Need Help - Hardware Junkies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help - Hardware Junkies

Is it possible to swap motherboards? I mean, can I take my 3200XP out of my ASUS A7V8X-LA motherboard and put it in a new mobo? If so, will I be able to overclock my ram/video card/cpu after swapping motherboards?

what I want to upgrade to:

and my current motherboard (from an HP Pavilion a800n):

Re: Need Help - Hardware Junkies

Your first problem m8 is the case that the MOBO motherboard is housed in now.

I take it is a HP computer with an ASUS "LA" MOBO in it?
    The "LA" stands for a specially made MOBO made smaller than the standard ASUS A7V8X mobo, specially to fit a case made for the HP company.
    Also the HP ASUS mobo and case has specially placed holes to screw fit the MoBo to the case which I believe are not the same as any standard size MOBO.
    Therefore when you come to fit a new standard size MOBO in the HP case the new mobo may not fit due to its larger size and the holes in different places to the ones on the case so you cant fit the MOBO.

So in plain turms no you may not be able to do a straight swap on mobos.

IMHO i would be looking at how much you can afford to do a complete "new" home build and take it from there.

Or if cost is a factor then chose very cairfuly the right Mobo for your future use and all the cost to kit it out with hardware whether it be the hardware you have in the HP or upgrading.
    Also a "New" case, not a pretty one, but one that is practical well ventilated and has lots of room and can cope with water or Phase cooling in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatWhiteShark
      Your first problem m8 is the case that the MOBO motherboard is housed in now.

I take it is a HP computer with an ASUS "LA" MOBO in it?
      The "LA" stands for a specially made MOBO made smaller than the standard ASUS A7V8X mobo, specially to fit a case made for the HP company.
      Also the HP ASUS mobo and case has specially placed holes to screw fit the MoBo to the case which I believe are not the same as any standard size MOBO.
      Therefore when you come to fit a new standard size MOBO in the HP case the new mobo may not fit due to its larger size and the holes in different places to the ones on the case so you cant fit the MOBO.

So in plain turms no you may not be able to do a straight swap on mobos.

IMHO i would be looking at how much you can afford to do a complete "new" home build and take it from there.

Or if cost is a factor then chose very cairfuly the right Mobo for your future use and all the cost to kit it out with hardware whether it be the hardware you have in the HP or upgrading.
      Also a "New" case, not a pretty one, but one that is practical well ventilated and has lots of room and can cope with water or Phase cooling in the future.
      I agree 100%

Comment

hay Rallica
        I'm interested in what you decide to do etc plz post back and keep us updated thx.
        Sharky

Comment

Also if you change mobos Windows XP will freak out with a different chipset so you will have to reinstall WINDOWS.

Comment

Thanks for the input Sharky. From what I've read, it looks like I'll be buying a new case, along with the mobo and a gig of 3200 corsair ram. I mainly want to switch mobos because of ram. The mobo that I have now only supports PC2700 and the one linked supports 3200. So if I decide to go PCI-E in the future, I'll have decent ram to install. Here's the case that I'm deciding on buying:

Buy Rosewill TU-155 Black 0.8mm SGCC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with 400W(20+4 pin) Power Supply with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Cheap, reliable, and looks great.

Comment

Nice pick...................looks good

Comment

ooh, forgot to post my final specs:
                AMD +3200xp athlon
                Corsair 1gig PC3200
                XFX Geforce 6800GT 256MB
                160GB 8mb cache 7,200rpm Seagate

Comment

Whisper ............before you get the case consider... just / only the case,...."then" getting a more powerful PSU for around the same price

Comment

Originally posted by Rallica
                    ooh, forgot to post my final specs:
                    AMD +3200xp athlon
                    Corsair 1gig PC3200
                    XFX Geforce 6800GT 256MB
                    160GB 8mb cache 7,200rpm Seagate
                    Wow, my specs exactly, same ram and everything.

Comment

Thread moved.

Comment

Working...
                      X