comment

X700Pro PCI-E is about the best bang for your buck right now. If you need it in AGP, tough luck.

It runs Oblivion on Max settings (Except HDR, which isn't supported on this card), and it runs BF2 at 1280x1024/Max Settings.

{WP}Paas

Comment

I think if you want high settings, you're going to have to spend a fair bit. I used this list to decide which to get, it's a top 10 of Graphics cards, although I don't know how accurate it is - http://internetgames.about.com/cs/to...videocards.htm

No. 10 is about $150, but it says it could only run some games on lower settings. If you see a card you like, I search in google for a review on that card, there's a few sites that do it, they test it out on different games and let you know how it performs, like here - http://www.hothardware.com/reviews.aspx

Comment

Working...
                              X