Help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please

Hey guys, Ever since I upgraded to the BFG 7900GTX OC PCIe, I am unable to overclock my CPU in Bios. If I try to overclock it windows will not load. With my old card 6800GT PCIe I had my CPU overclocked and it worked fine. What gives? My PC spec is in my sig. If you need any other information I will be more than happy to give that to you.

Re: Help please

That's simple. You missed one very important spec - your power supply unit. What's it power (in Watts) and model?
    I had a problem in my lab running Windows on a 7800 GTX 512 (reference from nVidia) with Pentium HT 3.5 using 450W Spire power supply, so I asked my boss to buy me the ChiefTec 650. It works fine now and I do overclock both the GFX and CPU with no problem.

Comment

Its a Ultra X-Finity 500W. The card demands 300W. So 500W is not enough to overclock the CPU and run this video card?

Comment

should be....

I have run into weird problems like this with other mobos. I would suggest flashing to the latest BIOS from the MSI website and then trying. make sure that you also have a disk with the original (just incase). BUt I have heard of people not being able to overclock because of a BIOS issue or something. Though, I do not know why it is because of your new card.

also you have a lot of stuff, there is a possibility that yes, your PSU just cant take it.
        or maybe you are OCing wrong. remember to bring the ram down and up the voltage depending on the oc.

Comment

Sackynut's right... 500W is quite OK persuming you overclock like 20-30% of stock performance. It also depends how many devices such as HDDs and DVD-Rs you have connected.
          But my quess would be outdated BIOS just as sacky said. Besides I bet you didn't bring the voltages down before changing the GFXs If so, try to flash the BIOS, then upgrade it to the latest you find on your mb's vendors' site

Comment

Thanks guys, I will give that a try. Yea I still have my drivers with my mobo. But they way I am OC my CPU is using a friendly cell menu in my bios options. It does it for me. This is what I can select. Its called Dynamic overclocking: Private = increase CPU frequency by 1%
            Sergent= increase CPU frequency by 3%
            Captain= increase CPU frequency by 5%
            Colonel= increase CPU frequency by 7%
            General= increase CPU frequency by 9%
            Commandor= increase CPU frequency by 11%

I used to keep it on Colonel, now I can not select private. But let me update my bios and see if that helps. I let you all know.

Comment

Don't oc it that way. If you don't know what you're doing please stop now, you're only going to fry your machine.

Comment

yeah what mat said. dont do it like that, learn how, and then do it in your BIOS. so. uninstall that crap (after clocking down to stock again). make sure you are at stock settings. flash to newest bios. and OC in the BIOS BUT MAKE SURE you know what you are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by sackynut
                  yeah what mat said. dont do it like that, learn how, and then do it in your BIOS. so. uninstall that crap (after clocking down to stock again). make sure you are at stock settings. flash to newest bios. and OC in the BIOS BUT MAKE SURE you know what you are doing.
                  Its not a program. Its in my Bios. Its a feature that MSI has for the motherboard this mobo modle. If you still think I shouldn't do it this way then I take your advice.

Comment

oh, it IS in the BIOS?? wellI would back off for a little bit anyways. or do it manually. though, I have heard of that thing in the new k8n diamond mobo and it seems cool.

Comment

Originally posted by sackynut
                      oh, it IS in the BIOS?? wellI would back off for a little bit anyways. or do it manually. though, I have heard of that thing in the new k8n diamond mobo and it seems cool.
                      Yea it is. Does everything for me for noob like my self that do not know how to overclock CPU. Also in that Bios it has the same for my RAM. But yea, not going to do it manually. Think I just update bios, and if that does not work, then I guess I am SOL, and have to save up for a new CPU for faster performance. I like the AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 (939) but way to expinsive right now. Hopefully the price will go down buy the time I have some money saved.

Comment

I still wouldn't reccomend overclocking by that method, even if it is in the BIOS. As for the FX-60 don't even bother saving up for it. Just pick up and Opteron 165 or higher.

Comment

Listen to jimmy, this option may be in the bios (I have a msi board so I know what your talking about) but it really doesn't work that great, it's much safer to just go in and do it manually.

Comment

Working...
                          X