Is my video card overheating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my video card overheating?

I just played halo, the menu was all f'd up with random lines cutting through, this happens in just about every in-gamemenu except for BF2.

I also have had troubles with my pc just crashing and random screens with colored stripes and boxes on the screen. Sorta like wallpaper for a house.

It hasn't happened in about in hour yet. I don't know if it's a monitor problem though. I do poke at it, cus it makes this cool dot. Did i ruin it? or is my video card over-heating. I have an nvidia geforce 5700.

Re: Is my video card overheating?

i would ask this in the client support or hardware forum, but i would say something is very wrong there.

Comment

Where can i find a internal temperature program, that tells you what the temp is.

i've tried this-
      Displays information from the sensor chips on your motherboard. ...

but i didn't know how to use it.

Comment

I just found out that it might be wattage, the 5700 requires 350, how do i change my own or find out how much i have??

Comment

to find our your wattage, open up your case and look on the power supply. To fidn out your temperatures you have to go into your BIOS. tomshardware just released a good article on how to use your BIOS.

And I'm guessing your're using an LCD screen. Don't poke it! It will kill the pixles

Comment

Yea, i've been using an lcd screen, i'm not so sure about opening it because i've never done it before, any other way to check the wattage?

Comment

Look on your power supply. It will tell you there.

Comment

Where is my power supply? i seriously need to look into some pc classes.

Comment

Your PSU usually sits in the back of your computer. Most sit on the 'ceiling' of your case. It's looks like a metal box with lots of red/yellow/black wires coming out if it. The specs for the supply are listed on the supply.
                  If your videocard has a fan then make sure its spinning.

Comment

Originally posted by Mutrino
                    Your PSU usually sits in the back of your computer. Most sit on the 'ceiling' of your case. It's looks like a metal box with lots of red/yellow/black wires coming out if it. The specs for the supply are listed on the supply.
                    If your videocard has a fan then make sure its spinning.
                    Well, i dunno, last i saw the 5700 didn't have a fan, and back then i doubt that they had fan connectors, they didn't require such power.

Comment

Has your Vid card been OC'ed at all, that can cause it to stuff up, and if it is OC'ed now, then it sounds like its been OC'ed to high...

Comment

Maybe your card is being OC to much..

Comment

Yea, my bro tried to oC my Vid card, but he did it too much and i was getting all there lines in the start menu and on my wallaper, then in the games i would get black spots and blackj areas of land.. yours sounds similar so is it OC'ed?

Comment

It doesn't matter how powerful your PSU is because 5700s never required a power connector. They did have fans though.

If you're going to OC it then get a set of tweaked drivers and just hit "detect optimal settings" if you're worried about OC'ing too much. Also open up the side of your case and look to make sure the fan is spinning properly.

Comment

Working...
                            X