• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI x800 Crossfire crashes, help plz

system build:
    DFI RDX200 12-23-05 Bios
    AMD x2 3800 (OC 2.4 ghz 1.36v)
    OCZ Platinum 2x1G (220mhz 2.5-2-3-5 2.80v)
    Antec Truepower 2.0 550w PSU
    ati x800XL (no PCI-e power connector on card)
    Saphire x800 Xfire Master card (no PCI-e Power connector on card either)
    2x74g Seagate Raid 0 on SB chipset

Prime Stable
    Memtest Stable
    Hangs on Any 3d game with Crossfire enabled I throw at it anywhere from 3mins in to 4hrs( I Thought I had finally solved the problem then it hung =[ )

Runs completely stable w/o Crossfire enabled

I've ran Each graphics card by itself and they both seem to be working fine more then a day of gaming under their belts with no problems.

Ok after one week of just utter confusion I bring you my analysis. That the BIOS just isn't giving them enogh power simply due to the fact that neither of the makers of these cards had the sense to just put the 6-pin extra power connection on the cards. I Mean I can't find anything else that could possibly be wrong. The Temps never get over 60c on the master card and barely ever get to 50c on the Slave card. The other option is that its just some sort of wild occurance between These parts and games where its corrupting graphical data.

It hangs at everything stock so I"ve just given up on that and OC'ed stuff. I doubt there's anyone out there with this EXACT same system. Any ideas on what migh be causing these hangs or how i could tweak the card to test other options for what the problem might be would be great. Thanks

Re: ATI x800 Crossfire crashes, help plz

moved.

Comment

You are running 2 different video cards. I don't think crossfire is going to play nice in that set up.

It's "recomended" to use 2 identical video cards to enable crossfire or SLI

Comment

I think that's the issue yes, they need identical just like dual channel ram.

Comment

LOL! YOU ACTUALLY BOUGHT CROSSFIRE!?!?! :thatsbad: :rofl: sorry jk, umm, back to the point, yeah what they said. wait is it that your PCIe power connectors arent connected to it? or that there is no plug for them on the card? because if there is a plug, and they arent plugged in, thats your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by sackynut
            LOL! YOU ACTUALLY BOUGHT CROSSFIRE!?!?! :thatsbad: :rofl: sorry jk, umm, back to the point, yeah what they said. wait is it that your PCIe power connectors arent connected to it? or that there is no plug for them on the card? because if there is a plug, and they arent plugged in, thats your problem.
            There are no 6pin power connectors on a PCI-e X800XL, i have one, so i know that there are no power connectors.

Comment

you guys are mistaken about the identical cards being the problem, your thinking of the SLI setup for Nvidia cards, this is the ATI crossfire system where you only need a master card, and a second card in the same series, in my case the x800 series, which i have. So thats deffinatly not it. Still looking for a possible fix to this problem, no one seems to be able to crack it.

Comment

Well When i tested crossfire it was crap and it didnt like 2 different cards It was very unstable and doind everything youtr describing there!

Comment

See? People call us Nvidia fanboys and this is the crap that happens with ATi. When was the last time you heard of SLI failing on someone?

Comment

Originally posted by Flanker
                    See? People call us Nvidia fanboys and this is the crap that happens with ATi. When was the last time you heard of SLI failing on someone?
                    Not sure, but there is no way in hell you could convince me to go crossfire on the x8XX series cards, because it's a complete joke.

Comment

Maybe less make him feel worse and more help him find a solution jeez <_<
                      I can't help but Im sure these guys arent making you feel better over your problem.
                      I'd call ATI support.

Comment

Working...
                      X