video cards etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• video cards etc.

I was wondering: I looked at the ATi x1900xt and the x1900xtx (notice the extra X).

The only difference I could tell was a slower clock speed on the xt, but maybe 100mhz at most... yet its 200$ less (almost). They both has 512mb and everything else, I was wondering if the clock is the only difference between them?

also: I have a bunch of money in the form of cash and gift cards to computer stores (all the same store) and I was wondering what I should do with it. I was thinking (and Ill post reasoning behind them):

a. x1900xt/xtx (but then I would have two spare 6800g's laying around and that would be a huge ass waste)

b. 7800gtx (same thing, I would have two spare 6800gs's)

c. wait for 7900 and get it (I would have two 6800gs's but the performance might be worth it)

d. wait, and use all the money towards new vista-ready junk when it comes out. (IE. mobo, CPU, Video card, OS: and pray I have enough money by then for everything)

any suggestions, or maybe something else I could buy to make my current rig better: for this I was thinking along the lines of (and this is, of course, if I decide to use my money for this):

a. new mobo and processer (my mobo doesnt support x2)

b. new x2 processer and flash my bios to support x2 (i tried this once and It wouldnt boot after I flashed, so I had to flash back down again)

c. a bunch of video games (HL2, COD2 etc)

Re: video cards etc.

IMO 512 isnt nessecary just yet.

Comment

if you look at the benchmarks between a 256gtx and a 512gtx, the 512 scores much better, but still my original question... ^

Comment

See if the locals or someone on ebay wants to buy your 6800GS cards. Then wait for the 7900 to come out, which should drive the prices for the other cards down.

Comment

Well here is the thing, if you wait, then the 7900 comes out but then again so does the next series of Radeon card. Its a constant battle with cards being released about every 6 months or so. Right now the best card is the 1900XTX. Keep in mind you will need a Crossfire enabled mobo to run dual cards. If you have an SLi board, then just get the 7800GTX its more then enough, or wait for the 7900.

Comment

The 7900 is a small speed bump, just higher clocks and a smaller manufacturing process, nothing revolutionary.

Also to answer the main question the 1900XT and XTX are the same card, just different clocks. (another reason to never buy the top end card, waste of money)

To note though... WTF ARE YOU THINKING? You have two brand new video cards, the 6800GS was just released like yesterday, and you already want to upgrade?

Sell them on ebay, a FS/T forum, or locally.

Additionally vista is not some special uber OS that will need some revolutionary new hardware, i have tried out the beta and its just XP with some eye candy. The only new hardware anyone will need will be HDCP copy protection for blu ray and HD DVD movies, and even then that stuff has yet to be released. It will also require a new video card, monitor and obviously DVD player, so i wouldnt wait on that stuff.

The next batch of actually revolutionary video cards should be out christmas 2006 or early 2007. In that time frame, on or around when vista launches.

Other than that you have a good computer. I will say the dual 6800GS was probably a bone headed move, buying two low end cards for SLI... but it was your choice.. lol

If i were in your shoes i would sit on the money, you dont need to upgrade unless you have a really high resolution monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by sackynut
              if you look at the benchmarks between a 256gtx and a 512gtx, the 512 scores much better, but still my original question... ^
              The 512 also has much higher clock speeds.
              But as for your original question, I'd just stick with what you have for now. It ought to be playing games at high (maybe some settings at medium with UT2007) until DX10 games ome out

Comment

I say wait for the 7900gtx, if it's not as good as the x1900xt, then don't get it. If it is, you'll be glad you waited. Just sell of the old 6800's.

As for the new cpu, I would def. recommend the x2 3800+. I just got one for my dad and its sitting at 2.4ghz using the stock vcore and crappy aluminum heatsink! As for the mobos, you know which ones I like.

Comment

actaully, you might have vista beta, but it doesnt come with DX10, people will still need dx10 cards for gaming.

Comment

You dont need a DX10 video card unless your playing a DX10 game. Those will slowly trickle in during 2007-2008, and even then they will be backwards compatible to DX9 cards.

Comment

well, i have a x1900xt and i love it. i would recommend it if you only want to get a new video card. i'm trying to oc my proc and hold on to it a bit longer before upgrading it. i'm noticing some bottlenecking a bit but not too much. just do whatever you want with your money. i had a hard decision to make also. i was gonna get a 7800 gtx and an x2 proc a while ago, but i decided to opt for a better video card and buy a proc later. it's tough to choose the upgrade path you want. good luck to you.

Comment

Wait till the Dx10 cards come out. No point getting new cards now, they'll be outdated soooo quickly.

-Ben

Comment

You guys grow money in your backyard, you are upgrading FROM 2x 6800?? I can only imagine getting one 6800 in my dreams...

Comment

^^^ How i feel.. why waste two good 6800's... surely they give you alot of punch in games... But if you really want to upgrade now, go 1900XT, and OC or if you going to wait little, then wait for the DX10.

Comment

dont tell anyone, but I have a money tree lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X