Ram Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ram Question

hey, my motherboard support DDR ram so currently, i have 2 X 256 DDR ram with the same brand... But im now aiming for 2 gig ram.. So can a motherboard have a 4 slot which consist of 2 X256MB , 1 X512MB and 1 X1GB ?? Coz, im upgrading my Comp to 2 gig or ram.

Re: Ram Question

Probably, but I'd recommend you purchase a 2gig kit and discard the rest. You'll see better performance with 2x1Gb sticks, or 4x512Mb sticks. If you're going to have them running dual channel they'll have to match.

Comment

Originally posted by lcplsickoll
      Probably, but I'd recommend you purchase a 2gig kit and discard the rest. You'll see better performance with 2x1Gb sticks, or 4x512Mb sticks. If you're going to have them running dual channel they'll have to match.
      Ermm, i dont have enough money... im buying 1 X 1 gig of DDR and 1X 512MB of DDR ram...will this slot affect the performance of the ram? By a large extent or small extent?

Comment

How much is the 1 1g and 1 512M gonna cost? It depends on the quality of what you have and what you're getting. The PC will clock down to run at the rate of the slowest stick in there. It probably won't be as stable as with a matched set, but you may never notice. You'll notice an improvement over the 2x256's, but it won't be as drastic as getting a 2Gb kit. I know in the US you'd pay about $150 for 1-1Gb and 1-512Mb unmatched sticks, and a 2Gb kit, 2x1Gb, would run around 190-200. Bottom line, you'll notice an improvement, but not as much of one.

Comment

I'm with lcplsickoll on this one.. Scrap your old 256MB sticks, and buy 2 x 1GB modules - and of course run them in dual channel.

By completely renewing your RAM, you might be able to buy even faster RAM than what you've currently got, depending on whether or not your motherboard/cpu/bus can take it.

Either way, go for 2 x 1GB sticks. I've checked some prices, and it shouldn't be more than about 25-30% more expensive than 1.5GB - and if you sell your old RAM sticks it wont be much more expensive than what you originally had planned!

By the way.. can you please post what motherboard you have, and what RAM you've got (especially the speed)? And your CPU specs could be valuable too.
          This way it'll be way easier to advice you

Comment

It aint goanna work if it is dual channel! you have to match them! You may not have the money now, but you should just save it up then to get a 2gig kit from newegg for 160.00 the corsair value RAM 512mb x 2 is 86.00 do grt 2 sets for the 190. 0r whatever

Comment

As I stated earlier and it's been reiterated, you won't get Dual Channel withou matched sticks. You also must make sure that you mobo will support dual channel over 4 slots as some won't. I still Highly recommend saving a little longer and getting a 2x1Gb kit of quality dual channel DDR.

Comment

What did I say echoooo echooo echooo

Comment

Originally posted by jiruggiero
                  What did I say echoooo echooo echooo
                  Ditto, and I was pointing out that not all Mobo's that support Dual Channel do so over all 4 slots. Therefore 4x512's may or maynot be supported in DC. That's why I recommended 2x1Gb.

Comment

you are right I agree

Comment

Originally posted by Berrern
                      By the way.. can you please post what motherboard you have, and what RAM you've got (especially the speed)? And your CPU specs could be valuable too.
                      This way it'll be way easier to advice you
                      Here is my motherboard:

Or

That link for my motherboard... I think my ram speed is 400mhz .. if im not wrong... Btw, what is DIMM ?? It stated at my motherboard near the ram slot.
                      Can my motherboard support DDR ram?? Dual channel? The ram im using is DDR. HELP.. IM NOT GOOD IN THIS STUFF.

And my comp Spec:
                      P4 3.0GHZ
                      ATI X300 Series 128MB <-------- Will be changind to ATI X800GT 256MB
                      512MB of DDR ram (2X256) <------ Will be using 2 gig of DDR ram.

So how? With this spec.. i will be playing bf2 on what setting?

Comment

Help pls.

Comment

Well then..

First of all, DIMM is just the word for the RAM "card", it's nothing to worry about.

On your motherboard, as you can see, there are two blue slots and two black slots for the DIMMs. The blue slots are dual channel.
                          Dual channel enables the RAM to run faster, so your best bet is definitely a 1GB stick in each of these slots.

I see that you're also upgrading your graphics card, but I'm not sure it's a good idea. You see, AGP cards are on their way out, and if you go and buy that x800 now, you'll have problems selling it next time you're gonna upgrade (which will probably be to a PCI-express system).
                          If I were you, I'd save up for a new motherboard (with PCI-e and SLI support), CPU and PCI-express graphics card. Maybe you have to wait a bit longer, but it'll be worth it. Also, the next time you want to upgrade, you can simply just add another graphic card and run them both in SLI

If waiting isn't an option though, I'd go for 2 x 1GB of Corsair Value Select RAM, it shouldn't be more than about $200-250.

With the planned upgrades you've listed, I reckon you'll be able to run everything on High, apart from a few settings. With a little bit of luck you might be able to add some AA aswell!

Comment

Originally posted by Berrern
                            Well then..

First of all, DIMM is just the word for the RAM "card", it's nothing to worry about.

On your motherboard, as you can see, there are two blue slots and two black slots for the DIMMs. The blue slots are dual channel.
                            Dual channel enables the RAM to run faster, so your best bet is definitely a 1GB stick in each of these slots.

I see that you're also upgrading your graphics card, but I'm not sure it's a good idea. You see, AGP cards are on their way out, and if you go and buy that x800 now, you'll have problems selling it next time you're gonna upgrade (which will probably be to a PCI-express system).
                            If I were you, I'd save up for a new motherboard (with PCI-e and SLI support), CPU and PCI-express graphics card. Maybe you have to wait a bit longer, but it'll be worth it. Also, the next time you want to upgrade, you can simply just add another graphic card and run them both in SLI

If waiting isn't an option though, I'd go for 2 x 1GB of Corsair Value Select RAM, it shouldn't be more than about $200-250.

With the planned upgrades you've listed, I reckon you'll be able to run everything on High, apart from a few settings. With a little bit of luck you might be able to add some AA aswell!
                            He's nailed it right on the head. Listen to this mans' advice.

Comment

Berrern thanks a lot... As i am saying, i will be buying a ATI X800GT PCI Express X16 .. i think this card run great at my motherboard. Agree? My motherboard can support that card rite??

Comment

Working...
                              X