Hard drive question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard drive question...

I had BF2 on a samsung EIDE 120gb 7200 rpm, same drive as Winderz XP Pro, SP2...(etc) with an NTFS file structure. I did a fresh install Winderz XP install, moved BF2 to an older fujitsu 19.0 gb 7200 rpm hard drive, with the thinking that having the OS and BF2's 3.0gb on different drives might speed things up. A tad. Maybe.

My expectations were 180 degrees from reality The map loading seems to go a somewhat slower (maybe 20-30%). The "verifying client data" sometimes takes 3 - 5 minutes, which (as I recall) used to take one minute. I swear, by the time I "join game", my team is often defending the last flag (of course, then I UberNooberToober the attackers into NooBlivion).

So, my question is should I go back and reinstall BF2 back on the shiny (shinier--it's not a million dollar 10k SATA jobbie) samsung? Or should I leave well enough alone, since the thing runs smoothly, but loads slowly? (note, I'm still VERY happy with framerate) Any suggestions (other than go out and buy a MB with SATA connectors, 2x multimillion dollar 10,000 hard drives, a couple of $400 dollar SLI cards, and--what the heck--a new processor while we're deconstructing).

ATI x800xt AIW (Yes, I like it. Very much. And no, I don't care Nvidia rulez the darn r00st around here. Capture video from your camcorder, and record Wings over the Pacific from the History Channel on your BFGeeThatsExpensive 780000gtoXZ stock overclocked to 90000mhz, and then we'll compare the two.)
    P4 3.0 Prescott
    Antec 380W
    Samsung 120gb 7200
    Fujitus 19gb 7200 (probably around six years old).
    Asus p4s800-mx
    Cooling performed by two 120mm fans that might've doubled in life as trolling motors.

Re: Hard drive question...

Moved to Hardware.

Comment

Are you sure the Fujistu is 7200RPM? Also RPM isn't everything check the seek time on that thing. Also how much RAM do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by KingOfKhaos
        Are you sure the Fujistu is 7200RPM? Also RPM isn't everything check the seek time on that thing. Also how much RAM do you have?
        Yes. Sure about the HD RPM. RAM is 2x512mb @ 400mhz. Thanks for reply. New EIDE drives appear to have become much cheaper than the original $100000006000 I paid for my primary drive. May just get another "modern" HD, with the 8mb cache ata133, etc. Newegg slays.

Comment

You can get a SATA harddrive for around $50. HDs are becoming cheaper and cheaper. lol

Comment

Originally posted by KingOfKhaos
            Thats because they will be phased out in the next 5 years by RAM drives.

Mega:

My best guess is the seek time on that harddrive is a little longer. Although I'm not sure about that. I couldn't see any other reason as to why it would take so long. Is the 19GB drive formatted in NTFS as well? Or FAT32? If its FAT or FAT32 then try re-formatting it with NTFS.
            Thanks for reply. Fujitsu mpg3204AH rated at 8.4ms seek. It has a 2mb cache. RW seek time is ~11-14ms (from independent review). The 19gb is formatted NTFS.

I think I found the answer--it has an ATA100 controller, 25% slower than the ATA133 on the Samsung. I thought that having BF2 on it's own HD, seperate from Windows XP might make it faster, in spite of the more limited HD. But...

Naaah. Not so much.

Probably get an el cheapo ATA133 drive with an 8mb cache. Or maybe save up for another Samsung spinpoint. It's whisper quiet and fast, for not multi-million in scratch. Until then, I'll probably keep playing using the 19gb (NO complaints with frame rates, just wish it wasn't always up to me teleport in five minutes after the game starts and save the day. Sometimes, the responsibility of being a megawhomper is overwhelming. But I try not to let it go to my head. )))

Thanks again for all the replies.

Comment

Originally posted by rymaples
              You can get a SATA harddrive for around $50. HDs are becoming cheaper and cheaper. lol
              Thats because they will be phased out in the next 5 years by RAM drives.

Mega:

My best guess is the seek time on that harddrive is a little longer. Although I'm not sure about that. I couldn't see any other reason as to why it would take so long. Is the 19GB drive formatted in NTFS as well? Or FAT32? If its FAT or FAT32 then try re-formatting it with NTFS.

Comment

Working...
              X