Ram Fanatics I have a question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ram Fanatics I have a question?

Right now I have a mobo with a nforce 4 chipset and 4 dimms for ram...it supports dual channel. Right now I have 1 gig of pc2700 and 512 of pc2700. My first question is what does dual channel do, and do i need to have all 4 slots filled to get any benefit from the dual channel? I do know that to run dual channel I have to have identical modules in the indicated slots for dual channel. Also, I have the ability to overclock my ram and set timings, but I do now know anything about that so it has been left alone. Answers will be much appreciated.

Re: Ram Fanatics I have a question?

Originally posted by gogtaylor
    Right now I have a mobo with a nforce 4 chipset and 4 dimms for ram...it supports dual channel. Right now I have 1 gig of pc2700 and 512 of pc2700. My first question is what does dual channel do, and do i need to have all 4 slots filled to get any benefit from the dual channel? I do know that to run dual channel I have to have identical modules in the indicated slots for dual channel. Also, I have the ability to overclock my ram and set timings, but I do now know anything about that so it has been left alone. Answers will be much appreciated.
    Dual channel doubles your bandwidth. DDR has 64bits of memory bandwidth, and when run in dual channel it jumps to 128bits. An example would be taking for instance 2GB of bandwidth, and in dual channel that becomes 4GB.

As for performance, dual channel helps the A64 <10% or so. Athlon 64's are not really bandwidth starved so its not that big of an issue. Same with timings, lower timings 2-2-2-5 (probably the lowest any ram can run) is better but only by a few percentage points translating into 1 -2 FPS in a game on average.

Your setup now is good and you should keep it there. I wouldnt worry about your timings personally, but if you want to tighten them go ahead, you can probably run 2.5-3-3-8 @ 2T or so if your ram can take it. Running 4 sticks can hurt your timings, but it will really come down to the particular type of ram you have. And as your did not specify i have no idea the abilities.

Comment

Re: Ram Fanatics I have a question?

Thanks for the info. Made it alot more clear than most posts i have searched for. My ramis one Gigaram gigstick and 512 of some generic samsung ram i think. Cas is 2.5 on both and 2.5v i think.

Comment

Working...
      X