Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best videocard I can get in the $100-$130 range?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best videocard I can get in the $100-$130 range?

Hello, I'm looking into a new videocard for this game because right now, I'm running on a Radeon 9200, which I have to switch to AGP 4x to work with the game, and can only run on all the lowest settings. Also, the mod editor doesn't work at all, which I'd like to use and try my hand at map editing with.

So I'm thinking about spending around the price range in the title, as I don't have the cash to invest in anything huge (nor the computer to match).

I'm running with an ASUS A7N8X-E motherboard (AGP slots, no PCI), an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (perhaps I'll look into a 64 3000+ soon also), and a gig of RAM.

Right now I'm looking at this at NewEgg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102586 A Sapphire Radeon X700 256MB AGP 4X/8X. Seems like I should be able to run everything on atleast the medium settings and put shadows in it and such, and have minimal lag (making sure to get something with atleast 256MB of memory in it).

The X700 PCI has problems with its digital slot, but this is the AGP and no complaints have come from it, and I don't use any digital monitors anyways, except I convert the digital slot to analog to use a second monitor.

So, is this a good card? I think it's a good deal, but I'd also like to know what Nvidia's equivalent to it is, and if I can find it around the same price, as I often hear Nvidia is much more reliable and higher quality than ATI products.

Re: Best videocard I can get in the $100-$130 range?

For the price, that is an OK ATI card.

But, for nVidia, I would seriously recommend atleast a 6600

Buy XFX GeForce 6600 256MB DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card PVT43KUDF3 with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

But, if I were to get a card out of one of the two listed (ATI or nVidia), I'd get the ATI just for better specs.

Comment

If you willing to spend an extra $70 dollars you could buy a Nvidia GeForce 6800GT its well worth the money. It can run most setting on high with x4 AA.Theres no problems i just go one and so far its been fine, never crashed on me once. Make sure you have at 1.5GB of ram though or else you cant play setting on high smoothly. I would aslo recommend buying another stick 1GB ram, well worth money, it makes a huge difference trust me. enjoy

Comment

I'm pretty sure I could get more RAM (my dad works with computers and gets spare parts often, plus one of his less used computer has 2GB of RAM in it...), but mind providing me some links to a $200 6800GT? I've searched for them and found an incredible amount of different companies selling their versions of them (for example Sapphire selling ATI products), and had no idea which ones were reliable and which were good for the price. But I am interested in a 6800GT.

Comment

I wouldn't go for the expensive ones like sapphire cards there too expensive and are just as good as the cheap ones. I would recommend XFX graphics cards. I got my 6800GT for about £200 pound mark (yes its in english) its about $160-70 in america. search around until you've found a nice cheap price, its well worth the extra searching if you find a good deal.

Comment

Will do.

But, Sapphire, expensive?? The Sapphire card I posted up there's original ATI model goes for $200 >.> IMO Sapphire's prices are rather inexpensive for what you get (especially since X700's are rather new, not too new, but not old).

EDIT: Woops, didn't see a Hardware forum, sorry ^_^;

Comment

Oh, moved to Hardware, by the way.

Comment

Bump >.>

Anyone have any links to any 6800GT's? Like where you've bought some in the past for a good price with good performance?

Comment

Originally posted by Mit
                  Bump >.>

Anyone have any links to any 6800GT's? Like where you've bought some in the past for a good price with good performance?
                  e-bay

Comment

if you are the type of person who doesnt like the thought of ebay then newegg.com or zipzoomfly.com

Comment

Mit my recent research on this subject indicates that you can find a good nvidia 6600 card in this price range go to the discount online sites and check like newegg and tigerdirect. they will have numerous variations of 6600 cards read the detailed specs and get the best one you can afford.you can run bf2 on medium settings with this card.nvidia will be your best bet to run bf2.the 6800 is the minimum standard that will run bf2 on high settings however may be a little out of your price range. dont hesitate to settle for a 6600 though it performs well on medium settings.remember that bf2 is ram thirsty and try to have as much ram as you can afford. the two work hand in hand to give you in game performance with the least problems.

Comment

Working...
                      X