Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [3 Vids] Dogfight Day Impressions

Hello everybody,

i'd like to share my impressions from the Dogfight Day - custom map server with you. I'm not involved with the organisation of this public contest, yet playing the custom map was one of the best gameplay experiences i had with BF2 so far. I liked it so much that i made the following short movies.

[Movie 1]
    Gameplay and Introduction to the map. Click.

[Movie 2]
    The modders took out the J-10 for obvious reasons, which leaves 3 powerfull Jets for the Dogfight Competition.
    Intro and Scissors,Paper,Rock comparison of the jets. Click.

[Movie 3]
    The J-10 is caged on the ground, yet some people found a way to set it free. This movie took most time and effort to edit, i hope you like it.Click.

Playing this map my dogfighting skills skyrocketed, the learning process is fast and tough. Still i have trouble to maintain a K/D ratio of 1, when playing this Aviators' Karkand.

The original topic (the contest takes place in 8 hours from now):

Comments are appreciated.

Re: [3 Vids] Dogfight Day Impressions

Yeah it's a fun map that, not too serious, I kept spawning in the F35, then had to kill myself as I fell in the sea Great fun hunting in formation.

Comment

shows how newbie friendly missiles are :| aim, wait for flares, spam and get a kill, 1337 skills.

Comment

So like... uhm... wheres the dogfighting?

These videos made me cry inside, more than anything. Interesting to watch though.

EDIT: Thank you for the musical credits- Drumbone is my new favourite tune :P

Comment

lol loved the j-10 video

Comment

NO! You did not use Relax from Frankie goes to Holleywood song in that video? Please tell me i am having a nightmare. OMG, DUDE!

Comment

Originally posted by zipp0r
              shows how newbie friendly missiles are :| aim, wait for flares, spam and get a kill, 1337 skills.
              Thanks for your comments guys.
              Dogfighting now is better than ever, and its certainly not fire and forget like it has been after 1.2.
              Both rockets and gun have their place now. The game really changed for the better, believe it or not.

The videos can be misleading, since they only show kills. Against a good pilot in a F-18 maybe 1 of 5 rockets ever hits and flares hardly help.
              The eurofighter is almost impossible to hit unless you fire rockets from a certain distance and a certain angle.

The only plane which can't do jack about missiles is the F-35B, whenever it is targeted, it goes down. The Mig is also pretty vulnerable but it has outstanding maneuvrability so when one turnes sharp (into the right direction) only 2 of 6 fired rockets will hit.

If you have mastered the 'old school dogfight' a.k.a. chasing some guy with the board cannon for 5 minutes or longer, this definitivly will benefit your performance. Sneaking up helps too.

Comment

ok how did you paint the air planes like the blue angles??

Comment

Originally posted by Crampas
                  Thanks for your comments guys.
                  Dogfighting now is better than ever, and its certainly not fire and forget like it has been after 1.2.
                  Both rockets and gun have their place now. The game really changed for the better, believe it or not.

The videos can be misleading, since they only show kills. Against a good pilot in a F-18 maybe 1 of 5 rockets ever hits and flares hardly help.
                  The eurofighter is almost impossible to hit unless you fire rockets from a certain distance and a certain angle.

The only plane which can't do jack about missiles is the F-35B, whenever it is targeted, it goes down. The Mig is also pretty vulnerable but it has outstanding maneuvrability so when one turnes sharp (into the right direction) only 2 of 6 fired rockets will hit.

If you have mastered the 'old school dogfight' a.k.a. chasing some guy with the board cannon for 5 minutes or longer, this definitivly will benefit your performance. Sneaking up helps too.
                  vs the f35 its fire and forget, nearly as bad for the mig29, the j10's pretty good (compared to the previous 2), but the f18 can be stupidly brilliant at dodging all 6 missiles even with no flares, better than the j10!!

now what i meant by its now skillless is that its over far too quickly and the A2A are still too newbie friendly. nearly any time, any angle e.t.c that you shoot you will get hits, with almost no chance to evade. once theyre down, 30seconds later, you have to do the same again ZZZZzzzz

Comment

Originally posted by Deez
                    NO! You did not use Relax from Frankie goes to Holleywood song in that video? Please tell me i am having a nightmare. OMG, DUDE!
                    Yeah, well i've seen the music video to this song recently and i actually was worried that it may sound a little gay. I used it anyway, because i like the humor of "Zoolander" movie. (Relax was the main theme)

I figured that all the connotations swinging along with "Relax, if u wanna come...!" suited the process of shooting the cannon from a phallic shaped aircraft, and all those rockets and splashing explosions.

I still have the capture files and i could recompile the movie with "Highway to the Dangerzone" just for you. :laugh:

@military1

I didn't paint the Superhornet, the process is called skinning but that's all i know about it... its a custom map and it contains credits to those who created it.

Comment

i dunno, getting on a guys tail and winning cause you have 6 missiles and hes out of flares..... the worst is when they miraculously dodge all 6 going in a straight line, making me go back for ammo and being vulnerable.

how come missiles hit even if you switched to air to ground? kind of an exploit.

also its very pronounced that the F18 dodges way too many missiles there, a turn shrugs off 6 of em. they ought to fix that.

Comment

@ICB

Ehm wait... did u just post in a wrong thread?

Comment

Shoutcast video download of the 3v3 Dogfight Tourney by EGLN,

Thanks to everyone who played on Dogfight Day! The public server will remain up so enjoy =)

Comment

Hm, i downloaded and watched parts of that 320 MB video. It's a pity everybody seems to use the Eurofighter.

To learn from ace pilots (like from Planewhore's famous Oman Video) a 'player cam' would be helpfull, and i know there is a way to broadcast it directly so everybody can see what the broadcaster would do from 1st person view. The person who did it had 2 video cards and steamed it directly to an internet site. Unfortunately only a few people could watch it at a time because of limited server capabilities. I haven't seen =PBF=TheMonarch for some time, but i could find more info if anybody is interested.

3rd person view insn't very spectacular or helpfull. The BR is pretty much useless IMHO.

Anyway if u think you are a descent pilot or even a 1337 PwZ0rer there is no other server to test/proove it.

Original Post with info. Click.

Comment

Originally posted by military1
                              ok how did you paint the air planes like the blue angles??

With spray/car paint!

Comment

Working...
                              X