Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [B]4x512mb RAM vs 2x1gb RAM[/B]

hey guys

I have 4x512 corsair XMS 3200 RAM on a ASUS p4c800e deluxe mobo.
    what is better 2x1gb or 4x512mb.
    also i got a program called cpu-z and its telling me that my ram is running in dual channel but for performance mode is says "disabled" anyone use that program and know how to fix this?

finally i bought additional ram later on and the revision is different from the other corsair ram that i already had, would that make much of a difference?

thanks alot

mike

Re: 4x512mb RAM vs 2x1gb RAM

Originally posted by relikpL
    hey guys

I have 4x512 corsair XMS 3200 RAM on a ASUS p4c800e deluxe mobo.
    what is better 2x1gb or 4x512mb.
    also i got a program called cpu-z and its telling me that my ram is running in dual channel but for performance mode is says "disabled" anyone use that program and know how to fix this?

finally i bought additional ram later on and the revision is different from the other corsair ram that i already had, would that make much of a difference?

thanks alot

mike
    1) 2x1GB is better for dual channel
    2) I have no idea
    3) It would mess up the dual channel

I think I understood what you said..

Comment

have have 4 x 512mb hasn't messed up the dual channel at all.

Comment

Revision number won't make a huge diffrence. Ideally you would want the same revisions, but it's not always a huge deal.

As for 4x512 or 2x1GB, 4x512 will have better timings, but you can run 2x1GB at the 1T command rate which is a bigger boost than the tighter timings.

Comment

thanks alot for the help so far

still have a question....u didnt really make it clear whether revision numbers make a difference. i would assume that if its the same manufacturer, same model then everything should be ok and the revision number is only signals what "version" the RAM is.

also what is the 1T command that you mentioned is better than faster timings?

Comment

2 1 gb sticks will be the best way to go because if you use 4 512mb sticks then u will run into a problem which is called T-timing.google it if u need to know what t-iming is.

Comment

yea 512X4 might be good for dual channel i find that 2X 1 gigs much easier for it

Comment

Originally posted by relikpL
                thanks alot for the help so far

still have a question....u didnt really make it clear whether revision numbers make a difference. i would assume that if its the same manufacturer, same model then everything should be ok and the revision number is only signals what "version" the RAM is.

also what is the 1T command that you mentioned is better than faster timings?
                Revision number can make a diffrence, like if the manufacturer switches ram modules or something, but usually it won't cause any problems to have diffrent revisions.

cfr2006 doesn't really know what he's talking about, t-timings? Anywho to see more about the command rate, this should help you: http://www.overclock.net/faqs/26706-...s-dummies.html

Comment

nice guys thanks alot

how much of a performance difference is there between 2x1gb vs 4x512mb? I just want to make sure I didn't completely waste my money on the 2 new 512 sticks. thanks

Comment

note:i have 4 sticks and am able to go into 1t manually

Comment

Originally posted by sackynut
                      note:i have 4 sticks and am able to go into 1t manually
                      how do i do that and does it help?

im still wondering about the performance difference

Comment

Working...
                      X