Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athlon 64 Overclocking

Hi guys!
    Question for all you tech wizards out there.

I have an MSI K8N neo Platinum Mboard with a A64 3800 Venice CPU.
    At this moment in time i have not yet bought a decent heatsink and am still running stock speeds with the original heatsink and fan.

Is it advisable to overclock my cpu with the stock heatsink and fan, or is it not recommended until i upgrade to a better heatsink?

Whilst on the subject of a heatsink, I'm looking at a Thermalright XP90C.
    Any comments for or against would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Re: Athlon 64 Overclocking

do not overclock with the stock heatsink and fan they are very underpowered

there are many aftermarket coolers that work great it dpeends on what u want quiet or noisy as hell thermaltake work very nicely

also make sure u have plenty of case coolingtoo no good blowing hot air over a hot cpu

Comment

I didn't fool around with mine, (Athlon64 3800+ too) but mine was factory OC'ed from 2.4 GHz to 3.8

Comment

You can get a nice overclock with stock cooling. Temps are your main concern. With better cooling, you can keep the temps lower resulting in higher achievable clock speeds. This isn't the forum to get sound advice on overclocking. I would HIGHLY recommend visiting www.guru3d.com www.tomshardware.com or similar tech forums for advice if your new at this.

Comment

ur 3800 is OC'ed to 3.8GHZ holy ****!

Comment

Originally posted by MazXFreddy
            I didn't fool around with mine, (Athlon64 3800+ too) but mine was factory OC'ed from 2.4 GHz to 3.8

You have no idea what you are talking about. I'd like to see a screenshot.

Comment

Originally posted by lil_jimmy_norton
              same here.

i have my 3200 venice at 2411 241x10 divider at 166, and stock cooling and i have NEVER seen the temps pass 40

lol if that guy posted the 3.8 thing on oc forums they would slap him in the face, i have seen fx-57s do 4.0 stable, and that was on ln2 (liquid nitrogen).

Comment

Make that thirded, for I have never seen an amd processor that could go that fast, except for maybe a fx-57.

Comment

but mine was factory OC'ed from 2.4 GHz to 3.8
                  lol , want to see this to, what is this liquid N cooling or what ??
                  If I remember correctly some dude broke the 3dmark05 with a single X1800XT card on 1Ghz and his FX-57 was running on 3.8 Ghz , both where cooled with liquid N (CPU temp was -100 degrees) .

For topicstarter , OC can with stock cooler , just use a program for monitoring your temps, start with small OC , look at it's temp gain idle and stressed compard to non OC .
                  What is your current temps ??

Do not go over 70 degrees stressed!!!!!!!!! they can handle it but it isn't heathy and not good for stability.

cooler you want to buy isn't bad, but the new zalman is better, the 9500 .

Comment

Originally posted by rombaft
                    lol , want to see this to, what is this liquid N cooling or what ??
                    If I remember correctly some dude broke the 3dmark05 with a single X1800XT card on 1Ghz and his FX-57 was running on 3.8 Ghz , both where cooled with liquid N (CPU temp was -100 degrees) .

For topicstarter , OC can with stock cooler , just use a program for monitoring your temps, start with small OC , look at it's temp gain idle and stressed compard to non OC .
                    What is your current temps ??

Do not go over 70 degrees stressed!!!!!!!!! they can handle it but it isn't heathy and not good for stability.

cooler you want to buy isn't bad, but the new zalman is better, the 9500 .
                    Over 70? I wouldn't reccomend anything over 50-55.

Comment

Over 70? I wouldn't reccomend anything over 50-55.

that is girl talk, realy those urban myths over CPU's that they have to run 50-55degrees is crap.

Realy, CPU's can run 65 degrees perfectly stable without any damaging at all.
                      Even temps of 75 degrees won't damage your CPU , your system will only become unstble.
                      The tempo where your CPU will start to damage and after some time DIE , is 80 degrees for AMD and 90 degrees for intels (since prescott core).

Comment

Originally posted by rombaft
                        The tempo where your CPU will start to damage and after some time DIE , is 80 degrees for AMD and 90 degrees for intels (since prescott core).
                        Only 90? Don't prescott's run at that temp anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Sir. MatDef
                          Only 90? Don't prescott's run at that temp anyway?

lol , I use one at this moment speaking (just for couple of weeks untill I get some other stuff) with stock cooler they run 60 degrees +/- 5 degrees .

Have set a zalman 7700cu on it and nog it runs 50 +/- 5 degrees .

they are just major powerconsumers without giving the actual power

Comment

You can, just watch your vcore. After it starts going over 50C under stress either leave the voltage where it's at or bring it down the smallest amount possible. Then treat the rest of your OC like that is the max voltage you can get to.

Comment

ummmmm how can a cpu be factory over clocked never heard of it no way would amd sell a lower cost cpu with blazing speed they wouldn't they would change the label and say amd 3,8 and sell it as such

and yes i want to see a screenshot of that speed as well get cpuid or something and lets see the settings

Comment

Working...
                              X