win xp pro or win 64

will also be using current atix1800xl
    and 4 sticks of 1gb ram
    and
    2 SATA 3g HD in raid 0

system to be use just for gaming and video editing

thanks

Re: cpu choice

I'm not too big on processors, but I heart the Opty's overclock very nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by TopGunGreg
      have ownsed dozens of Intel systems
      making the plunge to AMD
      so . . .
      opteron 144, 146, or 148
      or
      opteron 200 series
      or
      Athlon 3200 or 3700

win xp pro or win 64

will also be using current atix1800xl
      and 4 sticks of 1gb ram
      and
      2 SATA 3g HD in raid 0

system to be use just for gaming and video editing

thanks
      4 sticks of ram is not optimal as it slows down your memory slightly, but if you already have them go for it.

I would go with xp-64 bit if you have compatible software (note some software in compatible so double check before you buy), 4GB of ram is pushing beyond the limit that 32-bit windows can really address efficiently and since you do video editing 64 bit may help with performance.

RAID-0 is good if this is an editing machine, but just remember to make backups of your work.

For the CPU you want dual core no questions asked. If you OC an opteron 165 or 170 are your best candidates. Otherwise pick up a higher clocked X2. Realize that the ONLY reason people recommend Opterons for socket 939 on enthusiast/gamer/hardware forums is because they are tremendou overclockers. If your running stock get an X2.

You dont want a 200 series chip because they are socket 940 and will require you do dump your current ram in favor of registered DIMMS.

EDIT: You might want to pick up the FREE trial for XP-64 bit, it can be found with google and its off MS's site. Might come in handy and give you time to evaluate without cost and without doing anything illegal.

Comment

thanks twsmit

Comment

Ok, eliminate opty 200 series right off the bat. And i guess if i were to choose from those other choices, eliminate the A64 processors (3200 and 3700). Ok, right now, i believe the optys are about 40 bucks away from each other, but they all overclock well, especially if u get a CABNE (second best) or CABYE (extremely rare, best) stepping on ur opty. Ur probably gonna get like a CAB2E which is the worst, but that still overclocks better than most reg A64 processors. Ok, now comes down to another POSSIBLE decision, would u like to go dual core, they have the dual core opty 165 which is 1.8ghz, for somewhere in the 300 dollar range, it's a bit expensive, but it's worth it in the long run if u arn't gonna get the new AM2 processors. My advice, dump everything besides the 1xx series optys, then go from there. Outta the 144, 146, and 148, there isn't much difference, if u wanna overclock any good overclocker will get them to at least 2.6ghz on stock cooling, and people have gotten past 3ghz on a 146 on stock cooling.

Comment

I just went with the X2 3800 thing clocks like crazy, seems as tho all the latest ones do,,..

very happy so far with it

Comment

do you have to have anything to use the dual core, like win xp 64, or will it use both processors? I thought a dual core would be nice for gaming as it can run ur small virus scanner and ect applications on one processor and play with the other or something.

Comment

Do not get Windows 64, it is still too unstable, just stick with XP Pro untill Vista comes out. there is not much performance (if any0 increase by using 64 bit windows unless you are using more than 4 gig of RAM. get an opteron, they run veryu cool and are excelent for OC'ing. But if you do want to use the 64 bit eddition of windows, do as twsmit said and try the demo, if it doesnt work out, just switch back.

You will definelty want a dual core, dont get a single core if you are video editing. Running HD's in RAID 0 is good, but it is very risky, if you ask me, the increase in speed compared to how much more likley you are to lose everything is just not worth it. If either of the HD's go down, then you will lose all your data, so either have a 3rd HD for backing up onto, or just use them without RAID.

Comment

Working...
                X